Time to purchase Xbox 360?

mkreku

Apparently the Xbox 360 is getting a hardware upgrade!

"According to Engadget, the Xbox 360 v2 (codenamed Zephyr) should go a long way in making the console cooler by swapping out the 90nm IBM Xenon PowerPC processor in favor of a 65nm revision that has not been announced yet.

There is also a single HDMI port for full 1080p support -- no firmware trickery needed. Also on the way is a 120GB hard drive which would double the capacity of Sony's top-ranging PS3."

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5591

The HDMI port will be a huge seller in Sweden. They're selling 1080p TV's like hotcakes here.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My friend just bought an XBox 360 (for the kids! :lol:) and was exstatic to play some of the old arcade games, like Scramble, which is a "newly enhanced version of the arcade classic."

Where does this leave existing 360 owners?

'Round the S-bend?

As for backwards compatibility, I imagine there will need to be a toggle that turns off advanced features for the earlier hardware ... whether this means some games will not work on the earlier hardware release, or games will not be able to take full advantage if the newer hardware is difficult to predict ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So much for standardized hardware.

I know developers were already disappointed with the fact that some had hard drives and some didn't.

I'm not thrilled about this new trend either. At the same time, the changes announced aren't all that significant. 90 -> 65 would imply lesser heat issues but shouldn't have any impact on gameplay, and a larger HDD shouldn't affect most games. The 1080/HDMI thing is probably a lot more significant for some people. Personally, I'm happy with 720p since most large-screen 1080p display devices are beyond my reach anyway. <_<

I hope this results in v1 prices falling dramatically. :joy:

I would consider buying the new X Box 360 if the new harddrive is built in and it has the HD DVD drive built in for $300.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There will be some games released that I might like and also there is the ability to play HD DVDs. I doubt an internal HD DVD 120 gig hard drive version of the X Box 360 will be anywhere near $300 though.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I think people would rather buy a PS3.

If you are spending $600 for a 120 gig hard drive, then no. No you can't. :blink:

Edited by Sand

And only idiots are actually buying it. Yeah, that is a tad judgmental but it feels so right. :blink:

Edited by Sand