Black Mesa: Source

metadigital

What place in the game had unlimited respawns?  I guess there were the few places where guys were being dropped in from Ospreys.

I was thinking of HL2, which is more current in my mind, but yes in HL1 the Osprey maps were the only unlimited respawns I recall, but that was okay because you were supposed to run like hell for the exit, not secure the area. (Didn't stop me from cheating in extra ammo and blowing the Ospreys out of the sky, though. Boy do they take a beating.)

Edited by Wistrik

Half-Life > System Shock 2... in case anyone wants to know.

That's just loopy.

HL was ultimately another health and armor pickup run and gun shooter. Not much else behidn it.

SS2 was a far more varied and interesting game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Only reason why they added "roleplaying elements" in SS was because they knew their combat sucked. To hide bad combat etc. they added skills and other "rpg stuff". If they would've been better FPS makers there wouldn't be rpg elements

HL > SS2

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

System Shock 2 isn't about the shooting. It never was and it wasn't planned as such. They didn't "add" roleplaying elements to hide bad combat.

And besides, HL's combat, apart from the bits against human soldiers, wasn't exactly stellar.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The atmosphere in HL is all about the way they integrated the storytelling with the gameplay instead of telling it through cutscenes and the like. That was, in my opinion, the best thing about Half-Life, and what really made the game successful along with the AI.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Man, all of your opinions...they sure suck.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Maybe I should have phrased it a little differently...

Man, all the opinions of you lot, they sure do suck.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

loopy. The lot of you.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

• 3 weeks later...

Graphically impressive.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I just watched it and it is [expletive deleted] excellent.

It gave me pause for thought, though; do the developers populate the game with current technology, or (like a period piece) do they use the technology of the time the game was first made? E.g. the computer that Gordon interacts with: should it have a bulky CRT monitor (like in the original), or a nifty flatscreen (as is available and commonplace now)? This is complicated by the fact that the game is set in the-not-to-distant-future. :D

Graphically impressive.

I was about to compose a witty retort when I remembered that you haven't played any of the Half-Lifes yet.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think I am going to rectify that next month. :huh:

Also it wasn't meant to be a snide remark. It was very impressive.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, actually, we can't tell what improvements they have made (if any) to the already good AI, for example, so it wasn't necessarily a snide remark in that respect, either. :huh:

I did notice that the dam seems to be a LOT bigger than in the first one: the broken down ute in the middle of it is tiny compared to my recollection of the first game.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT