Why no Nintendo Wii Development?

tony2259

I noticed that on your job hiring page, that you are not hiring for the Wii. I am looking for a Nintendo Wii, and can't find one for retail anywhere. Although I can find Playstation 3's for Retail price almost anywhere, and their are a lot less of them going around than Wii's.

I have thousands of dollars extra besides my savings and I will never buy a playstation 3 or Xbox 360. Everything I like is mostly availible for the PC and Nintendo anyway. I have the PC for the best looking games out their, and am getting the Nintendo Wii for Unique fun.

Obsidian is just hurting itself by not being a developer for the Wii. But it doesn't matter too much for PC game players I guess.

What a strange bot.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"Obsidian is just hurting itself by not being a developer for the Wii."

Nah. Not really. Many successful developers don't develop for Nintendo. In fact, Nintendo has a habit of treating 3rd party developers/publishers like trash so good on Obsidian for avoiding the Big Pee Pee.

Unlike you, I will NEVER buy a Wii unless I stumble into millions of dollars that i can waste on crap products like the Wii.

PS3, XBOX360, AND PC 4EVAR!

DOWN WITH NINTENDO.... unless you are a kiddie!!!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

heh, Im not a bot Pidesco, I'm just pasionate about games, including RPG's. Ever since playing Square's boring Final Fantasy X, I haven't felt passionate about Playstation, although the Suikoden games are ok. Why would I buy a Xbox, when I get the same type of enjoyment from the PC. I don't have trouble with many game stoping bugs, like many others do in some games.

I just think it would be awsome to swing around a sword on the Wii like real life. Or use a jedi's powers with the flick of a wrist. Although their could be different setting's for the easiness of the movement of the Wii-motes, so people could still have a good time while getting used to the new nintendo controllers.

Acually Volourn, Nintendo realized that it was treating non-Nintendo developers like trash, and turned around to offer the same quality support as Sony and Microsft, almost a year ago. Everything from "Fallout Style" Jagged-Alliance 2, all the way to the cult game "Sim City" are in Development for the Nintendo DS.

Edited by tony2259

"Acually Volourn, Nintendo realized that it was treating non-Nintendo developers like trash, and turned around to offer the same quality support as Sony and Microsft, almost a year ago."

If so, that's really good news. :dancing:

"I just think it would be awsome to swing around a sword on the Wii like real life."

I'm no Wii fan; but yeah; that would be fun. But, would it be a role-playing game? It might work an Action RPG though... maybe...

Edited by Volourn

I like my TV in the condition that it is in. Not broken.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Too bad that Nintendo didn't have a common sense to actually hire skilled craftsman to build their Wiimote. Wires snapping = the fault of the crafter. Period.

Nintendo finally got over itself as being # 1 from the late 80's and first half of 90's. They realized they would always be 3rd place if they didn't change their 2,nt and 3,rd party development support.

Just to let you know, I hope Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft all have a 33% market share this time. Then we would have the same kind of quality compitition as we do from Intel and AMD, or Nvidia and ATI. And yes I know that AMD bought ATI.

P.S. Nintendo did acually recall all Wii-motes free of charge for the cosumer, and all current Wii controllers have the wire 2 times as thick.

Edited by tony2259

Too bad that Nintendo didn't have a common sense to actually hire skilled craftsman to build their Wiimote. Wires snapping = the fault of the crafter. Period.

Eh what?

They should have build them by hand?

:dancing:

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I like my TV in the condition that it is in.  Not broken.

Oh come on Hades, even you have enough common sense to not brake your TV with the controller... probably.

I have enough common sense not buy a Wii.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I'd get a wii - if I'd get a console at all :) Zelda alone would be worth it... And by 'worth', I don't mean 600$ or something of money spent for hightech only really cool for those who spend another 2000$ in a suitable HD-TV.

As for the controller not being rpg-friendly: You could still use the classic-controller or just play a game without motion-sensing. I mean, just that the controller supports it doesn't mean developers have to support the feature in their games.

Hm, hopefully this doesn't start a console-flame-war, because imho, the only true RUL0R is the PC :aiee:

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'd get a wii - if I'd get a console at all :mellow: Zelda alone would be worth it... And by 'worth', I don't mean 600$ or something of money spent for hightech only really cool for those who spend another 2000$ in a suitable HD-TV.

The Wii is not an HD system. Highest it supports is 720p. The PS3 / 360 support 1080p.

Truthfully, you can only really call a Wii "next-gen" because of its controller.

But to answer the question of the thread, I'd say it's because

A. Obsidian has not been approached about it.

B. Development with the Wiimote in mind will cause other ports to suffer. (Assuming here that Obs would do third-party work instead of second-party) Or conversely, development with other consoles in mind will cause the Wii port to underplay the strengths of the system.

C. Nintendo consoles are first-party consoles. You get a Nintendo for Zelda, Metroid or Mario. Nintendo has traditionally not handled third-party developers well, for whatever reason.

D. Nintendo doesn't take games or gaming as seriously as Obsidian does. Which is to say, Nintendo isn't for the hardc0re. Nintendo would never entertain (or adequately support) a game like KOTOR2, or an Alien RPG, exclusively for its console. They're looking for the next Nintendogs or Super Smash Bros., not the next KOTOR, or even the next Final Fantasy.

