NWN2 Modding project

Guard Dog

For those interested in playing user made NWN2 mods check out our new project The Forgotten Realms Weave. It is a group of builders (including some big names from NWN1 like Phoenixus, Lord Niah, Lariam, and others) who are making modules with complementary timelines, events and lore to create entire campaigns of consistent gameplay. Check out our fourms below. Feedback and ideas are welcome as well as any builders who want to join in. The only requirement is at all mods must occur in the Forgotten Realms and stay true to it's theme and accept the events in other builders mods. Projects will be posted on the NWN Vault when completed and a few are in beta testing already.

Forgotten Realms Weave

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sounds kickass! :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Sounds good.

I can easily remember Lariam but what modules others have made? I might've played them, I just can't remember author

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Is there freely available official D&D material on the internet for these kinds of places? They seem like interesting choices for module making but I know nothing about these settings.

I think a lot of the pre-3E Forgotten Realms materials (FR Adventures hardcover, the various Volo's guides, etc.) are all available on the WotC website for free download.

Sounds good.

I can easily remember Lariam but what modules others have made? I might've played them, can't just remember author

Phoenixus made the enduring favorite A Tragedy in Tragidor, Niah made The Sunken Cemetary among others. Sethai made the excellent Neverwinter Snowflake series. I made Tallanvors Pride and I was the builder and scripter for the Red Tower PW. There are others who have been hanging around including HOF builderr Abaddon and Styraxian. Look for some good stuff coming from us as soon as these mods near completion.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Is there freely available official D&D material on the internet for these kinds of places? They seem like interesting choices for module making but I know nothing about these settings.

I think a lot of the pre-3E Forgotten Realms materials (FR Adventures hardcover, the various Volo's guides, etc.) are all available on the WotC website for free download.

WotC has a lot for free. Also check the link below. They have ALL of the old books for a couple bucks per download. Some are as little as $0.99 US. Most are between $2-$4 US. But check WOTC first.

rpgnow.com

Thomas Sowell

Thanks Josh, I'll be sure to look into it :aiee:

Do you guys have a project management template for a module?

No but we do have a Wiki going to keep track of who is doing what. Niah is also working on a base module for team use with common scripts for custom items, death, respawining, etc. But it is up to the builder to use it or not. I am using it. The builders are doing their own project, we are just working together to make some of the projects tie together. For example my mod is The Company of the Wolf. It is for new level 1 characters and will take you to level 5-6 depending on how you play it. Phoenixus mod begins at level 6. To keep it flowing my mod will include some events that lead up to his.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Do you guys have a project management template for a module?

No but we do have a Wiki going to keep track of who is doing what. Niah is also working on a base module for team use with common scripts for custom items, death, respawining, etc. But it is up to the builder to use it or not. I am using it. The builders are doing their own project, we are just working together to make some of the projects tie together. For example my mod is The Company of the Wolf. It is for new level 1 characters and will take you to level 5-6 depending on how you play it. Phoenixus mod begins at level 6. To keep it flowing my mod will include some events that lead up to his.

That's good. :bat:

I was more interested in the hard-won experiences of resource allocation for a project. By that I mean, what the critical path is (what needs to be done first, then next, etc, until the project is finished) and what those parts require (as in people's time and effort).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I was more interested in the hard-won experiences of resource allocation for a project. By that I mean, what the critical path is (what needs to be done first, then next, etc, until the project is finished) and what those parts require (as in people's time and effort).

I got you. Each builder is doing their own project and working alone as far as I know. At least I am. I know Phoenixus and Niah are as well. This project will never be finished because it's only goal is to make sure all the modules the team members build mesh with each other. For instance there are five modules set in the Silver Marches in process now. In mine, I will kill off a minor figure from FR canon. She will be dead in the other four as well so long as they occur later than mine in FR time.

I do have an idea for a collaborative campaign taking a PC from level 1 to 20 with a continous plot thread over a half dozen or so modules. But for the moment we all want to get at least one mod under our belts with the new toolset. Plus hopefully we will get an expansion sometime next year. This game could use some new tiles types and VERY much needs to expand it's monster manual.

Thomas Sowell

Another thing we batted around was keeping a data base of companions and NPC. This might make it easier to reuse NPCs when revisiting a setting. I for one would love to see a mode set say in 1371 in Silverymoon then play a different mod in the same setting a year later in game time with a different charachter but have some of the same NPCs. Especially since they would reflect character devlopment from the first mod and made refrences to those events in conversations.

Thomas Sowell

There are 2nd ed source books, 3rd ed books, 3.5 ed books, novels (if you can call them that) game modules, story articles, and of course the FR games themselves. All of it canon, most of it contradictory. Keeping up with all this crap is like trying to spray paint your name on the side of a moving bus.

Thomas Sowell

I'm going to pretend this is a toolset/custom content thread! I've been working on a personal project in recent free time (mostly spent recovering from wisdom teeth being removed). In addition to learning a lot about mapping, I'm starting to get involved in scripting (which I've actually never done much of) and creating custom icons.

Today I worked on aspects of the epithet system for the campaign I'm building. Epithets are specialized reputations that are built over time across the campaign. Unlike local reputations that may only affect interactions with NPCs within a set of maps, epithets draw reactions from characters all over the campaign -- though they are very spread out.

The system itself is pretty simple. Each epithet has a global variable that is incremented in coversation (and occasionally outside of conversation). When the character has increased that particular variable enough, they will be "awarded" with the epithet, which takes the form of a feat. The feat has no statistical bonus, but is occasionally checked in NPC conversations.

Anyway, I made a bunch of icons for the feats today and I am pretty happy with how they turned out.

tbh_feats.png