Star Wars Galaxies

Sturm

Is Galaxies any good? Me and my friend have considered getting it, We have both played KotOR's side by side basically and finished both. He suggested that it had the multiplayer potential similar to Neverwinter Nights, but of course it doesnt have the fun fun fun multiplayer aspect. The only closest thing to Star Wars online and looks like a good idea is Galaxies. At the moment most of my friends are into World of Warcraft, yuckthx. I wana blow some of my money on something due to mein new jawb, Galaxies seems like a good idea, travelling between planets and stuff, basically like KotOR but the Rebel vs Imperial Era, meh sounds good anyways. I would prefer a Star Wars MMORPG then WoW. Any SWG veterans out there that would give me a hand and tell me the pro's and con's before I go buy it? ;)

Don't waste your money and life Sturm, you'll refret it ;)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Some people found what they've done with the game fun. I know two people who did for a time. Checking out the trial is the only way to really know. Though most people will suggest just staying away from it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

*Warning* Be advised that the free trial has to down load a shed load of files, something like 4.5Gb of data, before you can start playing. Now I'm on broadband, not the fastest broadband in the world to be honest but still broadband, and it would have taken me 12 hours to download all the files....frankly its just not worth it.

I agree, my friend gave me his used WoW trial CD LOL! But you can install it, and from then on I was going to be given some free trial my another one of my friends who plays, the install wasnt working for some reason so they suggested downloading the 4gb file, yeah GG. Like Mortis I too am on broadband but not some fast ass stuff like the ghey lifeless guys do at school which is like 1.5mb or something. Anyways it would take me like ages to download the Galaxies trial shame its not like a steam download manager :p and shame there isnt a trial on disc like the hundreds of WoW trials you see in stores these days. I suppose I should try downloading it, meh its the holidays I suppose ill get around to it once im off the computer, rowing camp thankfully gives me that opportunity.

I agree with you guys, MMORPG's are pretty dodge, it makes your life go down the gurgler, and one of my friends who is completely into wow proves that statement right, he has a level 60, and coming up to another one, thats a lot of time hes wasted on one game. I reckon MMORPG's are the main causes of obesity, not junk food :lol: really it does promote laziness, you just sit on your ass pressing numbers and the occasional typing, and then there is the "trying to play as much possible with the ammount of time you have untill your game card runs out" Umm no thanks.

yeah I wish we head cheap faster net like japan sigh we have the 10th slowest net around come on. Thanks alot phone company's you know you were suppose to give everything fiber optics years ago but instead you pocketed the money you bastards. Thanks for the lag rigific game play.

The force helps me poop better, and use lightsabers to cut my food that then turns into poop.

I take it your from Australia? :lol:

Sounds like our problem, I just got an Email from some Telstra cheif guy saying that he is making the net up to speed now like Europe and USA, hopefully a massive pricetag doesnt come with that either.

Well the low speed is the fault of Telstra, they have a monopoly on the infrastructure and wont let the other companies use them. There is a movement in regional New South Wales for a kind of Co-op broadband. Other than Satellite Broadband the only option is to spam your local MP.

Nero is not from Austalia judging by the user timezone.

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

Ohio

and the net is just sad really. Outside of the direct network of the college, the net is just sad. It's sad knowing we pay about twice the amount for net that is 10 times as slow as japan, when we created the damn thing. Damn copper phone lines.

The force helps me poop better, and use lightsabers to cut my food that then turns into poop.

I stopped playing in August due to financial reasons, and now that I haven't played it in so long, going back doesn't really appeal to me...

Which is weird because I became quite attached to my character...

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

I had a very informative PM from Kalifear, which I hope he doesnt mind me posting:

Sadly no

Its better then it was at release or any other time of its history but still not good enough to validate a monthly charge.

Its main issue (and always has been) is its just Ultima Online with a graphic update and a Star Wars shell. It lacks content to make you feel like your actually in Star Wars, its combat system in out dated (because its basically UO which was out dated 10 years ago anyways).

The other issue with game is housing, while the options and personal touchs you can put in houses are great and industry leading, houseing takes actual space on the worlds so basically what you have on most planets is urban sprawl cobering the planet elliminating the option and opertunity to adventure on those planets and increasing lag because of item count (each house can have 100 + Items which get drawn when ever you close to them) 1000 fold.

The game still has more potential then any other game on the market but after all these years you cant go by that as SOE has failed on every step to live up to that potential. Which is sad as there still to this day remains no good sci fi mmorpgs for players interested in that genre.

