Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Stories

Blank

Pixies' latest, original Choose-Your-Own-Adventure thread got me thinking, were you guys ever fans of the books and stuff when you were younger? I remember reading one that was lying around when I was a kid. It was about a group of students who went on a field trip to a maritime research center, when a tsunami suddenly strikes. If I remember correctly, I enjoyed it.

Edited by Blank

I played a lot of the Fighting Fantasy series, and I still have the odd nightmare that references one of the horrible ways you could die in these books. Great stuff! The Sorcery! series was great (as I'm a sucker for epic stories) as it was four books that you carried the same character through each book.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I remember them because when I were a young 'un we didn't have PCs! They were good, although I confess I used to ignore the dice thing because I was just very very bad at maths. I used to imagine the fight in my head. Although I think the fact that I used to lose quite often is illuminating.

I'm also moving this to the roleplaying section, if you'll just grab hold of something for a minute...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I still remember the authors as being Steve Jackson and Ian Livingston.

My two favourites were Demons of the Deep (easily my favourite) and Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

I remember an awesome puzzle where some guy says to you "What is the password." And I was stumped. It turns out that he was making a statement, not a question. What IS the password. So if you said what, you carried on.

Wals, this is the funniest thing I've seen all day. Thanks to you and Blank for making it possible.

Edited by thepixiesrock

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Wals, this is the funniest thing I've seen all day.  Thanks to you and Blank for making it possible.

*Cue Joe Pesci style rant about being funny*

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Sorcery! series was great (as I'm a sucker for epic stories) as it was four books that you carried the same character through each book.

What? Limited choices! What if you wanted to kill the character in the first book (in some brave, martyr-like fashion, of course)?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I remember the few awful RL Stein choose-your-own-adventure Goosebumps. Remember Goosebumps? Remember RL Stein? He was the JK Rowling of the 90's! Somebody had the bright idea of making him the narrator of the (also awful) Goosebumps TV series, but if you've ever seen or heard the guy, he's a Ben Stein-esque melancholic. Not fun.

That's the extent of my experience with the choose-your-own-adventure genre.

Only if the pen is very large and sharp, and the sword is very small and blunt.

-Elwood Blues

I still have four or five of those books lying around. I kept badgering my mom to buy me more books, but she usually ignored me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I remember reading them all the time in elementary school. I can remember three that I liked.

One was "You are a Ninja!" I remember that one ending had you kidnapped by ninjas and brainwashed into becoming a ticking time-bomb of ninja awesomeness! The second one was were you were some sort of crab alien thing that could stop time. One of the choices was to use your power to rob a bank. The third book was about this video game that you go that learned new strategies even when it was turned off. Every bad ending had you lose the game and then be unable to get farther than the first level again cause it had already learned enough to beat you to a bloody pulp.

I own Talisman of Death and The Forest of Doom too. >_

I also have The Rings of Kether and Robot Commando. Do you want them?

Heja Sverige!!

I also have The Rings of Kether and Robot Commando. Do you want them?

...Dude. How much of my soul do you want? A tiny morsel or the whole bioluminiscent orb? Seriously, if you're interested in selling them I'd be happy to pry them from your cold... Erh, I meant buy them! Yes, that's it >_<)

Hey, I have one of those somewhere.

Picked it up for a quarter at a used bookstore a few months back.

Never got around to reading it though.

Something to do with a snow witch or something... I think.

I can give them to you if you want. For free.

Of course, if you actually feel obliged to pay me something in exchange for the books, go right ahead.

Heja Sverige!!