A New PC

Rosbjerg

I might get the P5N32-E SLI

I have this, with a Core 2 Duo processor. So far it's been absolutely fine, although it would be nice if it had another PCI slot.

(w00t)

Tell me more about it. I found this board on clubit.com for only $240USD. Have you encountered anything unusual? what ram did you buy? How hot does your chipset run? Do you like the new features NVidia offers with its chipset?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Nothing unusual to report. Memory was two of these, I think. I have no idea how hot my chipset runs, though if you tell me how to find out, I'm happy to let you know. It's running with a single nVidia graphics card at the moment - I wanted an SLI motherboard so I could upgrade more easily next year. I think the graphics are phenomenal, but I don't know how much of that owes to the motherboard or what the nVidia chipset does. I basically went to Novatech and said I wanted a Core 2 Duo processor and an SLI motherboard that would take it, and this is what they gave me.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Nothing unusual to report.  Memory was two of these, I think.  I have no idea how hot my chipset runs, though if you tell me how to find out, I'm happy to let you know.  It's running with a single nVidia graphics card at the moment - I wanted an SLI motherboard so I could upgrade more easily next year.  I think the graphics are phenomenal, but I don't know how much of that owes to the motherboard or what the nVidia chipset does.  I basically went to Novatech and said I wanted a Core 2 Duo processor and an SLI motherboard that would take it, and this is what they gave me.

Judging from pictures the Striker Extreme and your p5n32-e sli look very similar, but your momboard has the useless features such as backlighting, back LCD, esata, and the highquality capacitators where their not needed, although your board has the capless around the CPU still which is awesome.

Bok, how is your board running??? any news???

Myspace Website!

My rig

Running great so far, no SATA problems or nothing. Although yesterday I found that when I click on a certain person's myspace (just one person) Firefox freezes and I get a BSOD, it just happens on my computer too hmm.

Myspace does that to me too, i think it may be Firefox. although firefox only freezes closes on me. No BSOD at all.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

just found out my wife's box is generating HDD errors (which results in a failed winders startup sometimes). given that it is a relatively new HDD, i'm guessing the via chipset is the cause, i.e. bad mobo. i've got one more spot on the other controller i'm going to try to see if that solves the problem. if not, then it means NEW BOX FOR TAKS (and wifey-pooh gets my current box which is very stable).

i'm thinking e6400 combo with a P5W from ASUS... not sure about deluxe though, and i'm torn between that and the 680i chipset boards. i don't care about sli, however, so that's a vote for the P5W. if i keep the same vid card, HDD (250 GB seagate 7200.10) and case, i should be under $500 for mobo/CPU/mammaries. i'll worry about a new vid card when the 8800 line forces the 7900 line down in price (later this summer i'm guessing).

i'm not a huuuge gamer, other than the crpgs we all discuss in here anyway, so graphiques are not really my concern. i will be doing some rather intense matlab programming soon, (modelling satellite telemetry, comm links and radar), which will require some hefty processing and memory requirements, however.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

none of which are on my radar at the moment. i really do restrict my gaming to fantasy crpgs. occasionally i delve into other things, but not often (i bought, and disliked, both kotors, as well as the fallouts and even planescape). i am thinking about looking at some of the horror games that are out, however, which have rather steep GPU requirements IIRC.

any more i only have a few hours each week to game, so i have to pick my battles wisely. :blink:

taks

Looking nice Bok! No I haven't gotten the Case or Motherboard yet. This weekend Ill order them up though!

I am set on getting that case. I bought all the fans and i have my gear to organize the cables.

I just read reviews on the P5N SLI 650i Motherboard and their great supposedly! But i can get a eVGA Motherboard dirt cheap for 210 bucks. the eVGA makes me nervous because I've heard a lot of problems with it.

Myspace Website!

My rig

none of which are on my radar at the moment.  i really do restrict my gaming to fantasy crpgs.  occasionally i delve into other things, but not often (i bought, and disliked, both kotors, as well as the fallouts and even planescape).  i am thinking about looking at some of the horror games that are out, however, which have rather steep GPU requirements IIRC. 

any more i only have a few hours each week to game, so i have to pick my battles wisely. :huh:

Hmmm, if none of those whet your whistle, then I don't know what would temp you to DX10; surely the fantasy RPG isn't on the bleeding edge of graphics demands.

Still, I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy Alan Wake, and Bioshock is a SF FPS-with-RPG-elements (like System Shock).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Can any of the Windows gurus out there tell me about the number of processors supported for Windows XP Pro and Windows Vista (whatever similar version) ?

No fun in planning for a monster hardware if you have to run MacOS on it then... or being forced to install Windows Server 2003 in order to play Baldurs Gate :)

Does multicore (i.e. quad core) count as multiple processors for licensing purposes? I.e. if the OS allows two cpus, would that be two physical cpus or one dual core cpu?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

for licensing purposes? I.e. if the OS allows two cpus, would that be two physical cpus or one dual core cpu?

i doubt it. usually it is one user one workstation, even if there are multiple cores running. use linux instead, no licensing issues at all! :)

taks

Hmmm, if none of those whet your whistle, then I don't know what would temp you to DX10; surely the fantasy RPG isn't on the bleeding edge of graphics demands.

exactly why i'm happy with my 128 MB 6800 with extra pipes turned on...

dragon age will probably be more "cutting edge" than what's out today, but that's over a year out so graphics will be cheaper by then. i've considered FO3, but i wasn't a fan of the first two (only managed a few hours with each) and the bethesda style of rpging is not really to my taste. horror games are the latest thing to pique my interest, and they will require better graphics...

Still, I would be surprised if you didn't enjoy Alan Wake, and Bioshock is a SF FPS-with-RPG-elements (like System Shock).

what is alan wake about?

taks

Gamespot: Alan Wake is a psychological action thriller set in the American Northwest. The PC version is exclusive to the Windows Vista operating system.

made by Remedy, the developers of Max Payne..

the Gamespot website and the the official site.

and some screenshots:

post-5477-1167924277_thumb.jpg

post-5477-1167924287_thumb.jpg

post-5477-1167924296_thumb.jpg

post-5477-1167924694_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.