Game Owner

Profile: BrianJNWN

NWN: SoU

NWN: HotU

SW: KotOR Xbox

NWN 2

Joined: 08 Sep 2002  Posted: Friday, 08 December 2006 04:50AM

Quote: Posted 12/08/06 04:43 (GMT) by A Grain of Sand

How isn't Atari supporting it? They are aiding Obsidian in making patches for the game. How is that not supporting the game?

They are collecting info for Obsidian, which Obsidian can quite easily do themselves. I have read a moderator post over on the Atari boards that seemed to imply that it was Obsidian's job to troubleshoot customer problems.

The post left the impression that other than reading thier forums and then telling Obsidian what the forums said, they had no "tech support" obligations.

Obsidian counters that tech support is Atari's job, and in the mantime, they (Atari) don't seem to be talking to the paying customers.

At least here I have seen Obsidian Devs actually working with customers to try to actually fix things, but my own problems are as yet unresolved.

Perhaps in a month or three my frame rate will stay above 20 fps, perhaps not. I am no longer prepared to get angry over the situation. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with my 2 cents. No one is listening, too busy patting themselves on the back for a job half-a.... accomplished.

And then Read this Vault News about Obsidian stopping NWN2 work after the 1.03 patch, and being replaced by the "NWN2 Live Team".

Author: Vault_News

collection | wishlist

Title: 0110011010

Be Nice to Me I'm a Bot

Date Posted: 11/17 11:10am Subject: New NWN2 Live Team!

Obsidian is busy working on the 1.03 patch to ship before Thanksgiving weekend, after which the Live Team will take over to handle future patches and support for the community. They include none other that Obsidian CEO, Feargus Urquhart, Senior Producer, Ryan Rucinski, Assistant Producer, Nathaniel Chapman and Senior Designer, Tony Evans. Here's a little more on what they will each be responsible for.quote:

Feargus Urquhart

Obsidian's CEO, President and new Executive Producer on the Neverwinter products here at Obsidian. He's working on something really special!

Ryan Rucinski

Senior Producer. Ryan will be producing the next few months worth of patches and localizations, and will slide over into the producer-in-charge role.

Nathaniel Chapman

Assistant Producer. He will be assisting Ryan with day to day issues on the project and become even more active on the forums especially regarding patch issues.

Tony Evans

Senior Designer. He will be coming on to do community management and some very special projects!

Thanks to Obsidian Executive Producer, Darren Monahan for the heads up and we look forward to working with the team and the cool new things they have planned.

So that four man team is all that's left for any future support of NWN2? What kinds of changes can they accomplish? Can we expect further optimization of the game? Who is in charge of tech support and bug squashing? Did Atari tie their purse strings and turn their back on NWN2?

Edited by Fionavar

So that four man team is all that's left for any future support of NWN2? What kinds of changes can they accomplish? Can we expect further optimization of the game? Who is in charge of tech support and bug squashing? Did Atari tie their purse strings and turn their back on NWN2?

This would not be all that dissimilar to the original game.

What? NWN1 had 2 expansions..

Edited by Riftworm

What? NWN1 had 3 expansions..

What was the 3rd? I only remember Shadows of Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. Anyway, working on expansions would be considered development of the expansion, not support of the original game. And Obsidian has no control over whether or not they can make an expansion or not. Thats atari's call.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What? NWN1 had 3 expansions..

What was the 3rd? I only remember Shadows of Undrentide, and Hordes of the Underdark. Anyway, working on expansions would be considered development of the expansion, not support of the original game. And Obsidian has no control over whether or not they can make an expansion or not. Thats atari's call.

Typo I corrected before you responded (at 11:00) . In any case they had 2 expansions. The point is Atari's pockets were getting fat from NWN1 and had the resources to supplement 2 more expansions and many many patches.

I don't remember any such news that Atari abandoned Bioware at any point? Is this substantiated by so much as a news worthy Vault or Bioware post?

In any case what becomes of NWN2 now?

Edited by Riftworm

Bioware also produced "premium modules' like Kingmaker and Witch's Wake, and the newer Infinite Dungeons (based on a so-called new idea that's really as old as computer games). They're shorter than your typical expansion, but provide refreshing breaks from the longer campaigns.

Thanks for this thread Riftworm. As we continue to try to limit NWN2 threads owing to Atari/Bio discussion being directed their way, I feel that patches and the subsequent threads need also to have a voice. So, this thread has been moved to Skeeter's where I hope it will encourage constructive discussion and input.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Thanks for this thread Riftworm. As we continue to try to limit NWN2 threads owing to Atari/Bio discussion being directed their way, I feel that patches and the subsequent threads need also to have a voice. So, this thread has been moved to Skeeter's where I hope it will encourage constructive discussion and input.

Respectfully,

Fionavar

Sweet thx for putting this where no one will ever see it! :joy:

Continued support for games is more an exception than a rule, although some companies do so in order to preserve the good name of the game. A good example is the total war series where patches still emerge 6 months after the game has been released.

