Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

Big Bottom

I've been fiddling around with DC for the past few days, playing games and watching replays and it's been most enjoyable considering I didn't take to the original DoW all that well. Sure I played it for a couple of months but never had much desire to play online and didn't even finish the SP campaign due to boredom. But DC has added so much to the game I can see myself getting back into online RTSing which is something I haven't done since the days of Warcraft III. 2 new races and a new (and very useful in most cases) unit for the existing ones and a bunch of other stuff including a Risk-style campaign that you can play as any of the seven races, which is pretty good fun.

Is anyone playing this online? I'm probably not the best player moment but I'd be up for a few games in the new year. If you don't know how to play it's easy...just play as Necrons and mass some skeleton warriors until your floating base 'o doom is ready to send into the fray.

Edited by Big Bottom

No.

Hordes of the Underdark is the best expansion ever.

Game over man, game over!

Indeed. Campaign is far from bad, it added tons of new scripts, tilesets and such for builders which led into awesome mods.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I expected somebody was going to give me Dark Crusade during the holiday - but no-one did.

I hear it is good.

I will have to buy it soon.

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

I am working through a backlog of games. But I'm going to buy DC as soon as necessary.

BTW, my biggest problem with DoW is the difficulty of managing all the manufacturing while I'm fighting.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I am working through a backlog of games. But I'm going to buy DC as soon as necessary.

BTW, my biggest problem with DoW is the difficulty of managing all the manufacturing while I'm fighting.

well... you can overwatch reinforcements. (right click the little plus signs)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The who what, now? I will try that.

I'd like to append a question: how do I play the Imperial Guard and not get pwned?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think the word is that too long is definately no good.

As for the campaign, it depends, when all your bases are belongs to us = win. There are

20 areas in the map and you have to figth your way to each enemy's stronghold and hold onto it.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

How long is this expansion.

Length is everything. :thumbsup:

Pretty much if you play it through once you've got most of the story. The only reason to play it seven times (each different campaign) is to learn the dialogue.

But after playing it on normal, I have to say that by the end of the game, the basic provinces are much harder fights than the Strongholds. Dark Crusades major draw is the fact that it's mulitplayer is HUGE.

A couple of the let downs in the Campaign:

Playing a 1v1 on an eight person map.

If you don't rush on the harder difficulties your screwed.

If they attack your stronghold your screwed.

All the strongholds will be the same no matter who you attack with (so the stronghold fight of Tau hitting the IG stronghold is the same as if marines attacked it.)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You swines aren't helping with my Guard problem.

As an incentive here is a short poem:

Long and thin won't fit right in,

And irritates the ladies.

Short and thick is just the stick

For mass-producing babies.

I hope I don't get fired for that. It was told me by a peer of the realm so is both legal and constitutional in the UK. Or something.

-Elwood Blues

Best expansion: The Conquerors for AoK.

There's a lot of contest though. Like Core Contigency and Brood Wars.

As for the Guard, zerg rush every strategic point and hold them with massed guardsmen and fortifications galore till you can get the flamethrowing vehicles. Burn everything with the napalm function. After that, the tech tree opens pretty rapidly and you change your tactics to the WW2-esque "elite tanks supported by specialized foot soldiers and cannon fodder"-strategy.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It doesn't have Korean armoured turtle ships, so no.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Thanks Mus. I understood none of that, but I feel much better.

-Elwood Blues

:D

The pleasure's all mine.

But really, make as many guardsmen(your basic troop) as you can, give all squads commanders and sit on your upgraded listening points till you get good tanks. Imperial Guards have the best tanks. I think it's really simple.

One good piece of advice early on is that the guardsmen can get grenade launchers. Those launchers don't do very much damage, but their concussion tosses enemy units around and they can't shoot back easily.

Edit: Oh, and to explain why I don't hold Brood War in very high regard when compared to Conquerors: While Brood War does add a relatively lot of things, Starcraft could have easily survived without it. All in all, I think the original game is prety much the perfect RTS game. AoK on the other hand wasn't very good initially, but the expansion perfected the product. It added things that should have been in the vanilla game already and it really plays like a different beast altogether.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: