Splinter Cell games

kormesios

I never looked twice at the Splinter Cell games, since I can't read more than two pages of Tom Clancy's prose and don't play many FPS's.

In fact, the only FPS' I've enjoyed even slightly are Deus Ex (the first one) and the Thief series. But I read somewhere that the Splinter Cell games are somewhat similar in gameplay--stealth intensive, not much shoot-em-up or twitch factors. Is this true? Should I give one a try?

Depends on what platform you're buying them on. I tried playing Chaos Theory on the PC, and the controls were just awful, not very well suited for tat type of game at all. I've played them all on consoles as well though, and they're enjoyable games, the first two can be a bit frustrating though due to the "3 alarms and mission is over" gameplay mechanic, which they removed for the last two. If you decide to get into them, I'd start with Chaos Theory. Double Agent is pretty good, but it's pretty buggy, to the point that it makes it a chore to try and play.

Well, for one, Splinter Cell isn't an FPS. Its main mode is third person. I wouldn't even call it a shooter, either. It's kind of like Hitman, with more stealth. You go through each mission and complete objectives, and when you complete the objectives you leave. The gameplay is actually pretty similar to Thief, as far as the stealth part of the game goes.

As far as the plotlines go, they're not too different from standard Clancy. But it's all about espionage instead of paramilitary stuff. And unlike most Clancy games, there are characters (albeit not very well developed ones) present.

I recently played Double Agent, and I thought it was pretty good. There are parts of the game where you can't kill anyone, and you have to remain completely unseen and sneak around. It's also got some semblance of a branching plot, but it's more cosmetic than anything. I also hear the MP is pretty fun.

I've played all the games up to Chaos Theory and I say they are worth playing. They are pretty cheap now too.

Gameplay wise, its very sneaky as you utilize the shadows, enviroment and various gadgets to remain undetected and scope out enemy movements. Although sometimes I wondered why state-of-the art computer labs and such never had decent lighting for the people who worked there.

Storywise, its typical save the world from terrorist threats. Nothing too jaw-dropping. Don't expect a Metal Gear like story...which some people might like.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the responses! I'm pretty much convinced. Sounds like the focus is really "stealth", and it looks like I can easily pick up Chaos Theory for under $20, which is about my cutoff point for me taking a chance. I'll grab a copy sometime over the holidays, maybe to reward myself for shopping for everyone else. :p

Even though I dislike Clancy, I wasn't that worried about the story. Nothing against an espionage thriller, and if the game's fun, I'll live with a stilted storyline. (It's not like the Deus Ex plot would have been a good novel.) A little worried about using PC controls, but I'm sure I'll manage to get used to them if the game is OK.

Get Chaos Theory if you're thinking about getting a splinter cell game. It's much more refined and much more fun then the first two. No more crappy 3 alarm and you fail element, and also the ability to quicksave anytime you want. The characters and level designs are pretty good too.

IF you like Thief give them a go...they're kind of similar (even down to the cynical, world-weary protagonist) except with higher-tech gadgets in SC.

Definitely start with CT - the first two are a bit dated and DA seems to have a lot more missions that are conducted in broad daylight rather than under cover of darkness.

I have loved each and every single one of the Splinter Cell games. Double Agent (even on teh PC Bokishi....I guess I'm just lucky again because I never had any real issues with bugs in it, though I know they exist. The only one I had was fixed by using AMD's dual core optimizer to help with the timing of dual core chips).

The only disappointment I had in the series was that Double Agent didn't continue the trend of every successive game being better than the previous one. I think it was a bit of a step down from Chaos Theory (which I loved immensely....I actually missed Sam's chatter with Grimsdotter. Given what happens in DA, I bet he would have loved to have had a chat with Grimsdotter again), but the idea behind the game was promising. The story was still pretty solid IMO.

I agree with alanschu that DA was a step down from CT, though I really enjoyed the missions that took place in the terrorist's base.

As for bugs - on one particular level the game would crash when trying to load a game while in the level, and a strange bug that made that night vision useless.

I think you're all forgetting what the real draw of Splinter Cell is.

TotalRecall22.jpg

QUAAAAAIIIIIIIDDD!!!!

:ermm:

I don't think Ironside loses any appendages in Splinter Cell. For once.

I took Pop's advice recently and bought Double Agent, really enjoyable game and a much improved plot over the previous instalments, most probably because Sam actually gets to interact with the baddies instead of just shooting them in the head.

He also gets some hot loving, if you play your cards right.

I agree with alanschu that DA was a step down from CT, though I really enjoyed the missions that took place in the terrorist's base.

As for bugs - on one particular level the game would crash when trying to load a game while in the level, and a strange bug that made that night vision useless.

Oh yeah, I remember that bug now. The way I worked around it was to quit to main menu before loading, since I was always allowed to load my game from there.

It was in the streets of that town, which had lots of soldiers and resulted in me dying a lot :D

Hahaha, there was no hot loving for me. Must have missed that part ;)

Edited by alanschu

I have loved each and every single one of the Splinter Cell games.  Double Agent (even on teh PC Bokishi....I guess I'm just lucky again because I never had any real issues with bugs in it, though I know they exist.  The only one I had was fixed by using AMD's dual core optimizer to help with the timing of dual core chips).

The only disappointment I had in the series was that Double Agent didn't continue the trend of every successive game being better than the previous one.  I think it was a bit of a step down from Chaos Theory (which I loved immensely....I actually missed Sam's chatter with Grimsdotter.  Given what happens in DA, I bet he would have loved to have had a chat with Grimsdotter again), but the idea behind the game was promising.  The story was still pretty solid IMO.

I haven't played DA yet, but I agree with Jimmy about the first three.

I'd play them in order. I haven't finished Chaos Theory yet, though, as the graphics demand was giving my laptop conniptions. :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT