Setzer

"For freedom"?

What is this, Braveheart 3?

The Spartans were notorious for not only keeping slaves, but keeping them in horrendous conditions. Young male Spartans would go out into the countryside and hunt slaves for sport. Indeed, so bad were the conditions that the countryside was almost always wracked with slave revolts. I am certainly getting sick, as others are, or this pre-chewed nitwit fodder.

Yes, and the US was putting forth that "all men are created equal" while they still had slaves.

Generally, when people talk about doing things for freedom, they mean "my freedom." The Spartans did fight for Freedom, not in general, just from Persia.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So the director of this is also doing the movie adaption of Watchmen, and the uncensored trailer that was shown at Comic Con last year got leaked to the internet. And smack dab in the middle of the trailer is this:

I was really hoping Hollywood would stay away from Watchmen.

So the director of this is also doing the movie adaption of Watchmen, and the uncensored trailer that was shown at Comic Con last year got leaked to the internet. And smack dab in the middle of the trailer is this:

I was really hoping Hollywood would stay away from Watchmen.

There was a script going around by David Hayter, guy who wrote the first X-Men movie, which was reviewed by most major internet movie news sites who said it was pretty much the perfect adaption. I believe Alan Moore read it and said that its the closest thing a movie can get to the comic without being stupid.

They were getting Paul Greengrass to direct the movie, he did The Bourne Supremacy and United 93.

So they scrapped that, killed the script, and got the director of Dawn of the Dead to do it instead.

Isn't Hollywood awesome?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hmm, I was actually bothered by the bad dialogue in Sin City. Is it similiar at all?

similar? only in the sense that in both 300 and sin city, the dialogue as written in the comic book were not meant to be spoken. stuff in print not always translate well when it has a living person doing the speakings... will seem forced, over-blown, hokie. sin city were going for film noir... very different dialogues from 300. that being said, Gromnir suspects that 300, as a relatively faithful adaptation, will face same problem that sin city did: Frank Miller's dialogues ain't always fit for human mouths.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There was a script going around by David Hayter, guy who wrote the first X-Men movie, which was reviewed by most major internet movie news sites who said it was pretty much the perfect adaption. I believe Alan Moore read it and said that its the closest thing a movie can get to the comic without being stupid.

Fun fact: Hayter is also the voice of Solid Snake. It's weird, because I always used to think of Snake as the secret agent alter-ego of Wolverine.

The AV Club has a nice little study of the movie (they gave it a C) They describe it as Starship Troopers - the sci-fi + swords and capes - (sense of humor - awareness of own ridiculousness). I liked Starship Troopers, so I'll likely see this, though I expect to be nonplussed, and my movie-going comrade has taken to some heart trouble recently so we might be a little late to the party.

I just made it in from my first screening of the movie. I'm going again next weekend.

I've never read Frank Miller's comic, nor bothered to read the history behind this movie, but I was pretty pleased with this show in general. The first hour drags a bit, but once the Spartans make their stand it's pretty enjoyable.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I hate you. The movie sold out just before I got to the front of the line... I feel like hurting something, but I'm not sure what at this point in time. Possibly that lucky bastard that decided to actually show up and prevent me from stealing his ticket. That sounds like it would be fun.

Apparently a bunch of people I know are going to see it on Sunday, so I'll have to go with them instead.

I went pretty early, like to the five pm showing. There's a break for teacher conferences this weekend, so its' been playing most of the day. And our theatre wasn't full by any means. But the 7:10 and 10:15 showings were nearly sold out, although I should add most new releases are packed the first day.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I went pretty early, like to the five pm showing. There's a break for teacher conferences this weekend, so its' been playing most of the day. And our theatre wasn't full by any means. But the 7:10 and 10:15 showings were nearly sold out, although I should add most new releases are packed the first day.

The last movie that sold out here was the first Lord of the Rings movie. :)

Really, one of the older (than me at least) guys went to go see Wild Hogs or whatever it's called, but it was full. He got stuck seeing Ghost Rider instead. :)

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Really, one of the older (than me at least) guys went to go see Wild Hogs or whatever it's called, but it was full. He got stuck seeing Ghost Rider instead. :)

Small city + big cinema + no one that likes to reserve tickets ahead of time = lot's of empty seats (usually). :sorcerer:

:)
Small city + big cinema + no one that likes to reserve tickets ahead of time = lot's of empty seats (usually). :sorcerer:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Oh, and this movie makes me want to go back to the gym.

Why is that?

I believe he's referring to all the rockin' manbods on display. Loincloths and capes, son, all over the place. Makes it kind of funny that the Spartans unironically refer to Athenians as "boy lovers" in the film. It's a movie about soldiers, and there is no greater lover of the male physique than the military, if you catch my drift. And this ain't just any military, it's a Frank Miller military, so rock-hard abs and monstrous biceps are standard issue. I know a lot of girlies who are seeing this solely to experience Gerard Butler naked.

I understand, though I don't know much about this Frank Miller dude.

Frank Miller = Possibly the most overrated man in comics. Awful artist, average writer, given godlike status. The only person I can think of in comics that is more overrated is Neil Gaiman.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"For freedom"?

What is this, Braveheart 3?

The Spartans were notorious for not only keeping slaves, but keeping them in horrendous conditions. Young male Spartans would go out into the countryside and hunt slaves for sport. Indeed, so bad were the conditions that the countryside was almost always wracked with slave revolts. I am certainly getting sick, as others are, or this pre-chewed nitwit fodder.

Yes, and the US was putting forth that "all men are created equal" while they still had slaves.

Generally, when people talk about doing things for freedom, they mean "my freedom." The Spartans did fight for Freedom, not in general, just from Persia.

If your word was not enough I have also been advised by my stepfather who is a classicist, that the Spartans really did go on about freedom. Freaky.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.