The Black Hound FAQ

Sammael

I bet you could make it so that the game uses 2d image portraits instead of the 3d heads it uses now. At the very least, it'd take some editing of the UI xml files though.

I think it's wiser to stick with the 3d heads though, myself. To get the character models to adequately resemble those characters in the portraits would require some really high quality custom head models, and if they were of so high a quality, ya might as well let the game use 'em as the portraits.

• 2 weeks later...
I could live with lowe rlevels; but BG1 is not greater than BG2. Lesser role-playing, lesser quality of writing, less interesting characters, not as fun or challenging combat, and the list goes.

But, levels 1-8 for the BH is cool for me.

Why, BG1 had some cool fights. Like the BG tavern brawl and against those adventurer parties you found throughout the game.

And really, Durlag

• 1 month later...
I could live with lowe rlevels; but BG1 is not greater than BG2. Lesser role-playing, lesser quality of writing, less interesting characters, not as fun or challenging combat, and the list goes.

But, levels 1-8 for the BH is cool for me.

Why, BG1 had some cool fights. Like the BG tavern brawl and against those adventurer parties you found throughout the game.

And really, Durlag

I never cared much for Watcher Keep but I thoroughly enjoyed Durlag's Tower. That was the best part of Baldur's Gate. I will usually advance my party high enough in level quickly so I can go there earlier in the game compared to later.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Watcher's Keep was a POS as was the ToB expansion. BG2 was better without it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

No. WK is fantastic. TOB was also greta. It had the best role-playing, and writing (outside the stupid main villainess) of the BG series.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No. WK is fantastic. TOB was also greta. It had the best role-playing, and writing (outside the stupid main villainess) of the BG series.

Hardly. Being able to leave at any time killed any sort of challenge the dungeon had. Also the "themed" levels didn't allow any sort of cohesiveness to the dungeon. Thematically it was a huge mess that made little or no sense.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

There weren't "convenient" portals that you can just jump out of and leave in Durlag's. If you wanted to leave Durlag's Tower you had to walk all the way out, which was how I liked it. Watcher's Keep was poorly designed and lame. It is a fine example of how not make a dungeon. That is one thing I miss in some of the newer DnD games like NWN2. A good solid multi-tiered dungeon romp like Durlag's Tower. Maybe there might be one in Black Hound.

You lose. ToB was not the best of expansions. It felt rushed.

>_<

I agree about Throne of Bhaal being rushed.

Tales of the Sword Coast was perfect. It was not rushed and it was completed. They were working on it before Baldur's Gate was even released.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Durlag's Tower - to me - was the best dungeon in any RPG I've ever played. The traps may have been tiresome, but that was a bearable burden in exchange for the story, fights and rewards the dungeon had to offer.

ToB felt over-the-top, with everyone and their mother carrying +5 weapons, and very little roleplaying. The modded Ascension battle might arguably be the best fight in the BG series though.

The only true roleplaying instances I can remember from ToB are the lich with his ioun stone, and choosing what to do with Demigorgon. Ascension offered more outcomes to the final stages of the game.

I might have forgotten some, but the bottom line is that I felt like ToB was just a railroad you were forced to follow, without being able to have a real impact on it or to stray away from it.

ToB was a railroad w.r.t. linearity, but there were plenty of role-playing options (insofar as a crpg can have "role-playing" options to begin with). those options, however, did not alter the primary path in any meaningful way. most were relegated to side quests.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I agree about Throne of Bhaal feeling rushed. That really should have been a full fledged sequel. I regret that I didn't know about the Ascension add on when I played it because that from what I heard would have made the game much better