Arduin-Grimoire an Interesting License?

I didn't like the werewolf.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I didn't like the werewolf.

Me neither. Thankfully he can't find you if you hide in the rocks behind the tree.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. It's all down to CONSPIRACIES! :brows:

Wait. Let me write that one down so I remember it. If people think I am ignorant, claim they are paranoid and delusional. Ok.

Now, metadigital, before you start insulting my family as well as asserting that I am chatting about conspiracies (which I am not), perhaps you should consider that maybe there are costs involved in producing a game, publishing a game, bringing it to market. The fall of a game company might have alot to do with mismanagement and poor market choice. Personally, I think Troika fell because they were on drugs most of the time.

However, just so that no one misses the plain facts in the face of your oh-so biting and sharp retorts, as if anyone would expect such wit from a moderator here, Flying Buffalo is still around, the guys who make Tunnels and Trolls. There's a company that's selling Arduin-Grimoire products and rulebooks (the rights for the game belong to Hargrave's widow). Also, Rolemaster is still being published by ICE.

Not only would Tunnels and Trolls be popular with the 16-bit theater chimp crowd, so would Arduin-Grimoire be fun for power-gamers, and Rolemaster be interesting for those who enjoy bloody detail and intricacy. These licenses might be a bit cheaper to obtain and sustain than others.

Anyone hear aught of conspiracy here? No? That's because you're not a diaperhead.

Do not feel badly if you *do* wear diapers on your head -- the fad's coming in fast and hard. Fallout Online has just been announced, so grab those diapers like they're hotcakes, and fasten them over your ears, boys and girls!

1. You haven't addressed my criticism of your statement (failure of game developers, not successes of minor ones);

2. you are clearly delusional if you think I insulted your family;

3. I was trying to illustrate the ludicrous nature of your statement;

4. you have resorted to agumentum ad hominem instead of arguing facts;

5. as difficult as it is to believe, my position here is strictly voluntary;
    (yes, I know it's hard to believe I voluntarily try to clean up the mess that is left around here by some people);

6. my opinion is my own and nothing to do with Obsidian;

7. If I thought you were serious then I'd give you a warning and moderated posting, as it happens I think you are attempting to make a joke.

Now, once again, this is what you said:

If you knew anything about the gaming market you'd know that RPG companies do not hold or fold based on the quality of their games.  Troika being one obvious exception, of course.

Which, as a general rule, is bunkum. (Unless you think there is some ulterior cause, some hidden agenda ... a conspiracy.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Which, as a general rule, is bunkum. (Unless you think there is some ulterior cause, some hidden agenda ... a conspiracy.)

If I think Troika are a bunch of long-haired fruitcakes with skunkweed in the glove compartment, does that count as a conspiracy theory? Man, you moderators. Anything for a giggle. Donkeys, lingerie, umbrellas and all that!

Hang on -- I know a donkey's waiting for metadigital's Super Illuminati Donkey Punch!

Edited by saintfrancisnudecenterfold

If I think Troika are a bunch of long-haired fruitcakes with skunkweed in the glove compartment, does that count as a conspiracy theory? Man, you moderators. Anything for a giggle. Donkeys, lingerie, umbrellas and all that!

Hang on -- I know a donkey's waiting for my special kiss.

No, that would come under RPG companies holding or folding "based on the quality of their games."

Now, once again, this is what you said:
If you knew anything about the gaming market you'd know that RPG companies do not hold or fold based on the quality of their games.  Troika being one obvious exception, of course.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm gonna let meta have the donkey. Lots of donkeyrides later, meta might understand that I implied that Troika's standards were so poor, they fell to pieces and stop going on about a conspiracy. Last time meta and I argued, meta got kicked off some rinkydink LP-MUD. I feel so badly that I might cry like a little fairy. Really I might do.

Edited by metadigital

Says the guy that referred to him as a diaper head illuminati.

And unfortunately, Troika seems to be a victim of shoddy quality. The ideas behind their games were okay, and I'm a big fan of the Bloodlines universe. But both it and TOEE (and I think even Arcanum) had issues with fatal bugs and Bloodlines had severe performance issues. You have people that are playing Half-Life 2 just fine struggling along with poor performance, in addition to memory leaks. The gamestopping bug I encountered was just the icing on the cake.

It doesn't matter if the quality of the story, characters, and all that are A+++, if the presentation is buggy and unstable.

As for RPG companies not holding or folding based on their games, look at Origin Systems. The company went under a different direction after the EA bought out, made crappy Ultima games, and has since had its doors shut. Ultima IX was the pinnacle, with the game itself being so god awfully bug-ridden that Electronic Arts later sent every person that bothered to register the game an updated CD, with a letter apologizing about the state the game was released in.

It's not the only thing. It never is. Sony's Betamax was superior to VHS, but Sony's refusal to license it curtailed its lifespain. But the quality of products is still pretty important.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Raymond Holmes

The issue with all those games you mention is that nobody knows what they are except for old timer paper gamers like you and me.

There really aren't too many paper games that garner a large enough following to be turned into computer games, with White Wolf, Warhammer and D&D being the exceptions.

Personally, I'd LOVE to be involved in a Runequest or Stormbringer translation to CRPG.

There really aren't too many paper games that garner a large enough following to be turned into computer games, with White Wolf, Warhammer and D&D being the exceptions.

*Hint! Hint!* :-

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's a new dev! :-

Tell us about yourself!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Stormbringer

:unsure:

Question: Is it mandatory to have read Moorc*ck's work in order to be hired at Obsidian? I know MCA has and I think JE has referenced to him as well in the past.

I know an Elric game (RPG I think even) was in the works in the past. By some russians I think. But it got canned. Maybe if the movie becomes a reality, Chaosiums old rules would be of interest again.

Guest Raymond Holmes

"Question: Is it mandatory to have read Moorcοck's work in order to be hired at Obsidian? "

Yes it's the first cutoff question they ask. :("

I haven't read the books in years, but they are among my favorites, I used to have a minature hand forged Stormbringer necklace, but I passed it on to my brother years ago.

I started at Obsidian last September on the "other" project.

tell us more tell us more :( :(

and about other licences it would be nic e to see Fading Suns and Deadlands i crpg gaming. :)

Both of them would be quite interesting for developers\players after becoming computer games I think.