Star Trekkin!

Calax

Well Star Trek Legacy is out in America and according to things I've read, the game does horribly. I was wondering about the thoughts that you guys had and what shadowstrider might have to say (given he works at Bethesda) about this game.

User reactions on gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/startreklegacy/review.html

Game Informer gave it somthing close to an 8.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

he works there?  :blink:

yup. Thats why he had to quit being a mod, because he got hired by bethesda.

as to alan

I'm not entirly sure... I just thought he might be able go give us a reason as to why they decided to use the Armada 2 engine rather than getting permission to use... say... the Homeworld 2 engine.

Seems like it would not even be worth the trouble of downloading... Thats the best copy protection money can buy! ^_^

Its yet another "Published by" game so what do you expect... but then Mad Dog has far more credibility than Akella ever did, so where did it all go wrong?

Edited by Mortis Nai

I haven't played a Trek game since the first Elite Force, which was a lot of fun, especially in deathmatch with bots. ;) I did play the older adventure games, though the NextGen one had a bug that kept me from completing the game. Companies weren't that big on patching back then so you were pretty much stuck with what you bought unless you had the ability to hack the game and fix the bugs yourself. I have some ability in that regard, but I won't waste my time on anything except my favorite games, and none of the Trek games made that category.

I actually enjoy Legacy, for what it is, at least.

The controls take some time to get used too, and the AI has spurts of anti-intelligence. My favorite review of the game thus far has been the OXM UK, where the reviewer says the game has too much 3D, but also has too much 2D. If someone could explain that to me, I would be grateful.

If someone wants to challenge me to a deathmatch on Xbox Live, I'd be glad to play.

The game looks pretty...and if the one review is accurate, I like the way the original Trek time frame is more gung-ho battles-wise while TNG period is slightly less so - following the way the series actually were, perhaps...the controls sound like a nightmare tho. :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If it comes out on the PC I might give the game a try. Haven't bought a Star Trek game ever but this has some elements that looks interesting.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The game looks pretty...and if the one review is accurate, I like the way the original Trek time frame is more gung-ho battles-wise while TNG period is slightly less so - following the way the series actually were, perhaps...the controls sound like a nightmare tho. :thumbsup:

The controls are much better now than they were. The game plays excellently on a 360 gamepad, I prefer keyboard + mouse, but most people had trouble with keyboard + mouse.

The game mechanics are difficult to master, different ships have different firing arcs and movement rates, where others have cannons on all sides of their ships, but can't fire vertically. Ships with good sensors acquire phaser lock faster and can activate sub-system targetting more adeptly.

The problem is the documentation is poor. I actually tried to help this towards the end of the development, but not much could be done. Most people won't figure out how to use sub-system targetting, which is where the real strategy of the game is.

The day Legacy was released on PC I was terrorizing people online, destroying their weapons and engines, leaving before finishing the job.

Personally, I think the game is fun. If you go in with high hopes expecting some sort of realistic space sim game, you're going to walk away disappointed. If you go in expecting a tactical, squad based space battle game, you should enjoy yourself.

Internally, we ran a lot of games with arbitrary rules assigned. One of my favorite games was a game I call assimilation. 1 player is borg with 4 ships, 3 other players can be anything but borg and can take only 2 ships, originally it was 3 on 1, but we found it to be more fun as a free-for-all. Everyone would start out gunning for the borg, but then someone would get greedy and want first place, they would inevitably turn on their former allies for the extra points.

Like I said, Legacy is fun for what it is. If you think you would enjoy a space battle game using capital ships made famous by Star Trek, it might be up your alley.

P.S. Hades, it has been out on PC for a week.

what happened to the grapics? supposedly bumpmapping is nonexsistant without you having some technical skill in overrideing the system.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=127244

the relicnews thread that made me ask ^

Edited by Calax

btw strider... how do you subsytem target?

and you guys mean this?

Edited by Calax