Not everyone can justify the manhours to the beancounters though.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

So after supporting NWN for 3 years Atari was going to support NWN 2 only for 2 months? :shifty:

You, dear Riftworm, are a whiner. Because when you don

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hey, Riftworm, what's with all naysaying? I have yet to hear a single positive word about NWN2 from you. Or you think NWN2 has none?

Anyway, I doubt that this is the end of NWN2 support. Do we have any figures on how many people were supporting NWN1, at least with patches?

Great. He gets himself banned from Bioware and now he is going to flood the Obsidian forums with his spiel. :roll:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Great.  He gets himself banned from Bioware and now he is going to flood the Obsidian forums with his spiel.  :roll:

I take back every bad thing I have ever said about bioboards or their moderators. If you happen to be reading this: Great work guys!

Great.  He gets himself banned from Bioware and now he is going to flood the Obsidian forums with his spiel.  :roll:

Link? :rolleyes:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Link? :rolleyes:

to be fair, it don't take much to get banned from bio these days.

that being said, rift obviously gots an axe to grind... which ain't always a bad thing. those slightly over-the-top fans who gots some touch o' fanaticism can be useful for sparking debate, but am not sure why every board gots to have one guy who inevitably goes off deep end and simply wants to use boards to grandstand...

"see, i was right. (insert developer name) has once again proven just how incompetent/idiotic/evil they really are."

*shrug*

we suspect that continued support o' nwn2 will depend mostly on sales. if sales is bad, then no 'mount of whimpering from rift or anybody else will gets increased support beyond what we gots now. if sales is good, then atari will want the almost free money that comes with expansions for a succesful game... and nothing the obsinaties or atari folks do now will impact sales o' nwn2. can't rebuild game through patches in hopes that some huge number of non-purchasers will hear 'bout improvements and buy. foolishness.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Actually, I think the only PC games with better sales figures than NWN2 during November were The Sims 2 and WoW.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"to be fair, it don't take much to get banned from bio these days."

Simply not true.

"nothing the obsinaties or atari folks do now will impact sales o' nwn2. can't rebuild game through patches in hopes that some huge number of non-purchasers will hear 'bout improvements and buy. foolishness."

O RLY? Proof? I don't think it should come to a big surprise that NWN was a prettyd ecent seller even well after after its original release.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What? NWN1 had 2 expansions..

Expansions do not qualify under "support" for a game in my opinion. They are another product sold for profit.

The post you quoted only spoke about patches and support. You can't see definitively one way or another whether or not they are working on an expansion pack. Perhaps the rest of Obsidian is working on an expansion pack, while the Live Team takes care of interim updates and patches. Assuming Obsidian wants to do an expansion pack.

Edited by alanschu

can't rebuild game through patches in hopes that some huge number of non-purchasers will hear 'bout improvements and buy.  foolishness. 

HA! Good Fun!

That's not entirely true. I for one, am still holding off on purchasing NWN2. If the game continues to be patched and supported and positive word of mouth builds, then I would gladly pay full retail for the game in a few weeks or so.

If support begins to peter out at this point or soon after, then I will consider my position of waiting on a major game relase to prove itself once again vindicated, and will pass on purchase.

Perhaps down the road I would pick it up in the bargain bin or something. Perhaps not.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

"That's not entirely true. I for one, am still holding off on purchasing NWN2. "

how is our comment not entirely true based on your response?

"I for one,"

exactly. you is just one. the number of people likes you is small... very small. atari knows.

first 2 qaurters or bust.

HA! good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"to be fair, it don't take much to get banned from bio these days."

Simply not true.

"nothing the obsinaties or atari folks do now will impact sales o' nwn2. can't rebuild game through patches in hopes that some huge number of non-purchasers will hear 'bout improvements and buy. foolishness."

O RLY? Proof? I don't think it should come to a big surprise that NWN was a prettyd ecent seller even well after after its original release.

am surprised that we still bother to respond to vol

"not true," is hardly an argument. disagree with us if you want, but we doubt you convince anybody that you is correct simply by disagreeing with Gromnir.

and nwn sold big from day 1... which is why atari continued to support. you gots things so bass akwards it is ridiculous. big sales of nwn products came following release of core game and its expansions. show us how sales spiked following release of patch and maybe you gots yourself something substantial worth arguing... which would be a shock to everyone.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

waiting on a major game relase

A smart strategy.

To date, it seems the developers have bungled a public relations opportunity by releasing flawed patches, rollback scripts and poor download support. I'd wait for a stable, non-beta patch that doesn't require you to rely entirely on the app's online update mechanism.

You might be waiting a while, tho. Word is they might not release a critical rebuild.

That said, the game runs very well on my mediocre rig. I've yet to patch for fear of creating problems. The changes that have been publicized in v 1.03 sound useful, but I'm not sure any are revolutionary enough to significantly impact my experience or opinion. We'll see.

Oh, and hi Crashie.

"I for one,"

exactly.  you  is just one.  the number of people likes you is small... very small.  atari knows. 

I too am holding out until bugs and performance issues are resolved. I'm definitely keen on buying the game, but not in its current form. There, now you have two. :sorcerer:

So after supporting NWN for 3 years Atari was going to support NWN 2 only for 2 months?  :sorcerer:

You, dear Riftworm, are a whiner. Because when you don

Edited by kirottu