Also one of the biggest issues in game is its current client base (by far the biggest whiners in ANY MMORPG currently active). They are mostly made up of much older (time playing, not age or maturity) players who seem to think they deserve special treatment and powers for sticking with the game. Thus the only imput they will give is that which makes them stronger then anyone else causing future game imbalances. These players so whiny that if you goto the web site looking for information to help you you cant help but get depressed about the game in general. I persoanly think many of these people spend more time on the boards complaining then they actually do in game playing. And I wont even bring up the whines about Jedi being a starter class now. These players truely think THEY should be the only jedis in game and have god powers over all others. Its really quite sickening.

One of the best moves SOE had done to the game was to remove non droid pets from the game but because of falling sub rates and constant whines from players who want to kill everything solo with no challenge they bringing those pets back into game which is beither "STAR WARS" in feel or theory (how many character you remember running around with full grown Rancors fighting for them in the movies or books?). Once again making the game more UO then Star Wars.

Last of the main issues is economy, seems players would rather NOT sell a item at a affordable price so all player made items are marked up so high that no new players can afford the most basic of gear and items. This causes the new players to never really experience the game as they should because they have to fight weaker stuff because of equipment. Unless you have 25 million credits saved up (like myself from when I played before) you can forget about space content and epic content because you will not be able to afford the needed equipment. Also you cant just make the stuff yourself because as I said, the urban sprawl has the lands filled with houses and harvesters so you cant get the needed material to make the items even if you wanted to. SOE for what ever reason has refused to destroy ANY buildings in game for last 2 years (regardless if owner of building still even playing) so the main worlds are all the same and just housing from one end to the other.

Really save the money and just keep your eyes open for any new games that might interest you. Id love nothing better then to play a KotOR mmorpg but no ne making it currently. I retried SWG 3 months ago so what Im telling you is current and upto date. I fully expect the game to close or at least merge and close some servers in 07 to minimize costs. I tried game for a full month on one of the busier servers and never saw (regardless of time of day) more then 24 people playing at any given time.

If your looking for a good MMORPG, Id suggest EQ2 (thats what im currently playing), granted its fantasy setting but its very involved and interesting on many different levels. If its sci f your looking for Id suggest checking out the upcoming Bioware game called "Mass Effects" for the xbox 360. Its part 1 of 3 coming out and looks to be anouther great game by Bioware ala KotOR 1 or Jade Empire style and story. Not Star Wars unfortunately but at least its sci fi. There currently is no good (new ) SW games worth buying on the market. I replay KotOR 1and 2 when I need a SW fix and collect 3 different Star Wars comics (KotOR, Legacy, Dark Times).

Hope that helps:)

Star Wars Galaxies was great once upon a time for the reasons that EVE is considered great now. The community and its interactions. There was spies and intrigue. Fame and infamy. Politics, griefing, a mass of stories to tell from characters across the galaxy. The kind of thing that turns a game into a world of its own. A world that you could be a part of, that you helped to build in more ways than just dropping down a house. A world with a developing history. Technical flaws aside, it was great for its time. That time is gone.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i thought the game was removed, i thought the same had happened to UO.

well as to if its worth it, play the free trial, you have nothing to loose save the time. if you think its worth it then you'll likely buy it and have a subscription to it.

but some of us hate mmorpgs becuase of that very reason, refuse to pay to play.

a few of the mmorpgs are worth it, but not many as i work nioghts and i dont think id have time ehough to warrant any price on it.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

I actually DONT suggest people try the free trial.

Main reason being is SOE has added a very fun and engrossing newbie area to game so if you try that, you will thing the game great.

But thats misrepresenting the rest of the game. If the whole game played like the newbie space station did, I would still be playing the game and loving every second of it.

Sadly, it doesnt. There is MORE content in the newbie space station then there is on ENTIRE PLANETS once your finished with the newbie space station.

So the worst thing you can do is tell someone to download the free trial to see if they like the game as they not going to get a realistic or accurate veiw of the game from that trial.

To be honest I hate that this game (SWG) no good because I deperately wanted to enjoy it. I would love a properly made SW mmorpg. Id be forst in line to sign up and would spend years and years playing it. Just because I think, if done correctly, Star Wars is a role players and adventures wet dream come true far as gaming goes. SWG just doesnt fit that bill and never has sadly.

Im currently playing EQ2 (awsome game) and every day I play there I wish someone would make a Star Wars game using the designs of EQ2. The game is so invloved with its factions, skill trees, adventure xp, acheivement xp, crafting xp, guild xp, and so on and so on and so on. Its easily the best mmorpg on the current market (Ive played them all). Not the most popular (thats WOW) but if MacDonalds showed us anything, it that to be the most popular DOESNT mean you have the best quality.

