Black Mesa: Source

metadigital

Ghosts?  It's been a while since I played it, but where were the ghosts?

Anna in the Den (you give her back her amulet and then bury her bones) and also the random encounter in which you can get Ghost Dogmeat onto your team.

But Fallout 2 was in many ways more ludicrous than Fallout. Fallout had the Master and super-mutants and ghouls, but Fallout 2 had Anna and... The Brain.

Half-Life is the best FPS ever. For the first half of the game, then you hit Xen. I actually yawned my way through Xen just to see the ending (which was cool) but damn, those last levels SUCK. People always seem to forget about that fact when they say Half-Life was the best FPS ever.

My favourite FPS ever is Far Cry.. which is weird since it suffers from the exact same problem as Half-Life. It's extremely good up until you meet the super monkeys.

Edit: Dyslectic today.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I remember Xen and its mediocrity, but I would still pick it as the best FPS ever. The reason why I stuck through Xen was because the first 2/3rds of the game had me so hooked that it could have been **** on a plate and I'd have still eaten it up like mad.

The only FPS that really gave Half-Life a run for its money for me, was Deus Ex. And that's probably because Deus Ex was a genre busting game, that I don't really consider to be a "pure" FPS, more like a conglomeration of ass kicking awesomeness.

Whenever I make my list of best games, both games frequently occupy the top two spots. I typically put Half-Life ahead of it, since it was first and was pretty much the game that brought me back to PC gaming. The only other "pure" FPS that typically makes the list is Half-Life 2. The other FPS game that would be a fixture would probably be System Shock 2.

Naturally just my opinion.

I would definitely not put HL2 on my FPS list. What would go in would be NOLF 1 and 2, AvP 1 and 2, and TRON 2.0.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Half-Life is the best FPS ever. For the first half of the game, then you hit Xen. I actually yawned my way through Xen just to see the ending (which was cool) but damn, those last levels SUCK. People always seem to forget about that fact when they say Half-Life was the best FPS ever.

Let's hope it is fixed in the remake then. Another good reason to do it. :)

I don't think there really is a distinction between best game and favourite game, when it comes to one's own opinion.

I'd find it odd if the game you felt was absolute best was not at least one of your favourites.

Having said that, I suppose it is possible to look at somethings objectively. I can recognize that Starcraft is an excellent game, even though I was no longer playing RTS games when it came out. So what do I know?

I would definitely not put HL2 on my FPS list. What would go in would be NOLF 1 and 2, AvP 1 and 2, and TRON 2.0.

I believe you and I may be the only ones who like Tron 2.0.

And I couldn't even play it through a second time because the level design is sometimes horrible. I got stuck running around in circles looking for the path.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I believe you and I may be the only ones who like Tron 2.0.

And I couldn't even play it through a second time because the level design is sometimes horrible. I got stuck running around in circles looking for the path.

TRON 2.0 is great. Definitely it's in my all time favorite games list. Much better than F.E.A.R and Condemned crap.

centinexx.png

I don't see any reason to get excited about remaking  an old fps with better graphics.  I mean, all fps games are for the most part are graphical enhancements of the same gameplay that's been around for years.

If we now have FEAR, why do we care about a remake of HL?

edit: I could understand remaking Deus Ex with much superior graphics since DX was one of those fairly rare games that is never really duplicated.  But HL?  Weird.

This is a mod. You don't have to play it, if you don't want to. It'll probably be free.

FEAR

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I don't regret having bought the Half-Life 2 Collector's Edition, but after seeing this, Half-Life: Source definitely looks more subpar than what it is. Worst part is I even wouldn't mind paying some more to get a reworked version of Half-Life with this kind of quality.

Edited by Role-Player

This mod looks promising. The team is putting a lot of effort into the details, and that seems rare these days. This mod may have what it takes to get me to re-experience the events at Black Mesa once again.

I tried Valve's Half-Life: Source and found the scripted scenes and events were not working as well as in the original game, and movement felt a little 'off'. Nothing game breaking, but still quite noticeable in places. I played through it once to see how it looked and haven't played it since.

I'm a little worried by them adding some new elemst to the storyline - but at the same time they've promised not to alter the original script.. so if, what they added, sucks at least they won't have replaced anything..

Fortune favors the bald.

Hopefully they won't add any of the odd "Race-X" monsters from Opposing Force. Though I enjoyed playing as Adrian Shepard, I felt those monsters were out of place and didn't belong there, no matter how much OF's story tried to justify them (bio/xeno experiments or some such, supposedly.)

New story-related elements would be fun to experience so long as they aren't used as an excuse to introduce some wacky new monster nobody's ever seen or heard of before.

On the subject of the posted renders, I wonder if those 'fingers' in the test lab will extend or move during the test phase. They look robotic.

The important thing to take away from this is that they are spending time to update the graphics; they aren't using the Half-Life 2 zombies (or zombine!), they are re-creating from scratch their own renders; including new scientists (and VO).

The "additional" stuff sounds very minor:

Planet Half-Life: So you are planning to add more enemies in previously-established Black Mesa areas rather than creating whole new areas?

Rose: Yes and no. Entirely new areas or sequences won't be ruled out, although they also won't be everywhere. New sequences are saved for areas which are in crucial need of a redesign, as they either did not work in Half-Life 1 or weren't very fun to play. New enemies will also be added. A good example of new enemy placement is the dam sequence. Instead of having a gigantic artillery turret and a few grunts, the area is redesigned to accomodate [sic] strategic placement of grunts. To help make the situation as realistic as possible, we contracted a community member who serves with the Marines to show us how a real combat operation might go. I won't spoil any more details, but let's just say it involves a bunch of grunts.

That's a pretty encouraging level of commitment and detail. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This mod looks promising. The team is putting a lot of effort into the details, and that seems rare these days. This mod may have what it takes to get me to re-experience the events at Black Mesa once again.

I tried Valve's Half-Life: Source and found the scripted scenes and events were not working as well as in the original game, and movement felt a little 'off'. Nothing game breaking, but still quite noticeable in places. I played through it once to see how it looked and haven't played it since.

I agree. The biggest gaffe was that the music, which in the original game was played off the CD, is interrupted by a loading screen. This was very, very bad, as it really took away from We've Got Hostiles. In that level, there's a part where you get into an elevator and starting going up, and hit a loading screen. In the original game, a music piece starts playing just before, and you hear it start up as the loading screen comes up.

That whole scene completely sold the game for me (especially seeing as I knew nothing about the story of the game) and the music was a huge part of it. Playing through it again, without the music, was disappointing to say the least.

I agree (er, with Metadigital's final comment). Also, if they feature something like enemy air support, I want the option of being able to shoot it down, hopefully without requiring a truckload of rockets.

Hopefully they'll add a little support for us stealthy players. I tried, as much as possible, to disable enemies from afar in both Half-Life games, but so much of it is up close and personal (or unlimited respawns, ARGH!) that I didn't get to snipe as much as I would have liked (or I gave up). Indeed, some scripted stuff can be broken by sniping. Half-Life 2 crashes to the desktop every time I rocket-snipe the parked helicopter at Black Mesa East (before the alarm sounds and it lifts off to attack). Why? Because the player wasn't supposed to have that option. Indeed, I had to cheat in the extra rockets to do it, but that's part of how I test the limits of what I can or can't do in a game.

Edited by Wistrik