What books are you reading these days?

Oracle of Mythos

You lucky bastard.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

You schmuck. :)

Heja Sverige!!

Gibran, Kahlil. Tears & Laughter

Borg, Marcus et. al. the emerging Christian Way

I really enjoyed Foucault's Pendulum ... but then I have enjoyed most of Eco's work ...

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Alastair Reynold's Redemption Arc, a grandious space opera of lovely dystopian fame.

After finishing that, I'll get around to Bill Bryson's Notes from a Big Country, which I expect to adore just like his previous book.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Then why post?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Catcher in the Rye but I want to be reading the Outsiders.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I am actually reading The War of Souls (Dragonlance trilogy from weis and hickman). Those books are absolutely great! I cant believe I am almost through volume three, since each book has at least 600 pages. It approximately took me one month per volume. The story is very pleasant and intriguing, the characters are very charismatic and not uber powerful (like in salvatore's novels). I also like the narrative style which consists of telling the story of a different character or group of characters in each chapter: that adds to the suspense and is not at all annoying. The Dragonlance setting is rather good, I wonder why WotC dropped it...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

War of Souls is crap. Actually, everything, except the Doom Brigade, written after Brothers in Arms is crap by default.

kirottu said:

Why do you say that? Explain your thought please... I did like the trilogy though

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Because after Brothers in Arms, Weis and Hickman sold out in major way. Their other series(like the grandiose Death Gate) were unaffected, but Dragonlance became like one long teen angst fantasy. With the worst comic relief character ever, Tasslehoff.

kirottu said:

in the last couple of months:

Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)

Communist Manifesto (Marx and Engels)

Common Sense (Thomas Paine)

Thomas Paine's The Rights of Man (Christopher Hitchens)

On the Suffering of the World (Arthur Schopenhauer)

Teach Yourself Jung (as tangential background information for another book I am currently reading: The Seven Basic Plots (Christopher Booker))

An Attack on an Enemy of Freedom (Cicero).

I have a subscription to New Scientist and Scientific American

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Currently reading Cesar's Way, by Cesar Milan. It is a MUST read if you own dogs!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just finished "The Bourne Identity" and I was really surprised how far away from the movie it was. It was a solid spy thriller and I'll probably pick up the rest of the trilogy.

I'm also reading Eragon, on loan from my school library. Some people were trashing it in another thread and I gotta say, they aren't getting it. This book was written by a 15 year old, so of course it's not a work of art, but the amazing thing is that it's very readable. And it's readable for a pre-teen audience, which is harder to do than you may think. Writing at the JK Rowling/CS Lewis level is an art in itself. You have to keep vocabulary and complexities at a certain level, which can be very difficult for someone who's entire life is devoted to literature.

This 15 year old kid did an amazing job of creating a readable story that isn't to far above or below young readers. That's quite an accomplishment.

But the bits of Eragon I've read were horrifyingly written. I mean, it's not even competent. And besides there's plenty of books written for pre-teen audiences that aren't so awfully written as Eragon. Also, the whole story seems to have been lifted from Star Wars.

Of course, because the book is so bad, it makes it kind of pointless to criticize it in any serious manner.

Heja Sverige!!