Sadly I think with the failure of Anarcy online, SWG, and some others (even Eve is only limited success at best) I dont think we going to see a real Sci Fi mmorpg any time soon as sci fi quickly getting the rap in MMORPG circles of not being a good sell. I truely hope some company out there understandds that if they made a quality sci fi MMORPG, it would attract alot of people, just to date the games that have been made have been poorly designed and even poorer in upkeep. Sci Fi can sell, it just needs the right game to be made.

ekkk EQ2...

Right now WoW is on top of them all, and well though the community is made up of 12 year olds, or atleast people who like to cry, whine and act like they are 12, the game is on top. it's addictive I have to admit, and I finally quit after 2 years thank god.

THe future, Warhammer online, looks alot like a wow clone, with a more in depth story, and Bioware is creating an MMORPG is still unnamed. Sega is working on an Aliens MMORPG, and a few console games, and Obi is working on the RPG Alien's game.

The games I'm looking forward to, non MMORPG - Mass Effect, Dragon age, and Fable 2 and of course halo 3

oh i forgot peter jackson is making the halo movie, and the halo RTS being made that will also be online play much like Empire earth or age of empires.

as I said Nero, Wow is the most popular but if you examine both games indepth EQ2 is the far far better and more indepth game.

Sadly in MMORPGs, quality doesnt always equal sub numbers (altho to be honest EQ2 not hurting sub wise either).

Warhammer might be successful but I doubt if it will be as successful as some people originally think. First off Warhammer doesnt carry the name recognition that Warcraft or Dungeons and Dragons carry so its going to hit much small group of players over all then those two games did at initial release.

2) Its very pro PVP. As has been proven beyond any and all doubt, pvp doesnt sell to the masses. Most players want pvp but they want it as a add on, when push comes to shove though, if pvp gets equal amount of development time as pve, the masses get turned off and look elsewhere for their gaming fix.

Thats just the god honest simple truth of the matter. In my youth I was very active in pvp so its not as if I hate pvp, just after 16 years of playing mmorpgs even I cant deny the obvious.

Now Warhammer pvp should be better then most other games pvp because the team making the game (designer of DAoC) have a successful template to build off of (if they go that route). DAoC was a huge success pvp wise until they started to add realm point abilities so they should be able to make a interesting and working system for players. But in the end they faced with the sad truth that pvp doesnt sell, pve content does. So they better make sure Warhammer pve is up to snuf or the game going to fail out right.

Anyways, just because WOW has the most subs doesnt make it the best game out there. Having played all the games on the market I can tell you right now EQ, EQ2, and DAoC are all better quality then WOW. Mainly because each of them tried new and exciting things to promote and advance the genre. WOW did nothing new or exciting, it just stole ideas from other games (and in many cases made inferior copies of theose ideas) and got sales off its game name and company name alone.

Which brings us back to MacDonalds, MacDonalds is not the best restraunt in the world, hell its not even the best fast food joint in the world, but the golden arches will always attract and sell, no matter what. WOW is exactly the same thing, lower quality, higher profits! Cant really bash them for being successful but people should never mistake sub numbers as meaning higher quality! Thats just a falsehood and out right wrong statement in every sence of the meaning (and no, thats not bias opinion, thats truthful FACT).

As for Bioware, I think its pretty safe to say they going to stick with what brought them to the dance and their MMORPG will be fantasy based. If Mass Effects sells huge I could see them doing a Mass Effects MMORPG AFTER the trilogy plays out first. Heck I could see them doing a JE MMORPG as well but again after the JE games have all run their course first.

Im also looking forward to MAss Effects but the original poster asked about MMORPGs, not single player games.

Warhammer online, looks alot like a wow clone

yas know, quotes like this are misleading people new to the genre. When I look at Warhammer online I see DAoC 2, not WOW. When I look at WOW I see a hybred of EQ/DAoC/SWG/UO. People need to start understanding that there were successful games before WOW (not to same sub amounts mind you) and those games, not WOW set the standard for all games (including WOW) and how they made. Games are not coping WOW, WOW copied other games. There is a HUGE difference. Warhammer is not a copy of WOW, Warhammer is a updated version of DAoC. WOW was a copy of DAoC.

I really think posters that say stuff like (insert game here) copying WOW doing the genre a total and complete disservice by not recognizing or understanding or even knowing the Truth of the matter before they speak.

Do you think MacDonalds invented the hamburger? Of course not, so why assume WOW created everything in MMORPGs. Fact is WOW doesnt sell on its game play. It sells because its Warcraft and its Blizzard. If players actually cared about Quality WOW would be bankrupt already and closed as it does nothing better then the original designers of the ideas. EQ, DAoC, EQ2, ect all have better graphics, better raids, better quests, better writing, ect ect ect (you get the picture).

So please stop giving credit to something that doesnt deserve the credit. Give credit where credit is due.

Edited by Kalfear