Jagged Alliance 3 News

Llyranor

From some Russian mag, stolen from the Codex:

* Game is published by Akella and developed by F3 - a fairly new team, but composed of veterans from other developers (several from Nival).

* The game is built on a modified Silent Storm engine with updated graphics, improved physics, FX, and damage model.

* There will be no more militia training and sector defense, because players supposedly don't like micro-management. The focus will be shifted towards combat and away from economics. As for strategy, the focus will be on missions, rather than on conquering territory.

* The player can command only one squad of up to 6 (maybe :blink: mercs.

* Inventory handling will be simplified, particularly with respect to ammo. [in SS they used a backpack model with no item stacking.]

* The player's avatar will be generated without the personality quiz.

* Combat mechanics, RPG system, merc hiring, weapon repair, healing, etc. are all transplanted from JA2 with little or no change...

* ...except for the turn system: instead of having alternating turns for different teams, the order will be determined by character initiative. This system is said to be more conductive for multiplayer [although, AFAIK, multiplayer is not planned for this game].

* There will be night and day, plus weather effects, which can be seen on the strategic map.

* The team can move around the global world on foot or on wheels. However, on the tactical map vehicles are stationary. They can be used to store stuff, and some can shoot as well.

* Key locations are designed, but "random encounters" will be randomized. [i am not sure just how much freedom of movement the player will have on the global map.]

* There will be 40 mercs (12 of them new), plus 40 NPCs.

* Plot: the president-for-life in a banana republic is fighting local insurgency, while a neighboring country opened a second front in a bid to annex some territory. Meanwhile, an international corporation is conducting some sinister experiments in the country.

* You can play for one of 4 factions, each with its unique bonuses. In addition, there will be a 5th, non-playable faction - something having to do with a sci-fi subplot (which, as in JA2, can be turned on or off in the options).

* Income will come mainly from your employer (whoever it may be). You can also sell stuff to merchants... if you can find them.

* Merc relations will be modeled after JA2. Opposing factions will routinely hire mercs from AIM (remember Mike?...)

* Hades is a jerk!

* There will be 20 key objectives given by your employer, plus, as in JA2, optional side quests obtained from NPCs. Missions are non-linear: more like JA2 missions (e.g. taking control of SAMs or liberating Tixa) than like in Silent Storm.

* Weapons will be reworked, with many JA2 weapons dropped and some new ones added - both well-known and experimental. Weapon specs will be adjusted to emphasize differences between different models. More different ammo types will be added. There will be more different armour, with heavier armour impeding movement. No more mortars. There will be anti-materiel rifles (12.7mm) and stationary heavy MGs.

* Initial load-out will be more generous than in JA2.

* No more cats. No bugs either.

* No information on release date.

Some screens here: http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/cgi-bin/ubb...=7;t=000201;p=0

:/

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I'm guessing the MiSTLand idea has been scrapped?

Appropriate that they use the Silent Storm engine. The whole time while playing Silent Storm, I was thinking how awesome it would be for Jagged Alliance.

And yes, I remember Mike. A C7 Full Auto Burst was his undoing.

Edited by alanschu

This will be a game plagued by hilariously bad voice-overs, sloppy execution and design choices that will boggle a normal mind. However, deep down under there will be a solid game core that's trying to claw itself out and entertain the player.

I got this vision while wearing my tinfoil hat.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I like the Silent Storm engine overall. It does sound promising, but I have to agree with Morgoth.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I hope not.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

This will be a game plagued by hilariously bad voice-overs, sloppy execution and design choices that will boggle a normal mind. However, deep down under there will be a solid game core that's trying to claw itself out and entertain the player.

I got this vision while wearing my tinfoil hat.

I think you just described 99.9% of the games that Russia and the rest of eastern Europe turns out..

* There will be no more militia training and sector defense, because players supposedly don't like micro-management. The focus will be shifted towards combat and away from economics. As for strategy, the focus will be on missions, rather than on conquering territory.

Translation: We can't be bothered to do a JA3, because, frankly, we don't know how to get the mix right that creates a total greater than the sum of it's parts.

Yet another mediocre squad combat game in the horizon. I'm surprised that they didn't throw in real-time action too, just to rub some salt in the wound.

Jagged Alliance franchise... d020.gif

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein