A New PC

Rosbjerg

samurai's list is pretty good, though i'd still opt for the E6400 as it is only $40 or so more expensive.

kroney, you're saying essentially the same thing i'm saying.  any upgrades to older architectures are obsolete in the very near future (RAM and CPU in particular) while providing very little benefit.  a dual core AMD, for example, will net you the 4x00+ performance gain for sure, but the extra core does very little unless you're multitasking.  the new architecture route, however, requires changing half a dozen components and quickly gets spensive.

yes, mammaries, btw.  i have them on the mind at the moment.  :p

taks

Yeah, I'm agreeing. It's not an especially pleasant position to be in. Need to upgrade but can only upgrade to stuff that'll last maybe six months before depositing you right back to where you started.

And so do I.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

The mobos at the moment are just too "patched" ... even the Intel-compatible ones haven't all standardized on the new standards (details escape me at the moment, the 975X chipset thinggie (Northbridge interface?): some mobos use the 965X, and are faster).

which is what bums me out about the decline of AMD. they're using the HT interface, removing the bridges, and it is incredibly fast (and reliable). they just need to get their cores up to snuff. from what i've seen of their roadmap, nothing major is planned other than more cores per chip.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The mobos at the moment are just too "patched" ... even the Intel-compatible ones haven't all standardized on the new standards (details escape me at the moment, the 975X chipset thinggie (Northbridge interface?): some mobos use the 965X, and are faster).

which is what bums me out about the decline of AMD. they're using the HT interface, removing the bridges, and it is incredibly fast (and reliable). they just need to get their cores up to snuff. from what i've seen of their roadmap, nothing major is planned other than more cores per chip.

taks

The whole mobo situation reminds me of the X1800 debacle ... I fully expect it to be rectified really soon (now that the latest Intel platform is out).

Also, rumour has it that AMD might be exaggerating their current CPU woes ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I guess I'm joining the bandwagon of those who are considering building a new system...

I need something that is a) fast and 2) stable.

I've had a look at the new quad core technology and searched around a bit to see if there were any motherboards around that would support dual processors with quad core cpus (i.e. for a total of 8 cores) but couldn't really find any. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places.

I've got some applications that are optimised for multiprocessor environments, so I would (I assume) benefit from multiple cores.

Since I would like to use the machine for gaming as well, what is the current most bang for the buck gfx cards out there? I've only ever used first matrox then nvidia cards. I've never really had any issues ever with compatibility, neither with games nor with opengl compliance for the gfx software. ATI has a more dubious reputation with it's drivers...

Will Windows XP Professional handle the multiple cores/cpus or is that server OS territory only?

I'm so *not* going to buy into the Windows Vista thing :ph34r:

Oh, and I won't need it before March, 2007, so if there is some new technology on the doorstep of 2007, so much the better.

Any recommendations what to look/search for, pretending that price doesn't matter ?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I was going to get the 680i striker extreme by asus, but HARDOCP gave it a terrible review. Chipset runs hot, cpus run 5-10F higher, cant overclock past 400FSB

What is the stock setting FSB for this striker? And what does 400FSB equal in mhz for the cpu, anyone know?

Seems like a revision is in order, it may be due to the bios, but if its a hardware problem then I'm going to get some other chipset, any good 975X, whats the top of the line anyone know, im looking for overclockability, stability.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I'm using a motherboard based of the 975X. It's an Abit AW9D-MAX and it's easily the best motherboard I've ever owned. It was designed from the ground up for overclocking, and uses solid state capacitors and other high level stuff. I've been playing around with it since I got it and overclocking is extremely easy on it. I've had it up to 3.4 GHz stable on the stock air cooler! I've been up to 3.6 GHz but I didn't dare to keep it there until I've gotten hold of a more efficient cooler.

I think I'm in love with my motherboard :o

A bit pricey though.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think that was the top-of-the-line mobo before the Asus took the crown (in Custom PC's view); certainly not a bad mobo at all. :o

I think the better availabilty of PCI-e slots was a big factor, as well as the fact that the Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi-AP allowed Core 2 Duo E6700 from 266MHz to 360MHz (the highest the magazine team had seen).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm using a motherboard based of the 975X. It's an Abit AW9D-MAX and it's easily the best motherboard I've ever owned. It was designed from the ground up for overclocking, and uses solid state capacitors and other high level stuff. I've been playing around with it since I got it and overclocking is extremely easy on it. I've had it up to 3.4 GHz stable on the stock air cooler! I've been up to 3.6 GHz but  I didn't dare to keep it there until I've gotten hold of a more efficient cooler.

I think I'm in love with my motherboard :)

A bit pricey though.

I've noticed a lot of people are getting this board. I'll have to check this and the one meta mentioned. I just bought a wifi card though so if i were to get the wifi mobo id feel i wasted 50 bucks... then again the mobo i was about to get cost 320! :)

mkreku, will it support core 2 quad? how do you feel about the expansion slot options?

edit: i noticed the abit has solid state capacitors, reset button, and overclocks pretty well. My only question is, are these 975x mobos able to have the higher FSB of 1333 when the time comes? Is it just an update they would give to the bios? :o

EDIT: EDIT: Do you guys think that all this passive cooling stuff is a waste of money when they could add a fan and call it good. You need a fan anyway if you are going to use water blocks to get some kind of air flow anyway right? Not that im using water.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

coolermaster_stacker830_9.JPG

The motherboard I have has some heat pipes, I'm wondering the correct fan placement i should have for optimal cooling performance.

So is it better to suck hot air out or blow air in?

Theres a total of 7 fans plus a power supply that blows air in.

The fan mounted on the top of the case should be blowing warm air out.

The fan in the front of the case blowing cold air in.

The fan in the back of the case blowing hot air out.

This leaves me with a huge wall of 4 fans built into the case to play with. What should i do? I'm thinking the left 2 pushing warm air out, and the right 2 blowing cold air in.

I heard a vacuum inside a vase can be bad so I was looking to balance it.

Any suggestions or tips? ;)

Myspace Website!

My rig

You need to balance the convection so that cooler air is drawn across every heated part. "Dirty" air, or rather hotter air, such as that from over the heatpipes, should be vented and not drawn across another part.

Spot fans might be needed for parts that get hot and don't have their own cooling, like the RAM on the GPU and the mobo.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You need to balance the convection so that cooler air is drawn across every heated part. "Dirty" air, or rather hotter air, such as that from over the heatpipes, should be vented and not drawn across another part.

Spot fans might be needed for parts that get hot and don't have their own cooling, like the RAM on the GPU and the mobo.

Hmmm, my reasoning for having the the 2 left fans sucking and the 2 right fans blowing were to have a swift moving or fresh air blowing to help cool and move the air while also getting it out of the case.

Do you think its better to have all 4 fans blowing out so the heat will dissipate quicker?

If so, then wouldn't this cause a vacuum in my case? Why would a vacuum be that bad anyway?

Having a spotcooler on my GPU where my RAM is might be an excellent idea since there is no cooler, or even a heat sink on the ram. Its from XFX, and its a 7900 Extreme Edition over clocked. Maybe i could add some heat sinks myself if it gets too hot...

EDIT: now that i look at my graphic card, i noticed a quick add of heatsinks may be more difficult then i thought since half of my memory chips are partially covered by the core cooling heatsink/fan. <_<

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

It's pretty normal to have fans blowing out and sucking in air for the case.

Not sure about creating a vacuum; all you would achieve (with all the fans blowing out) is a low pressure in the case, which would actually be counter-productive for another, unrelated reason: it would suck dust into the case. Normally it is best to have a high pressure inside the case, to do the opposite. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

coolermaster_stacker830_9.JPG

The motherboard I have has some heat pipes, I'm wondering the correct fan placement i should have for optimal cooling performance.

So is it better to suck hot air out or blow air in?

Theres a total of 7 fans plus a power supply that blows air in.

The fan mounted on the top of the case should be blowing warm air out.

The fan in the front of the case blowing cold air in.

The fan in the back of the case blowing hot air out.

This leaves me with a huge wall of 4 fans built into the case to play with. What should i do? I'm thinking the left 2 pushing warm air out, and the right 2 blowing cold air in.

I heard a vacuum inside a vase can be bad so I was looking to balance it.

Any suggestions or tips?  :mellow:

Woohoo we will gots the same cases =]

I'm thinking that I'm going to add an accessory window to replace the standard door

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811999760

I'm actually having a huge problem with dust in my system at the moment, Mets. And this isn't any normal dust we're talking about. It's that pressurized, compressed McNasty dust that attaches itself all over the mobo and other components. As with an unwelcomed date, I can get rid of it with a can of pressurized air but it just keeps coming back. =]

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

I'm actually having a huge problem with dust in my system at the moment, Mets.  And this isn't any normal dust we're talking about.  It's that pressurized, compressed McNasty dust that attaches itself all over the mobo and other components.  As with an unwelcomed date, I can get rid of it with a can of pressurized air but it just keeps coming back.  =]

Do you have air filters for your air intake? If not you can make some yourself pretty easily.

Myspace Website!

My rig

Woohoo we will gots the same cases =]

I'm thinking that I'm going to add an accessory window to replace the standard door

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811999760

I thought this was interesting, It looks like a CM Stacker 830 knock-off doesn't it?

Clicky!!!

Myspace Website!

My rig