Toyota's new Supra?: It's a hybrid

kumquatq3

2sn8.jpg

3nv1.jpg

I like the roof, a modern take on the targa top

4eb9.jpg

5lp9.jpg

Details are sketchy, but FT-HS is a front-engine, rear-drive four-seater with a target of about 400 hp from a 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine and next-generation hybrid technology. Toyota officials figure the car should be able to hit 60 mph in the 4.0-second range.

I do have to say they've certainly tried to mate that bi-powertrain engine to a sweet triangular form factored shell that's at least about as big as a Corvette (the ToMoConcept has an end-to-end length of 170.3 inches to the 'vette's 174.6). And for the added size, you even get a cabin with a 2+2 seating arrangement. And depending on the configuration -- we're told the concept features a rail-sliding vista-type carbon-fiber or glass roof to open up the coupe to the elements.

All that remains to be seen is whether Toyota will bring this vision of a future Supra to production reality, maybe around 2009 or 2010.

Those pics are computer generated, but officially released promos for the concept to be reveled at the Detroit auto show.

Also, Jaguar's C-XF concept:

a2juntitledmg7.jpg

a2juntitled4nm8.jpg

I love the Detroit auto show :aiee:

Well, they look real pretty. But you have to realise that in the UK a car is just a form of sofa.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ethanol based fuels.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The Toyota looks like cheap nasty plasticky crap.. although I do realise its a concept. What's the point of a hybrid car? Is it to be more environmentally friendly? If so, the 3.5L engine kinda negates any potential benefit.

Yes and no. If you build a car with V8 power using a V6, I guess that's something right? Every little bit helps. In fact, being hybrid will actually likely improve the cars 0-60 time due to having all that power off the line.

However, Toyota has been talking about a hybrid sports car for awhile now. This car may be Toyota's way of reshaping the consumers mind about what a hybrid is.

My wife and I just bought a 2007 Honda CR-V today. It took like 6 hours at the dealership, but I think we got a pretty decent deal. Now we are taking it to Tahoe to see how it handles in the snow. It's 4-wheel drive, but there is no switch, it's supposed to kick in only when needed. Odd, I guess I'll probably find out how it works tomorrow.

Keep us posted.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The best part about the auto show is when you hide in the car trunks and then pop out of them. It gives people quite the shock.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Pixies, you're getting confused about the meaning of the word 'trunk' again. People, he means trunks as in pants.

-Elwood Blues

5lp9.jpg

Details are sketchy, but FT-HS is a front-engine, rear-drive four-seater with a target of about 400 hp from a 3.5-liter V6 gasoline engine and next-generation hybrid technology. Toyota officials figure the car should be able to hit 60 mph in the 4.0-second range.

Where's the other two seats? :)

Its a sports car. It only has the two seats.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

That is a sexy looking car. When I first herd the term Green Vehical I was floored. These hybrids get promoted as envornment friendly! WHAT!?!?

That they us a little less gas than most is not a reason to say that they are friendly to mother earth!

I would love to see a car that is truely firendly by not belching out nasty fumes. I have fath that is can be done.

That they us a little less gas than most is not a reason to say that they are friendly to mother earth!

Many can cut emissions effectively in half (via getting double miles per gallon). I'd say that is significant.

Edited by kumquatq3

Its better than an expensive plastique toy unless you have a remote detonator.

I think it needs gerbils driving it. They would look cute. Until they actually started moving. Then it would get frightening.

-Elwood Blues