Gamespot awards NWN2 for Best Story in 2006

Zoma

"NWN2 is hands down the best CRPG I have played this year."

Nah. I feel G3 is better, and it's story is actually good. NWN2 does deserve 'best npcs' though. And, voice overs, despite a few REALLY annoying ones.

Lmao, I must be dreaming. Never thought I'd see the day when magical Volo would endorse G3 over NWN2 :p

The way he was going on about G3 on release you'd be forgiven for thinking he hated the game cause of the bugs alone.

Best npc Khelgar? Ok I think the lovable dwarf deserves it. Though a close 2nd imo would be the enigmatic Ammon Jerro. =]

I think crpg of the year should go to NWN2 easy. The industry cats need to get their collective heads out of their behinds and recognize greatness when it graces their presence. All this politics in games is just wack. Oblivion best crpg of 2006? No way!

NWN2 doesn't deserve much else other than a shake of the head since it doesn't even install anymore. Gothic 3 has its bug problems; but NWN2 is ridiculousness!

:x  :x  :x  :x  :x

Doesn't install? What did u do to your gaming rig? Perhaps you could do with an upgrade?

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

Oblivion didn't win the voice acting award though. I think Dreamfall snatched that one. It's still stupid it was even nominated. I guess whoever nominated it was dazzled by Patrick Stewart.

Well, its a good thing it didn't win, I'll say!

The only thing you can say about the voice acting in Oblivion was that it had a lot of it. So does a lot of a really bad thing somehow become good? I think not. Alas. I have a lot of issues with the design choices Bethesda has been making post Daggerfall. Too bad, because the core gameplay of the ES games is right uop my alley.

The first thing I would have done is make sure all the voice actors could actually pronounce their own npc names. =]

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"Doesn't install? What did u do to your gaming rig? Perhaps you could do with an upgrade?"

Do a search. Read about my computer specs. It's NOt my computer - espicially since I had pretty much no bug problems with NWN2 when I first installed it. Now, afetr I had tried uninstalling and then reinstalling to deal with a silly toolset problem; the game no longer installs. At all. Because of this NWN2 is inching slowly to my crap 'it's a fun game once; but afterwards a useless game' list which I would have thought IMPOSSIBLE for a game that is gonna have modules and likely expansions down the road. I might try reinstalling it later; but I'm this close to just throwing the game in the trash which means no NWN2 expansions for me which is amazing since I'm such a D&D/NWN series whore. Hell, I bought POR2 knowijng full well that it had a 99% chance of being crap prior to release.

To me, best rpg should go to either G3 or FF12. Probably FF12 when i think about it because I can't criticize it much. G3 has its bugs problems; and its combat while fun can be rathering annoying at times. FF12 may not have the 'best role-playing tm' (no Ff does); but overall; it does everything well to superbly. Nothing about it screams crap like G3 or NWN2...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NWN 2 is also up for Best Voice Acting.

I'm just surprised NWN2 doesn't get a nomination for:

Best Original Music.

Best Graphics, Technical.

Best Use of a Creative Licence.

Best Multilayer Game.

=]

Ok, so perhaps I'm being a little sarcastic here, but still... if NWN2 had been released as all it was "said" to be, then it would have had no problems in picking up those categories, as it stands now, it doesn't even get an honorable mention.

So much wasted potential :'(

Still, I have no doubt in my mind that come this time next year, between Obsidian and the Custom Content Community NWN2 will be as glorious as its predecessor, and they will have to create a new Category:

"Best Comeback/Most improvement of 2007"

Best Original Music. - NWN2 music is good; but G3 has some of the best music ever.

Best Graphics, Technical. - Again, NWN2's graphics are alright; but G3 (and FF120 crushes it.

Best Use of a Creative Licence. - Hmmm... I think Madden 2007 wins this though NWN2 might win this if it actually could reinstall.

Best Multiplayer Game. - Nah. It should win this award... except... I have played 0 secpond of MP since its MP system (online) is just silly and is 100% user unfriendly when it come sto 'test driving' PWs. If NWN2 gets its acts togetehr and allows me to reinstall it and then finds some way to aid in MP hook up of rnadom people on the net then it might be worthy of this award. Pre release, this (to me) would have been a slam dunk win for NWN2.

NWN2's music was brought from NWN1. So were the sounds. It's one of the best example of how lacking the game is.

Graphics are bad, animations are bad and the entire thing runs like a crippled elephant.

Use of creative license? Obs did a much better job with KotOR2 in this regard.

But Morts was being sarcastic so...

"Doesn't install? What did u do to your gaming rig? Perhaps you could do with an upgrade?"

Do a search. Read about my computer specs. It's NOt my computer - espicially since I had pretty much no bug problems with NWN2 when I first installed it. Now, afetr I had tried uninstalling and then reinstalling to deal with a silly toolset problem; the game no longer installs. At all.

Ah well its most likely a windows RunDLL32.EXE issue, some thing in the registery corrupted or broken. Happens to me with different software sometimes. So its nothing to do with NWN2 imo.

Because of this NWN2 is inching slowly to my crap 'it's a fun game once; but afterwards a useless game' list which I would have thought IMPOSSIBLE for a game that is gonna have modules and

likely expansions down the road.

Hmm where is a all this venom coming from? lolz a month ago you could be seen on bio boards vindicating nwn2 against its n00b detractors <a task I've only just begun recently myself, couldn't stand idly in the face of clueless n00bs>

Bankai - "Zabimaru Howl !"

