A New PC

Rosbjerg

There's no such thing as future-proofing in this hobby.  You'll get the same usual six months (or less) before the hardware is second best once again.

I'm not aiming to be on the top. That is hardly a cutting edge mobo.

I'm looking for one to two years of upgrade paths, whcih this board provides.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I heard some percentage of nForce 680i boards got some SATA issues. Crapz0r I hope I don't once again get a botched nvidia product.

new258nz8.jpg

Clicky!!!

Specifically they think its if one sets it up in RAID. THen the chipset will eventually corrupt your data - thus your windows install will be crap. Even scarier is they think it might be a hardware problem. And these are the reasons for all the 680i BSOD. So it might be worth a wait for a revision.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Im going to upgrade this Christmas aswell, I have to since my old desktop broke(chipset failiure).

I have everything under control except: Which is the best Motherboard/Chipset for Intel Core 2 Duo CPU's?

It should cost around $200, is the new nVidia NForce600 good? I was going for an intel based mobo until I saw it was just released

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes the new 680i motherboard is suppose to be great. it had some raid issues but it sounds like Nvidia fixed it right away with a bios update. Whats even better is that it has the upgrade option for CPU's that are coming out in late 2007 w/ FSB 1333. I haven't seen any other motherboards that will support 1333FSB besides the 680i. It overclocks like a mofo too. has 3 16XPCIE slots (a little insane). Seems to be the best board, especially for the enthusiast. Asus has a couple different versions and eVGA has a very good option too.

The P5B Deluxe P965 Mobo from ASUS sounds good too. It a good solid motherboard. It supports crossfire i believe. theres a version with built in WiFi. Overclocks well. Has rear panel SATA slots for easy access for Hard drives. The MAIN drawback is that it DOES NOT support a FSB of 1333 CPUs. Which limits your upgrading/performance options in the future. But it does have the new southbridge ISCH8(i think thats what its called) It helps organize the memory.

Theres also a gigabyte P965 DQ6 Mobo that kicks ass. Its basically just like the Asus one but adds a ridiculous 12 phase power design, and all solid state capacitators. Which explains why it overclocks so freaking well.

Tell me what you decide. I'm stuck between the P5B and the 680i Boards. i don't care to much about SLI slots, but upgrading options like the 1333FSB are tempting. But usually i just get an Intel chipset when i get an intel because their solid chipsets. The P5B has everything i want except the 1333FSB and it only $178 at Newegg right now.

Myspace Website!

My rig

I am so getting a 680i, withteeth do the same :lol:

Heres a chart i pulled up out from the internet showing the new Intel Chipsets that will come available throughout 2007.

bearlake1r1tpyspb1h1yln8.jpg

the X38 Chipset for performance users wont come out till 3rd quarter. That SUCKS.

Other ones will be coming out soon. I wish i knew the dates...

Myspace Website!

My rig

:) Sweet Jebus!

good to hear good to hear. Can you toush your N and S bridge and tell me if their hot? I heard they run very hot. Are their any features you like in paticular about eVGA's 680i Momboard?

What RAM did you choose? Are you going to OC your CPU FSB? :aiee:

I might get the P5N32-E SLI instead of the eVGA, both are 680i and i will get a 680i momboard definitely.

Myspace Website!

My rig

:)  Sweet Jebus!

good to hear good to hear. Can you toush your N and S bridge and tell me if their hot? I heard they run very hot. Are their any features you like in paticular about eVGA's 680i Momboard?

What RAM did you choose? Are you going to OC your CPU FSB?  :aiee:

I might get the P5N32-E SLI instead of the eVGA, both are 680i and i will get a 680i momboard definitely.

Yeah I got teh Corsair Dominator PC2 6400. All I like about the 680i is its Core 2 compatibility and its option for SLi as well as a 3-card configuration in the future. And I'll prolly OC my conroe once I get an uber-cooler. I hear with a really good cooler, you might be able to OC to 4.1 GHZ :aiee:

Ive just made the order for my upgrade! As with last time, this is sort of an emergency upgrade since my old hardware broke completely.

• Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB
  • Asus P5B-E PLUS, iP965, Socket-775
  • TwinMOS DDR2 PC4200 2048MB Dual Pack KIT

Since there are no midrange Nforce680 available yet, that was not an option. You might think I was cheap in getting PC4200 RAM but C2D processors with FBS 1066MHZ are actually faster with that RAM

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thats a good solid board, its just for the Euro market though. Asus just announced a simlar board called Asus Commando! Its basically the striker but with a P965 chipset in it. Im sure theyve found a way to make it cost about a $600. I still can't get over the $400 striker mobo! What a monstrosity. That price is not justifiable with what you get. Who the F cares about lights that much! And all that copper is a bit much too. hmmph.

Myspace Website!

My rig

For all you guys waiting to build your new monster, just remember that Nvidia are getting some high level competition just after New Year's Eve. Apparently ATI will release one of their first R600 cards in January, but the big beast will come in February when Vista launches.

"The published results are very promising with AMD

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!