Father murders child over Xbox

Darth Tratious

This was Tyrone Spellman's explanation to police: He "snapped" after he thought his daughter had broken a $600 Xbox game console.

Alayiah Turman was only 17 months old, born March 29, 2005. Spellman beat her to death, prosecutors say.

In an alleged confession read at his preliminary hearing yesterday, Spellman, 25, said he was playing one of Tom Clancy's "Ghost Recon" games - a violent combat epic - in a front bedroom of his family's Brewerytown home that Thursday morning, Sept. 7. He had taken Alayiah into the room so her mother, Mia Turman, could rest.

"She pulled the cord and the whole game console fell over," Spellman said in his statement, read by Homicide Detective John Cummings. "I thought it was broken. I popped her in the face. I picked her up and tossed her in a chair."

Later that day - at 12:37 p.m. - Alayiah was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital.

Spellman, also known as Anwar Salahuddin, was held for trial by order of Municipal Court Judge Gerard A. Kosinski on charges of murder, endangering the welfare of a child, and related offenses.

Alayiah's slaying was one of several child deaths examined by The Inquirer in an October article on the city Department of Human Services and its oversight of child-abuse and neglect cases.

DHS visited Spellman's rowhouse on the 1500 block of North 29th Street twice in August - each time seeing only the baby's mother, Mia Turman, 21, and Alayiah, inside. Turman told the agency that no one else lived there.

In September, Cheryl Ransom-Garner, then DHS commissioner, told The Inquirer that a social worker had reported the child looked happy and had no bruises. But Turman's mother, Marvine Turman, told The Inquirer that she had seen bruises on the child.

Yesterday's hearing focused on the injuries Alayiah suffered on the day she died.

In his statement, Spellman said that after he tossed his daughter in a chair, he put her on a bed. He then went to tell Turman, who was eight months pregnant and sleeping in a different bedroom, that he was going to a store to get "something to smoke and something to eat."

When he returned, Spellman said, Keith Walker - identified after the hearing by Spellman's supporters as a tenant in the house - told him that Alayiah "fell and had blood on her nose."

Spellman called 911 while Walker tried to resuscitate her.

Mia Turman testified yesterday, her voice at times nervous, as Spellman stared at her. Turman and Alayiah had moved into Spellman's house about a month before the child's death.

Turman testified that Spellman woke her about noon Sept. 7 and that, when she saw Alayiah, the baby's nose was bleeding, "the side of her face was bruised," and "she wasn't breathing."

Under cross-examination by Spellman's lawyer, Bobby Hoof, Turman agreed that Spellman had told her Alayiah had fallen off a bed and had been found lying on a barbell.

Edwin Lieberman, the city assistant medical examiner who performed Alayiah's autopsy, testified that in addition to bruises around her head, Alayiah suffered "tremendous injury" inside her head "caused by at minimum three separate blows" to the right side, top and back of her skull.

Alayiah's skull was fractured to the point that a piece of bone had fallen out, he said.

When asked by Assistant District Attorney Yvonne Ruiz what could have caused Alayiah's internal head injuries, Lieberman testified that a fist could have caused them or her head could have struck a smooth surface, such as a tabletop, wall or floor.

Under cross-examination, Lieberman dismissed Hoof's suggestions. "A simple fall as you are suggesting from a bed would not cause a skull fracture," he said. Nor, he said, would falling on a weight.

After the hearing, Turman, surrounded by relatives, let off her anger toward Spellman, who she said showed no remorse.

"My baby don't deserve that," she said.

Yes I am a sadistic minded bastard.

You're in good company ( me :wub: ). I'll bring a torch to the party. I might add that a large C-clamp applied to certain areas can bring a bit of joy as well. A large supply of antibiotics and O- blood and you can make the event go on for days. Gotta watch out for shock though. Can't have your efforts go unappreciated by the recipient. Don't forget the garbage disposal. Nothing but the finest tools for this cretin.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Yes I am a sadistic minded bastard.

You're in good company ( me :wub: ). I'll bring a torch to the party. I might add that a large C-clamp applied to certain areas can bring a bit of joy as well. A large supply of antibiotics and O- blood and you can make the event go on for days. Gotta watch out for shock though. Can't have your efforts go unappreciated by the recipient. Don't forget the garbage disposal. Nothing but the finest tools for this cretin.

Certain parts are hurting just think about the possibilities. :wub:

Poor guy and poor baby. Sad doesn't even come close to this.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

'Poor guy' my ass! For this slime-ball I'd build a plastic room, attach a 2000 watt microwave oven magnetron tube and punch the 'dinner' button a few times and not feel too much sorrow. Maggot!

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Infanticide, whether intentional or unintentional, happens all the time; they only make the news when accompanied by taglines such as "FATHER KILLS BABY BECAUSE SHE BROKE VIDEO GAME." Don't be fooled - though it appears that video games should be the least of our concerns in this case, the article writers certainly didn't feel that way. Otherwise, they wouldn't have stressed things such as: "he was playing one of Tom Clancy's "Ghost Recon" games - a violent combat epic - ..."

It's sensational news reporting with a heavy bias against gamers. The media is always looking for someone to blame - otherwise, such articles would quickly go out of style as they do nothing but make us more depressed about human nature.

There are doors

This man should be donated to much needed medical reserch into the Ebola virus, How do you 'snap' and punch a baby in the face. It doesen't matter what level of spaptitude you are on, you don't do that.

The implication that the video game had anythig to do with his actions is a disgusting exploitation of a tragedy.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

'Poor guy' my ass! For this slime-ball I'd build a plastic room, attach a 2000 watt microwave oven magnetron tube and punch the 'dinner' button a few times and not feel too much sorrow. Maggot!

And waste perfectly good organs? You never know, his liver and kidney might be used to save lives, even if his brain may not.

Apart from that, doesn't most microwaves have a slow "defrost" program? <_>

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This man should be donated to much needed medical reserch into the Ebola virus,

:D Usually, you and I disagree on what to do with 'human slime' such as this. It's good to see that such as this can be mutually agreed to use as a lab-rat for the betterment of the human race. :wub:

*bleeding from the eyes, now there's something I don't know how to cause* :wub:

Ruminations...

And waste perfectly good organs? You never know, his liver and kidney might be used to save lives, even if his brain may not.

*Hangs head in shame for missing the obvious good that this individual could contribute to society* :wub:

Ruminations...