Gamespot awards NWN2 for Best Story in 2006

Zoma

I liked this little piece of text:

"But as much of an annus horribilis as 2006 was for the PS3, don't write its epitaph yet. The console is easily the most technologically sophisticated gaming machine this side of a tricked-out $4,500 PC rig. Its true potential probably won't be realized until the end of 2007, when such titles as Metal Gear Solid 4 arrive. (Remember how poorly reviewed the 360 launch lineup was?) Also, the PS3's online capabilities are in their infancy: By the end of next year, hundreds of Sony games and thousands of Sony-produced shows, movies, and songs will be a few Sixaxis strokes away from your living room."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/special_features/b...ex.html?page=13

That's bound to get Epiphany's blood boiling :lol:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What's with all the cheap hip hop Hollywood hoopla?

It's funny how the writing is still shat, but now at least everythign is hyperlinked!!!

Kudos to NWN2.

edit: they had Oblivion's Martin Septim as a candidate for best character.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Hooo, boy. *wipes tear from eye*

:geek:

Edited by Tigranes

Oh, indubitably. It was more of a cheap shot to supplement my comment about the writing. It looks like they've expanded the event to include a bazillion categories, which is all fine, but none of the pages are really worth the read.

It's nice to see Dreamfall and Okami get some thumbs up, though.

Under the best voice acting category:

"Oblivion is filled with high-quality voice acting throughout the many dozens of hours of adventuring it has to offer. "

The voiceacting was so bad, that I had them under suspicion of using a speech generator that would just read and parse the dialogue text files, so flat and unemotional was it. If that makes it into the top 5... :geek:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Oblivion is filled with high-quality voice acting throughout the many dozens of hours of adventuring it has to offer. "

The voiceacting was so bad, that I had them under suspicion of using a speech generator that would just read and parse the dialogue text files, so flat and unemotional was it. If that makes it into the top 5...  =]

What bugs me the most about Oblivion's VO is that Louise Fletcher(I think it's her) does all the women voices.

Or when I'm talking to an Orc about some quest he has a gruff voice but when I choose Rumors it's the VA's normal voice that pops up.

Weird. :aiee:

But Patrick Stewart does a very decent if not too short performance, as does Sean Bean.

But NWN2 voice acting was the best imo, at least from what I heard in the short time I played it. It almost compensates for the horrible graphics and other sounds.

Almost. <_<

NWN2 is hands down the best CRPG I have played this year.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It's my favorite as well, but I'm pretty sure FF12 or Oblivion will take that title. On hype alone if nothing else. I mean Oblivion got nominated for voice acting for crying out loud. And Martin Septim for character.

Now, I liked Oblivion, but it's overall voice acting was mediocre at best and I hated the character of Martin Septim (and the rest of the cast wasn't exactly anything to write home about either). So if Oblivion can score nominations for the weakest part of the game, it's got to hold some favor at Gamespot.

Edited by Spider

You haven't played Fallout this year? :aiee:

Well, yes, but I am only counting new games in that statement. :D

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

"NWN2 is hands down the best CRPG I have played this year."

Nah. I feel G3 is better, and it's story is actually good. NWN2 does deserve 'best npcs' though. And, voice overs, despite a few REALLY annoying ones.

NWN2 doesn't deserve much else other than a shake of the head since it doesn't even install anymore. Gothic 3 has its bug problems; but NWN2 is ridiculousness!

I think FF12 should have won 'best story'... G3 should win 'best world', 'best atmosphere', and 'best music', and 'best use of meaningful choices'.

Khelgar most definitely deserved 'best npc' though except maybe Elanee. :aiee:

=]:x:x:x:x

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I won't touch G3. Hated G2 and I feel that I will hate G3 even more.

That's kind of like winning an award for having the best mullet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I won't touch G3.  Hated G2 and I feel that I will hate G3 even more.

weren't you criticizing Volourn for saying exactly the same thing about Oblivion and Morrowind?

mmm?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The story was somewhat lame in NWN2. A thought the first chapter did a good job to build up some tension and some curiosity, but then when all the "King of the Shadow" drama starts, the game loses it's edge. Most of Act2 and the whole Act3 was just dedicated to prepare the castle and finding the villains, like I'm a stupid lackey of Nasher. Pfft. Nonetheless, the NPCs were indeed awesome. Quara was just such an arragant prick, you just had to love her. Kelghar wins the "first dwarf who I actually like" price, and Sand and Neshkaa were awesome as well. Didn't really traveled too long with the others though.

Edited by Morgoth

The voiceacting was so bad, that I had them under suspicion of using a speech generator that would just read and parse the dialogue text files, so flat and unemotional was it. If that makes it into the top 5...  =]

The voice acting was almost uniformly horrific, except for the Imperial Male. Also horrific was the fact that about 4 voice actors voiced hundreds of npcs. Also every voice actor pronounced names and words differently from every other voice actor. A little tighter control of the production probably could have prevented that.

Giving Oblivion an aware for anything having to do with voice acting is absurd.

And I actually like the game, too.

Oblivion didn't win the voice acting award though. I think Dreamfall snatched that one. It's still stupid it was even nominated. I guess whoever nominated it was dazzled by Patrick Stewart.

Edited by Spider