performance issues

ok, so i just picked up a toshiba Qosmio g35-av600. it has a 1.83 core duo, 1 gig memory and a geforce go 7300. i installed KOTOR and KOTOR 2 so i could play them where ever i was, but when i ran them, they both ran so poorly i couldn't barely get past the main screen. i tried turning the setting all the way down and that did nothing. i know it's not entirely the games fault because i can play Civ 4 at 1440x900 with high graphical settings w/ little or not hesitation at all.

sometimes it is so bad that, in TSL for example, when the third screen comes up before the main menu (the one with malak and others that i usually click through), that image stays up on the screen instead of showing the main menu. i can move the cursor around and hear the beeps when i put it over one of the buttons, but the screen still doesn't load.

has anyone had this issue before?

any suggestions for what to do?

Edited by Spidy

Make sure you're maximizing the amount of memory that your VGA is able to share with your system (the settings are most likely in your BIOS).

The 7300 is a miserable graphics card, and not really suited to 3D applications at all (but it should be able to deliver playable framerates at bare minimum quality settings).

Why don't you just buy an Xbox and play 'em?? You won't have any problems then. <_<

Eh, that's a good idea, but for people who like me, the hard core PC user, I doubt that will work.

Make sure you're maximizing the amount of memory that your VGA is able to share with your system (the settings are most likely in your BIOS).

The 7300 is a miserable graphics card, and not really suited to 3D applications at all (but it should be able to deliver playable framerates at bare minimum quality settings).

I agree, 7300 is not a good card. Besides, all good cards on notebook are not as good as on desktop. Except the notebook is special made, or very few of them can handle games, especially graphic consuming games.

Mods and Team Ginza... :aiee:"

Eh, I believe mods had nothing to do with this--My friend has lots of mods on the KOTOR 2, and he never complained his graphic card compromised.

I believe it's Team Gizka, not Team Ginza. (No hard feelings I hope.)

csicoruscantek4.jpgcsinarshaddaale5.jpg

| RP Fic: Knightfall | RP: Knightfall: The duel between Light and Dark |

Savoir, conqueror, hero, villian...You're all those things...--Emperor Skywalker to CSI, redeemed Darth Nihilus.

Why don't you just buy an Xbox and play 'em?? You won't have any problems then. <_<

LOL - except that people with an XBox360 report performance issues as well.

Eh, news for me. I don't know anything about X-Box, so I have no answer to this...But it's new to hear that even console has performance problem.

Savoir, conqueror, hero, villian...You're all those things...--Emperor Skywalker to CSI, redeemed Darth Nihilus.

Why turn off second core? My computer is dual-core too, which works perfectly fine...

But the problem is I haven't test it on my laptop yet...I simply turned off all sounds.

BTW, do you have any ATI Catalyst Driver? If yes, then add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" [Of course without quotation marks] under "Graphics Options" which usually helps.

Edited by CSI: Nihilus

• 5 weeks later...
ok, so i just picked up a toshiba Qosmio g35-av600. it has a 1.83 core duo, 1 gig memory and a geforce go 7300. i installed KOTOR and KOTOR 2 so i could play them where ever i was, but when i ran them, they both ran so poorly i couldn't barely get past the main screen. i tried turning the setting all the way down and that did nothing. i know it's not entirely the games fault because i can play Civ 4 at 1440x900 with high graphical settings w/ little or not hesitation at all.

sometimes it is so bad that, in TSL for example, when the third screen comes up before the main menu (the one with malak and others that i usually click through), that image stays up on the screen instead of showing the main menu. i can move the cursor around and hear the beeps when i put it over one of the buttons, but the screen still doesn't load.

has anyone had this issue before?

any suggestions for what to do?

KOTOR and toshiba don't seem to get along, i have a satelite M55-S135 and I get the start screen right after clicking on the Icon, but then when I click on "game" the whole thing mimimizes to the desktop at a different resolution, I have tried everything and I meet all requirements and half of the reccomended. Toshiba just dosen't like KOTOR i guess...

Try increasing your virtual memory that way when your system runs out of memory it uses up Hard Drive space instead of making your System a dead-zombie :)

Right click my Computer>Advanced Tab>Settings(for Performance)>Advanced>Virtual Memory(Change)

For example i set mine to 3gb you could set your's to about 2...........

If that doesn't work i highly suggest you rei-install the games,then see if you have updated your drivers to to latest version.

After that i highly suggest you Defragment your Hard-Drive......it may take a while based on how big it is.

But it's well worth it and it will feel like you just installed a new copy of Windows :)

Edited by ChaosWolfX

Eh, I believe mods had nothing to do with this--My friend has lots of mods on the KOTOR 2, and he never complained his graphic card compromised.

I believe it's Team Gizka, not Team Ginza. (No hard feelings I hope.)

That was an answer to the "why would anyone buy Kot0R II for the PC" question... :)"

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Why turn off second core? My computer is dual-core too, which works perfectly fine...

But the problem is I haven't test it on my laptop yet...I simply turned off all sounds.

BTW, do you have any ATI Catalyst Driver? If yes, then add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" [Of course without quotation marks] under "Graphics Options" which usually helps.

thanks that actually fixed my problem also

thanks that actually fixed my problem also

No problem. It's good to hear your problem is solved.