Edited by Pop

I'd get a wii - if I'd get a console at all ;) Zelda alone would be worth it... And by 'worth', I don't mean 600$ or something of money spent for hightech only really cool for those who spend another 2000$ in a suitable HD-TV.

The Wii is not an HD system. Highest it supports is 720p. The PS3 / 360 support 1080p.

Truthfully, you can only really call a Wii "next-gen" because of its controller.

But to answer the question of the thread, I'd say it's because

A. Obsidian has not been approached about it.

B. Development with the Wiimote in mind will cause other ports to suffer. (Assuming here that Obs would do third-party work instead of second-party) Or conversely, development with other consoles in mind will cause the Wii port to underplay the strengths of the system.

C. Nintendo consoles are first-party consoles. You get a Nintendo for Zelda, Metroid or Mario. Nintendo has traditionally not handled third-party developers well, for whatever reason.

D. Nintendo doesn't take games or gaming as seriously as Obsidian does. Which is to say, Nintendo isn't for the hardc0re. Nintendo would never entertain (or adequately support) a game like KOTOR2, or an Alien RPG, exclusively for its console. They're looking for the next Nintendogs or Super Smash Bros., not the next KOTOR, or even the next Final Fantasy.

For the sake of disclosure, I am a huge fan of things Nintendo, but I know plenty of folks around Obsidian love the Wii. Most of us don't share in the "Nintendo is for babies" thing. As a guy lower in the food chain, I can't give reasons for doing or not doing any project, but it isn't because we don't like the Wii.

Also, the claim that Nintendo is a first party console isn't fair to the Rayman's, The RE4's and the Metal Gears that have graced just one Nintendo console, with the two latter version being far superior to any other incarnation on another console.

And Volourn really needs to get off the strap thing. And his period obsession.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

So would Obsidian develop an RPG for the Wii?

And note that there's nothing in my post to indicate that Obs doesn't love the Wii, but rather, that Nintendo is not the most fertile ground for the kind of RPG that Obsidian has made and continues to make. Either Obsidian would have to make a JRPG or Nintendo would have to change its standards.

Edited by Pop

So would Obsidian develop an RPG for the Wii?

And note that there's nothing in my post to indicate that Obs doesn't love the Wii, but rather, that Nintendo is not the most fertile ground for the kind of RPG that Obsidian has made and continues to make. Either Obsidian would have to make a JRPG or Nintendo would have to change its standards.

I cannot answer that, as I'm not an owner, a lead, or in any position that would have any influence on the type of projects the company would take on. I can say that were Obsidian to do a game on the Wii, plenty of us would be jumping up and down yelling "pick me, pick me" to get on the team.

Nintendo has tried to remove it

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I actually think the best reason not to make WII games is the same from previous years. the market already saturaded enough with games being made for PS or Xbox. We seriously dont need even greater market stauration with WII entering the GOOD RPG race.

I will never own a WII and frankly if any company ever makes a WII only rpg that I really wanted to play Id stop buying their products because of the insult. Im disabled and cant use the WI controllers so to be left out of a genre I love because I cant flap my arms around like a bird would be the ultimate insult from a gaming company.

Stick with PS3 and XBox 360 and leave the WII for kiddies with to much energy and adults on to much sugar rushs

What insult? Offering to people a product that you, personally, won't want to buy because of your impairment? That's a ridiculous and bombastic assertion. A player doesnt need to perform gross arm movements to play most (if any) of the games. If you can operate a television remote control you can probably operate a Wii remote.

For market saturation, it isn't a cut and dry issue. As you've demonstrated the platforms intrinsically have different markets--console warriors, those too poor or frugal to diversify, et cetera, and then when there is overlap titles tend to compete in quality brackets. Subgenres further divide the markets, people who want to buy a MMORPG to play might want EVE Online and not be interested in World of WarCraft, in turn those interested in World of WarCraft might not be interested in City of Villains. So to say the market will be saturated is myopic.

Edited by Fionavar

Thread Tidied - let's try to be gecklings who discuss geeky things in a way that does not resort to name calling ...

/rhetorical expectation

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I actually think the best reason not to make WII games is the same from previous years. the market already saturaded enough with games being made for PS or Xbox. We seriously dont need even greater market stauration with WII entering the GOOD RPG race.

I will never own a WII and frankly if any company ever makes a WII only rpg that I really wanted to play Id stop buying their products because of the insult. Im disabled and cant use the WI controllers so to be left out of a genre I love because I cant flap my arms around like a bird would be the ultimate insult from a gaming company.

Stick with PS3 and XBox 360 and leave the WII for kiddies with to much energy and adults on to much sugar rushs

While I respect your frustration with being unable to play the Wii, the Wii is the first console that folks with other disabilities can play. Some folks who aren't capable of wrapping their hands around most controllers can do the larger motions used by Wii games. I'm not trying to discredit your position, but I think it's unfair to Nintendo and developers to say that they are insulting you. They are just trying to make fun games in a new way.