Europa Universalis 1

Llyranor

Okay, Gamersgate (Paradox' digital distribution system) has EU1 for 1 whole freaking dollar. Is the game worth trying out, given that EU2 is apparently better and that EU3 is coming along soon?

1 freaking dollar isn't much of an investment, so I'll gladly shell it out if the game warrants it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Yeah, anyway, I'll get it, but I probably won't get around to playing it in a long while. If anything, it'll give me some idea of what EU3 will be like, maybe even convince me into getting that. We'll see.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Okay, Gamersgate (Paradox' digital distribution system) has EU1 for 1 whole freaking dollar. Is the game worth trying out, given that EU2 is apparently better and that EU3 is coming along soon?

1 freaking dollar isn't much of an investment, so I'll gladly shell it out if the game warrants it.

Buy EU2, not 1, 2 has anything what 1 had, and a LOT more.

EU3 will be a huge difference to EU2, so its worth to have those both.

I enjoyed it 5 years ago.  I'm not sure how well it aged though.

There are a lot easy-to-use mods( roman or mongol as example), it aged well, lot of people still play it.

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Are you seriously this cheap to have to ask if the game is worth a dollar?

What, the crap.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

well since you can take control of a nation at about 1450 (ends in 1819)- and then get free hands - you can imagine how accurate it is (or should I say - becomes)! :dancing:

but the different starting ages shows, quite accurately, where the nations had colonies and which kings were in charge etc. + somewhat accurate how their internal policies were..

and the entire world is available for you to conquer - at least what was discovered before 1819..

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Har har. :aiee:

I never played EU1, but from what I gather it's a light version of EU2. EU2, in turn, was a good game with a bunch of flaws and it was also very poorly balanced until the umpteenth patch came about. EU3 sounds promising in many ways, although there are some features I don't like the look of, that might turn out unplayable or great, probably going from the former to the latter over a patch-ridden few months/years.

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God

No, really.

I played a little bit of EU1 and a lot of EU2, I loved trhe games but to pretend that the combat is good is .. yeah.

It's simple and does a goodj ob at using the limited variables like morale to good effect, but it devolves into movement point arithmetics and has some randomness about it which gives you all the frustration of being a real armchair general and not much else. I play EU2 for its campaign, not its combat.

But the game is about strategy, not tactics. The point is that you aren't the general, so what more do you expect of combat? The thing I can find a bit stupid is that there are no "battles" per se, where the two sides round up on a sunny day and you have an outcome, but generally I don't expect to have anything to do with the actual combat when my task is to run the empire and not single battles.

On that note, I'd love a TW game where you'd get to play battles in the EU era, but they might get a tad too large given the bigger number of troops involved. I suppose its my urge to get to kick some butt with Sweden in a TW game. :)

^Yes, that is a good observation, Checkpoint. /God