Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A New PC

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

I can't descrive any reason why they would charge that much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Descrive isn't even in my dictionary, is it a real word? Give me the truthiness!

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
If you look up other words, you may descry descrive in the roots.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Posted Image
The motherboard I have has some heat pipes, I'm wondering the correct fan placement i should have for optimal cooling performance.

So is it better to suck hot air out or blow air in?

Theres a total of 7 fans plus a power supply that blows air in.

The fan mounted on the top of the case should be blowing warm air out.
The fan in the front of the case blowing cold air in.
The fan in the back of the case blowing hot air out.
This leaves me with a huge wall of 4 fans built into the case to play with. What should i do? I'm thinking the left 2 pushing warm air out, and the right 2 blowing cold air in.

I heard a vacuum inside a vase can be bad so I was looking to balance it.

Any suggestions or tips? ;)

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
You need to balance the convection so that cooler air is drawn across every heated part. "Dirty" air, or rather hotter air, such as that from over the heatpipes, should be vented and not drawn across another part.

Spot fans might be needed for parts that get hot and don't have their own cooling, like the RAM on the GPU and the mobo.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

You need to balance the convection so that cooler air is drawn across every heated part. "Dirty" air, or rather hotter air, such as that from over the heatpipes, should be vented and not drawn across another part.

Spot fans might be needed for parts that get hot and don't have their own cooling, like the RAM on the GPU and the mobo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm, my reasoning for having the the 2 left fans sucking and the 2 right fans blowing were to have a swift moving or fresh air blowing to help cool and move the air while also getting it out of the case.

Do you think its better to have all 4 fans blowing out so the heat will dissipate quicker?

If so, then wouldn't this cause a vacuum in my case? Why would a vacuum be that bad anyway?

Having a spotcooler on my GPU where my RAM is might be an excellent idea since there is no cooler, or even a heat sink on the ram. Its from XFX, and its a 7900 Extreme Edition over clocked. Maybe i could add some heat sinks myself if it gets too hot...

EDIT: now that i look at my graphic card, i noticed a quick add of heatsinks may be more difficult then i thought since half of my memory chips are partially covered by the core cooling heatsink/fan. <_<

Edited by WITHTEETH, 10 December 2006 - 08:23 AM.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
It's pretty normal to have fans blowing out and sucking in air for the case.

Not sure about creating a vacuum; all you would achieve (with all the fans blowing out) is a low pressure in the case, which would actually be counter-productive for another, unrelated reason: it would suck dust into the case. Normally it is best to have a high pressure inside the case, to do the opposite. :lol:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

Posted Image
The motherboard I have has some heat pipes, I'm wondering the correct fan placement i should have for optimal cooling performance.

So is it better to suck hot air out or blow air in?

Theres a total of 7 fans plus a power supply that blows air in.

The fan mounted on the top of the case should be blowing warm air out.
The fan in the front of the case blowing cold air in.
The fan in the back of the case blowing hot air out.
This leaves me with a huge wall of 4 fans built into the case to play with. What should i do? I'm thinking the left 2 pushing warm air out, and the right 2 blowing cold air in.

I heard a vacuum inside a vase can be bad so I was looking to balance it.

Any suggestions or tips?  :mellow:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woohoo we will gots the same cases =]

I'm thinking that I'm going to add an accessory window to replace the standard door

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999760

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
I'm actually having a huge problem with dust in my system at the moment, Mets. And this isn't any normal dust we're talking about. It's that pressurized, compressed McNasty dust that attaches itself all over the mobo and other components. As with an unwelcomed date, I can get rid of it with a can of pressurized air but it just keeps coming back. =]

Edited by jaguars4ever, 10 December 2006 - 01:57 PM.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

I'm actually having a huge problem with dust in my system at the moment, Mets.  And this isn't any normal dust we're talking about.  It's that pressurized, compressed McNasty dust that attaches itself all over the mobo and other components.  As with an unwelcomed date, I can get rid of it with a can of pressurized air but it just keeps coming back.  =]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you have air filters for your air intake? If not you can make some yourself pretty easily.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Woohoo we will gots the same cases =]

I'm thinking that I'm going to add an accessory window to replace the standard door

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought this was interesting, It looks like a CM Stacker 830 knock-off doesn't it?
Clicky!!!

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

Woohoo we will gots the same cases ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought this was interesting, It looks like a CM Stacker 830 knock-off doesn't it?
Clicky!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:p

That big plastic fan makes the case look uber-cheap looking.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Bokishi, tell me how you end up arranging your fans if you don't get the window side panel!

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Is ur comp built yet?

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

Is ur comp built yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm waiting on the case to come in and also which motherboard to get ever since the review on the Striker extreme 680i

EDIT: It should be done shortly after new years :dancing:

Edited by WITHTEETH, 10 December 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Go for the EVGA 680i. I read lots of good reviews on it.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard. Has a lot of features, stable, even when over clocked, can over clock pretty well. Ill be ecstatic if I can get the FSB up to 400, and I've heard of much higher on this board. It has Wifi, great expansion/upgrade options, stable BIOS. And its much less then the previous striker extreme i wanted that was MSRP for $400. its listed for $226 at zipzoomfly.com

I feel this is the one. ;)

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

I'm actually having a huge problem with dust in my system at the moment, Mets.  And this isn't any normal dust we're talking about.  It's that pressurized, compressed McNasty dust that attaches itself all over the mobo and other components.  As with an unwelcomed date, I can get rid of it with a can of pressurized air but it just keeps coming back.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All you can do is filter the air intake and keep a higher pressure inside the case (to prevent air coming in, except when it is sucked in where it is meant to be).

You could move your PC to a clean room, and vacuum yourself every time you enter. :huh:)

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Changing the air filter to your house always helps the PC, and its good for the cats too! :rolleyes:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

You could move your PC to a clean room, and vacuum yourself every time you enter. -_-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah Jags, vacuum yourself and your hair. :blink:

taks

taks

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Changing the air filter to your house always helps the PC, and its good for the cats too!  :ermm:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what if i want my cats to swim with concrete booties?

taks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users