I'm glad Dreamfall made the list. It has a good story which is a continuation of events in The Longest Journey. I love both games. Adventure games are a refreshing vacation from the usual routine.

There's nothing really original about NWN2's story. Sure, this time around it's about the KoS, but he's just another token bad guy. When I read the story intro on Obsidian's website prior to launch, it came across exactly like NWN's OC intro and IWD2's intro, so I was left thinking, "great, more of the same." Though I did enjoy the historical portions of the story, the final battle was very reminiscent of IWD's.

The plot element involving everyone thinking that Ammon was the KoS was rather transparent. Where were his shadows? Nowhere. He commanded demons and devils instead. The KoS, on the other hand, commands legions of shades and undead. The writers might have been fooled, but I wasn't.

As for best CRPG I've played this year, that remains the Baldur's Gate series.

NWN2's music was brought from NWN1. So were the sounds. It's one of the best example of how lacking the game is.

Then you must be deaf, because if you pay attention, there're also new musical pieces and sounds as well.

Overall, I like the new music more than Soul's old NWN pieces. It's just so overused.

To the game's defence, I only played about an hour, until I met the Dwarf. The only music I heard was from NWN1, same sounds. I was dissapointed.

Do a search. Read about my computer specs. It's NOt my computer - espicially since I had pretty much no bug problems with NWN2 when I first installed it. Now, afetr I had tried uninstalling and then reinstalling to deal with a silly toolset problem; the game no longer installs. At all.

Well, just in case it might help: Install the MSI 3.0 from the NWN2 disc.

Then you must be deaf, because if you pay attention, there're also new musical pieces and sounds as well.

Overall, I like the new music more than Soul's old NWN pieces. It's just so overused.

To the game's defence, I only played about an hour, until I met the Dwarf. The only music I heard was from NWN1, same sounds. I was dissapointed.

Well, I couldn't care less if they re-use things like crickets, birds, wind and that stuff. Doesn't make a difference to me. New musical themes however are in, and show up more frequently when you enter Neverwinter.

Best Character -- Khelgar Ironfist from Neverwinter Nights 2

Khelgar is crazy. There's really no other way to describe him. He's an exiled member of the Ironfist clan of dwarves and he's the first character players meet in the official campaign for Neverwinter Nights 2. It's immediately obvious during the first conversation what Khelgar's role is comic relief. After all, what other role could a crazy dwarf who lives for nothing but fighting fulfill? Even better, the reason he's on the road is because he wants to become a monk. It's not that he's looking for any kind of spiritual fulfillment, it's that a monk beat the stuffing out of him in a bar fight bare-handed and he wants to learn his techniques.

What makes Khelgar our best character of the year is the way he grows and changes over the course of the player's adventure. Should the player gain influence with Khelgar and help him in his quest, Khelgar will eventually grow out of his self-absorption and learn powerful lessons about why people fight and why it sometimes makes you a more powerful warrior to never fight at all. Along the way, he manages to heal some old wounds, make some unusual new friends, insult almost everyone in the Forgotten Realms and become a pretty badass warrior in the process. His story isn't the most profound or deepest we've ever seen in a video game, but it's much more compelling than most "comic relief" sidekicks ever get. Eventually, the player will take as much joy from Khelgar's successes as their own. When it came time to select a party, "Khelgar" was always the first name we picked, and we'd sincerely like to see more of his adventures.

G3 got biggest disappointment

Oblivian won best rpg

NWN2 placed like 5th

Edited by Dragon Lord Jones

"Ah well its most likely a windows RunDLL32.EXE issue, some thing in the registery corrupted or broken. Happens to me with different software sometimes. So its nothing to do with NWN2 imo."

Sure, it does. It most definitely a NWN2 problem. Otehr games work (even G3 sans demo crap). Espicially since NWN2 worked before, and nothing has changed about my computer at all.

NO FREE RIDES!

"Well, just in case it might help: Install the MSI 3.0 from the NWN2 disc."

Hmm.. What's that? I'll che3ck it out. I'll try anything at this point since I want to like NWN2, and I mostd efinitely want to try used mods and all that stuff.

"Hmm where is a all this venom coming from? lolz a month ago you could be seen on bio boards vindicating nwn2 against its n00b detractors <a task I've only just begun recently myself, couldn't stand idly in the face of clueless n00bs>"

I think it would be clear. The game doesn't work. At all. I think that's a very good excuse for venom. If it isn't; I dunno what it is.

"G3 got biggest disappointment

Oblivian won best rpg

NWN2 placed like 5th"

Biggest Dissapointment - Has to be NWN2.

Best RPG - G3 and/or FF12.

Biggest Surprising good RPG - G3

NWN2 would be 3rd on my list though (of course, i've only played 3 rpgs haha!)

Oblivion since it's an ES series sucks the big one.

P.S. People whining about the using of NWN1 resources in NWN2 are foolish and missing the point. The majority of sequels - not coutning ones made eons after the first - use the original's resources. this includes music, characters, sounds, and heck even graphics.

NWN1 music was darn good minus a few crappy tracks. the same with the 'new' NWN2 tracks.

NWN2 oprginal music is very good though G3 still beats it. G3 music is AWESOME. Easily top 5 sound track.

Edited by Volourn

played 3 crpgs that were released new this year:

g3

oblivion

nwn2

is not tough to pick a winner from that bunch.

oblivion were winner... hands down... 'long as we were solely voting on which game had best looking flora.

nwn2 is only game on the list we would play a second time. 'nuff said.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)