Setzer

It looks awesome. I'll see it.

American perspective my ass. Want a movie that doesn't have an American edge to it? Don't watch war movies made in America. Simple.

Secondly, judge the movie on its own merits, not on the psycho who created its basis. If it's meant to be a high flying action movie, and you expect a dramatic love story so judge it based on that, you're an ****, and you need to die.

And stop with the anti-american ****. We know you don't like America. Got it. Check. List's apparently done, as that seems to be one of the only things you have a problem not bitching about.

The movie has an interesting style, and an interesting premise. Leave it at that.

Someone is not having a good day apparently :*

I'll say what I want whenever the hell I want and you, or anybody else, ain't gonna make me stop, capisci?

What I'm saying is that US filmmakers have a tendency of spoiling such movies in their own indirect way they know best...happens with 95% of historic movies.

I remember Eldar (at least I think it was Eldar) in a thread on the Lair saying he was worried Alfonso Cuar
Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

What is the political message in 300. I can't really see one. It's about 300 Spartans who get butchered to a man in a last stand against Xerxes. Xerxes however loses because he commits hybris.

American agenda ?

Maybe if it was the other way around :*

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Gonna have to mostly agree w/Ramza too - the trailer just looks like every other special-effects blockbuster movie trailer. Nothing special.

Not saying it doesn't look like it'll have some cool battle scenes. Probably will. But as much as I like well-done big bold battles in media, I'm also getting a little tired of the CGI generated look.

It's like that period where every medieval trailer seemed to have the "army fires 1000's of arrows up into the air" shot. Zzzzz. :*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Incidentially, there is no 'American' perspective to the 300 story. American military historians have a soft spot for ancient Grece, but I have a hard time seeing the story as analogous to anything contemporary.

Well the bad guys in the movie are Persian. :lol:"

Actually, a better parallel is to equate the modern hyper-power of the USA with the equivalent Empire if the Ancient world: Persia. Other comparisons could be made, between the tiny force of arms that dared to defy them, in some backwater of the world (Greece and, say, al-Qā`ida) ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm tired, it's finals time, I've been up for 36 hours, I've got 6 pages of a 10 page paper done that's due in an hour, and I may fail a couple classes. But that's not really the reason.

You actually annoyed me for once with the anti-american ****....I must be slipping.  :">

Hehehehehe :D

I understand, no hard feelings, cheers. :huh::lol:

frank miller: Tool of The Man.

okie dokie.

in any event, am kinda flattered that courage, honor and sacrifice is now considered "American." didn't think we had a monopoly.

the movie looks like the comic... for better or worse. were no way to make look likes comic w/o substantial cgi. am trying to imagine just how much cgi would be needed for TDKR, another one of frank's flag waving stories.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@calax: What do you mean by "He's screwy and doesn't work with what exsists."?

Recently he did the Batman: Year One miniseries, which is an origin story of batman and several of his opponents. Only problem is that he took characters and made them into what they never were (Catwoman for example was a prostitute in year one. She'd never stoop that low on the ladder to survive). He's also a kook in that he's the one writing Batman: Holy Terror where batman hunts down and captures Osama Bin Laden.

In "Dark Knight Strikes Again" he took a story and turned it into a chaotic bucket of ideas that he tried to turn into some sembalance of a story but ended up with the reader feeling like they just read five seperate unrelated nonsequiters.

He's also a born again Patriot.

Recently? Recently? Batman: Year One came out in 1986/87, which was before you were even born! Further, it was a reboot of the Batman mythos following Crisis on Infinite Earths and was in the same vein as Man of Steel.

Holy Terror has Bats going after Al Qaeda agents, not bin Laden. Miller's stressed that point several times.

DK:SA was crap, I'll agree with that.

There isn't a bloody thing wrong with being a patriot.

Edited by deganawida

No other studios from any other country have made movies about courage, honor, and sacrifice?  Man, sounds like a market waiting to be tapped!

I didn't excatly mean that...and if you think so, then....yeah you go right ahead, cash out your savings and start directing movies about brave Canadian penguins or something...

"For Freeeedooooom!"

One of historys most militaristic and totalitarian states is fighting for freedom? hehe.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well wanting to be free of the Persian empire is a battle for freedom as well, more or less. ^_^

Free to be under another dictator? h

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Looks like a genre picture to me. Frank Miller's The Scorpion King 2: the 300. Oh yeah.

I just wonder if they'll have the balls to show spartan women as they were, no-bull**** militants who trained for battle just like their husbands. Judging from the trailer, the women in the movie seem like the noble feminine-beauty types (the kind of woman a real man would fight for). Kind of a let down.

But I realize that this whole Thermopylae thing is a thin pretext for some cinematic professional wrestling + swords. It's to their credit that I haven't seen a "based on a true story" yet.