Battlestar Movie and MMORPG in the Works?

metadigital

If you're to believe geekmonthly and their unattributed sources, along with a misleading article title, then the answer is yes.
Despite declining ratings for Battlestar Galactica on SciFi Channel, nearly universal critical acclaim along with robust DVD sales have led Universal Home Video to consider greenlighting a Battlestar Galactica direct-to-video telefilm, which will presumably air on The SciFi Channel, after debuting on home video, sources tell Geek.

Sounds interesting, except for the next sentence which reads "If it goes forward, the two hour telefilm will shoot in March during the series hiatus and prior to the commencement of production on the series fourth season in June." Well that's not exactly true to the title, "Galactica Direct-To-Video Movie Set To Launch." It looks like nothing more than a fluffy title meant to prop up a speculative piece with nothing to back it up. It also ignores the fact that there's no guarantee that BSG will even get a fourth season. We've heard rumors like this about the Stargate franchise for years and nothing has ever come of it. Take it with a grain of salt, because that's all this rumor is worth.

Speaking of BSG rumors, this comes from 1up.com on a possible Battlestar MMORPG, because you know, the world needs another MMORPG.

A listing recently appeared on EBGames.com for a Xbox 360 MMO version of TV's Battlestar Galactica from Vivendi. As the product listing was removed from the system (it was up earlier today, scout's honor), this left us wondering what's up with the proposed TV-to-MMO adaption of the highly regarded sci-fi drama.

Vivendi owns NBC and the SciFi channel, which gives them rights to Battlestar. What do you think, more fluff?

Did someone say BSGMMORPG?

Bitchwhat clickie

geekmonthly clickie

1up.com clickie

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Declining ratings? Wow, that's a surprise. This show is easily one of the best Dramas going on TV right now and the best Sci-Fi series I've seen in awhile. I thought for sure with NBC promoting the show on their major network that ratings would only get better. Hopefully the show continues after this season, it would be a damn shame if it didn't. It still has to be Sci-Fi Channel's #1 program.....right?

The main problem lies in how BSG would be adapted. While other worlds have millions of users, BSG's universe (at present) currently only has 41,422 members of the human race left. Plus, stuck on a handful of ships, there's not exactly many places for you to go.

Yes, BSG could be adapted into an MMO, but we'll have to see if it's actually in Vivendi's plans before we start critiquing things too much -- so far, they've only told 1UP they're supposedly "looking into" the EBGames listing (in other words, stalling but refusing a flat-out no comment), but look for an official announcement soon. We'd expect the announce to time with either the beginning of the Winter season of BSG or in the immediate wake of this season's finale.

Maybe they're planning for a TMORPG (Tiny Multiplayer Online RPG)? :)"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

^ now that is interesting! :)

anyway..

A BSG M(or T)MORPG would without a doubt suck donkey butt.. a Space Sim however could work.. along the lines of FreeSpace or Starlancer..

Fortune favors the bald.

So now we have Stargate Worlds MMORPG and Battlestar Galactica MMORPG. I appreciate that the form is very popular at the moment, but haven't they heard of putting all your eggs in one basket? Next they'll be announcing a Doctor Who MMORPG. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Great, another MMORPG to ignore. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

A BSG M(or T)MORPG would without a doubt suck donkey butt.. a Space Sim however could work.. along the lines of FreeSpace or Starlancer..

A BSG total conversion for Freespace (I think it was) is in the works by fans. And has gotten pretty far as well. They had some videos on their website and it looks pretty good even if there is a lot still to be done.

(and it will be a total standalone and free download, no need to own Freespace apparently)

http://www.game-warden.com/bsg/main.html is the link.

The main problem lies in how BSG would be adapted. While other worlds have millions of users, BSG's universe (at present) currently only has 41,422 members of the human race left. Plus, stuck on a handful of ships, there's not exactly many places for you to go.

Yes, BSG could be adapted into an MMO, but we'll have to see if it's actually in Vivendi's plans before we start critiquing things too much -- so far, they've only told 1UP they're supposedly "looking into" the EBGames listing (in other words, stalling but refusing a flat-out no comment), but look for an official announcement soon. We'd expect the announce to time with either the beginning of the Winter season of BSG or in the immediate wake of this season's finale.

