Arduin-Grimoire an Interesting License?

Since it is obvious that most computer role-playing game players like their characters with three or four digit hitpoint totals, prefer counting their levels in the hundreds, wouldn't an ideal RPG license be among Tunnels and Trolls, Arduin-Grimoire, or Rolemaster?

Considering that all three games seem as if they'd have a popular appeal to three seperate and large crowds of computer gamers, wouldn't it seem like a good idea to leap to grab any of these licenses?

Consider: Tunnels and Trolls was the standard comic RPG before even Hackmaster and although the name of maybe one or two spells would require changing for age ratings purposes, it is probably one of THE best and funniest RPG ever made. Fourth edition is soon to make an appearance. Flying Buffalo currently holds the Tunnels and Trolls license, I think. Given the simplicity of Tunnels and Trolls rules, it would be VERY easy to put into computer games turns, with little concern over manuevers and such. Characters strong as elephants who are wizards are not unknown (in fact, to cast some of the higher level spells, it is a saying that your wizard has to be as strong as a darn shoggoth). Tunnels and Trolls was also the very first game that permitted players to take the role of just about any monster or magical being in the game. It's rumoured that a player has played a half-tribble in that game... and there are such creatures as Bandersnatches and Giant Slimes that are also accessible to players for characters, sorta.

Arduin-Grimoire is perhaps the darnedest game that focuses strongly on high level and massive power for characters and monsters, with treasures ranging from swords that can "slice the heads off several devil lords in one stroke" to monster encounters such as six balrogs crowded into a heavily trapped dungeon room that burst out from a secret door. This, plus a very immense game world. Interestingly enough, Arduin-Grimoire can be played as a fusion of Science Fiction and Medieval Fantasy, as a plethora of magical items are also science fictiony and there are gadget-using character classes that at higher levels do wonders that are typical of Space Opera.

Rolemaster has so much complexity (and so many critical hit charts) that a computer would be perfect for playing it. If a computer game had Rolemaster rules, the variety and gameplay could be near infinite and very enjoyable, especially without a "story" or "plotline" except in the wide-ranging form that say Fallout 1 and 2 had. There are rules for stumbling (even fumbling while manuevering) in Rolemaster -- with rules that can take into account such things as characters smashing their head open while dancing in a typhoon while standing horizontal on a glass wall. While not comic in intent, some of the game situations especially at higher levels rival intentional comic effects that occur in games such as Tunnels and Trolls. Rolemaster also has a Science Fiction style game (Spacemaster) and other genre games that can be played with the basic core system.

Of course, the list goes on and on.

Rolemaster should be renamed Chartmaster or maybe Rollmaster. It is the second worst PnP system that I have ever played. 10 hours to make the character, 10 seconds to kill the character. No, let Rolemaster stay dead.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Once you get into the system, it takes around 2 hours to make a character and several months to kill her. But whatever. Characters dying early has to blamed on a bad gamemaster, not the system.

Anyways, sfncf, your idea is funny, I grant you that. But it's never going to be realised.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It has nothing to do with a bad gamemaster. It had to do with an critical hit right at the first combat of the campaign which killed me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

HA!

No, it wasn't a werewolf. It was a lousy orc type thing with a sword.

Rolemaster would be good system to start building rules for computer game. Even Rolemasters so called complex and chart filled system would be nothing for modern computers. Most of it could be hidden inside game mechanics so that it wouldn't overwhelm the players.

Rolemaster system wasn't hard and it didn't take long time to do battles if DM knew what he was doing. I even created extra tables and charts for location based damage and criticals (and damage to items). For me it meant extra things to know and to keep track of, but for players it meant just one extra dice. With computer it would have been even easier.

Some hated Rolemasters "one shot kill" possibility but for me it was important feature in the rule system. To this day I love "no matter how unlikely, a peasant could one shot mighty dragon" design philosophy. Highly unpredictable results are almost complitely gone from modern games but I'd like to see 'em return one day. In these days it's all about color con mobs, challenge rates and whatnot.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Three dead games... I'm not seeing the sales potential here.

-

If you knew anything about the gaming market you'd know that RPG companies do not hold or fold based on the quality of their games. Troika being one obvious exception, of course.

However, you might also consider that all three games aren't dead. Rolemaster is still in print and the company is quite alive. Tunnels and Trolls is entering a new edition. Also, Arduin-Grimoire 2 is quite well and alive.

It might also interest some of the older gamers, such as I, that Empire of the Petal Throne has seen a new edition and new official material is substantiating, in the works so to speak.

If you knew anything about the gaming market you'd know that RPG companies do not hold or fold based on the quality of their games.  Troika being one obvious exception, of course.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. It's all down to CONSPIRACIES! :rolleyes:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There is no way I would touch a Rollmaster game, PnP or computer.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. It's all down to CONSPIRACIES! :p

Wait. Let me write that one down so I remember it. If people think I am ignorant, claim they are paranoid and delusional. Ok.

Now, metadigital, before you start insulting my family as well as asserting that I am chatting about conspiracies (which I am not), perhaps you should consider that maybe there are costs involved in producing a game, publishing a game, bringing it to market. The fall of a game company might have alot to do with mismanagement and poor market choice. Personally, I think Troika fell because they were on drugs most of the time.

However, just so that no one misses the plain facts in the face of your oh-so biting and sharp retorts, as if anyone would expect such wit from a moderator here, Flying Buffalo is still around, the guys who make Tunnels and Trolls. There's a company that's selling Arduin-Grimoire products and rulebooks (the rights for the game belong to Hargrave's widow). Also, Rolemaster is still being published by ICE.

Not only would Tunnels and Trolls be popular with the 16-bit theater chimp crowd, so would Arduin-Grimoire be fun for power-gamers, and Rolemaster be interesting for those who enjoy bloody detail and intricacy. These licenses might be a bit cheaper to obtain and sustain than others.

Anyone hear aught of conspiracy here? No? That's because you're not a diaperhead.

Do not feel badly if you *do* wear diapers on your head -- the fad's coming in fast and hard. Fallout Online has just been announced, so grab those diapers like they're hotcakes, and fasten them over your ears, boys and girls!

Edited by saintfrancisnudecenterfold

Meta was simply using a hyperbole to make your statement seem more ridiculous than it already was.

No, metadigital was insulting me and will probably claim to not be insulting me. I know Obsidian wants that sort of behavior associated with their corporate bulletin board. Really "upstat", right Obsidian?

Anyway, Interplay did mention they were considering a project at least called "Fallout Online". So don't call me an SP just yet!

:popcorn:

But seriously, that's just asinine. Since you don't like the way he presented his opinion, you're now insulting his position.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Congratulations, you totally called Meta's sinister corporate game.

Clearly, you possess a unique intellect.

Clearly, you like accusing people of stuff. Isn't metadigital a moderator of this bulletin board and the behavior of moderators might reflect on Obsidian as a company?

No.

Congratulations, you totally called Meta's sinister corporate game.

Clearly, you possess a unique intellect.

Clearly, you like accusing people of stuff. Isn't metadigital a moderator of this bulletin board and the behavior of moderators might reflect on Obsidian as a company?

No.

Clearly, all those big fat pay checks Meta has been given from Obsidian would disagree!

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Fat pay checks?!?!?! :huh:

Where's mine damn it! ;)