Maybe they're planning for a TMORPG (Tiny Multiplayer Online RPG)? :ermm:"

The highlighted part might be valid if any of the current MMOs had millions of users on the same realm. However, they split them up. The current top MMO splits it's -7 million total subscriber base over 180 realms. That's only about 39,000 per realm, below the 41,422 number cited. That's also assuming that they all are logged on at the same time.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You're going to ignore Doctor Who: The MMORPG? :ermm:

Like BSG, Doctor Who would be a fairly bad setting for a MMORPG, let alone a standard CRPG.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Oh and a heads up to all the guys out there......and errr Lesbians, Tricia Helfer(Caprica, Number 6) is going to be in next month's issue of Playboy.  :ermm: :joy: :-

So I take it she can't act. Well good for her, I guess, don't want to become another Jeri Ryan.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I can't imagine a Doctor Who RPG of any form. I'm trying very hard.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I can't imagine a Doctor Who RPG of any form.  I'm trying very hard.

Torchwood, maybe. Doctor Who might work as an adventure game, either traditional or with new Fahrenheit-style elements. They could do a Sam & Max with it and release episodes for download.

Can you imagine giving the Doctor stats? That's the stuff of flamewars.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Oh and a heads up to all the guys out there......and errr Lesbians, Tricia Helfer(Caprica, Number 6) is going to be in next month's issue of Playboy.  :thumbsup: :joy: :shifty:

So I take it she can't act. Well good for her, I guess, don't want to become another Jeri Ryan.

When I watch the show she acts just fine to me, of course I don't pay attention to anything she's saying. :D

BSG MMO, no thanks.

As to the direct-to-dvd movie, well, I have Season 1 of the TV show Columbo on DVD. Those episodes were all 2-hour movies (counting commercial breaks).

If BSG is going to be moving to a time slot that is, shall we say, not exactly prime real estate, I say start making the episodes 2-hours long anyway.

(This could also be a test balloon to see if the viewers will plunk down cash for the movie....if they do, then that would help justify a continuation of the series "off air" as it were).

BSG MMO, no thanks.

As to the direct-to-dvd movie, well, I have Season 1 of the TV show Columbo on DVD.  Those episodes were all 2-hour movies (counting commercial breaks).

If BSG is going to be moving to a time slot that is, shall we say, not exactly prime real estate, I say start making the episodes 2-hours long anyway.

(This could also be a test balloon to see if the viewers will plunk down cash for the movie....if they do, then that would help justify a continuation of the series "off air" as it were).

They were moving it from Fridays, when no one is home watching tv, to sunday, where everyone is, though at a later timeslot. Hopefully it will get a ratings boost.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

First, the failing ratings use the Nielsen system which is apparently not very representative of the viewing public anymore.

Selected households, not millions of them obviously, fill surveys and the results are used to speculate on the true number of viewers, to sell airtime to advertisers.

I still think there could be a way to accurately know how many tune in to each tv show every week, especially with today's broadcasting methods with the black boxes, digital TVs, etc.

Meh.

Second, a MMORPG is a bad idea imo. A Freelancer type game with the added ability for the player to interact with crew members on the Galactica would be much better, it would give the opportunity to include some nice RPG or adventure game elements.

I would also be for a 3X game like MOO or GalCiv, as long as there is interaction between characters/Heroes and a good story that stays very close to the TV show(or parallel to it).

The show is about character development and human interactions, not space battles and I hope whoever ends up with the dev contract remembers that.

Edited by astr0creep

The show is about character development and human interactions, not space battles and I hope whoever ends up with the dev contract remembers that.

Agreed, it's a pretty ridiculous idea. The BSG universe itself doesn't really lend itself to a MMO. I can think of much better candidates for a space MMO, but I guess BSG is the only hot property right now.

Agreed, it's a pretty ridiculous idea. The BSG universe itself doesn't really lend itself to a MMO. I can think of much better candidates for a space MMO, but I guess BSG is the only hot property right now.

I can't wait for a Desperate Housewives MMO (w00t)

<_<

I can't wait for a Desperate Housewives MMO (w00t)

<_<

Sadly, there is a Desperate Housewives video game either in development or already out. I think it's supposed to play like The Sims.