If your country drafts you for a war...

Eddo36

If they brought back the draft, before I got called, I'd join the Air Force.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Make sure you learn your maths or languages and get assigned rear echelon roles.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd rather join the Spartans. :)

halo800_2.jpg

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Your recruitment age wooshed past a decade ago.

And no one really likes intense psychotheraphy and bone-augmentation.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Why bring up Nazi Germany? That war has been done and over with for 50 years. Those who fought it, on either side, are old and on the verge of passing on. There is no reason to bring up old wounds.

As for the draft I would be against it. I believe that an army of volunteers, those who seek to fight and seek to train to fight, are better equip to handle the rigors of combat and the extreme situations that it brings than someone who is forced to fight against their will. If my government brought back the draft I would be very much against it and if they tried to draft me I would refuse.

In fact I would bring arms against my country if they seek to bring back the draft and limit our freedoms even more than they already have.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Thankfully, I am now too old to be drafted under the current selective service law.

That said, education is a great way to ensure that you get a military position well outside the range of enemy fire. If drafted, I would go (refusal would probably ruin my career) and count on that to keep me safe. Then again, my current boss was a reservist in the Army JAG corps a few years back, and was called up and sent to Iraq to handle legal disputes with contractors. So nothing is guaranteed.

Your recruitment age wooshed past a decade ago.

And no one really likes intense psychotheraphy and bone-augmentation.

In an ideal world, my fellow forumite, in an ideal world... :'(

And who doesn't like those things, or the inherent badassness that comes from surviving training? ^_^

Ok, fine, I'll settle for the ODST corps.

normal_ODST.jpg

Although, being encased in a metal casket, hurtling through a planet's atmoshphere with a strong possiblity that its breaking mechanisms might malfunction does sound a little disconcerting. Then again, I get sweet armor and weaponry....decisions.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Helljumpers :brows: "Feet first into the fire"

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Make sure you learn your maths or languages and get assigned rear echelon roles.

No difference, if you push paper around to get somebody killed, you're still part of the system of the killing machine. Blood is still on your hands.

If you choose refusing, you'll be executed and others will look upon you in shame.

Ok, so refusing to go off and murder innocent women and children and taking a stand against injustice and dying for your beliefs would cause people to look upon you in shame?

:brows:

If it's the popular belief of everyone else in the country at that time, then yes it would cause people to look upon you not only in shame, but a coward.

If I were drafted, I would serve my country to the best of my ability. I wouldn't line up civilians and slaughter them, but I am not naive to the realities of war. If one is not willing to fight for one's country, well, there are a lot of countries out there. Choose another one.

I'm deadly serious. When a country is at war, real war, its citizens shouldn't have the luxury of deciding whether they will participate or just take the benefits that others will bestow upon them through their own sacrifice. I hate the Iraq war. I believe it to be a massive mistake. Yet people I care about are serving there, and doing their level best to perform their duties, whether those duties are trying to enforce security in the midst of chaos (yes, yes, a chaos that wouldn't exist if they hadn't been sent there in the first place, but that is a discussion for another thread) or rebuilding schools and hospitals and trying to get decent water and electricity to ALL of Iraq, not just the Baathist areas in and around Baghdad, which was the only place Saddam offered these nice little perks of civilization.

Maybe it's old school, but JFK was right. People who only take the good stuff from their country without being willing to give back to it, whether they refuse to give back under the guise of "personal morals" or just plain lazy selfishness, should find another country, one that they care enough about to be part of society rather than just a drain on it.

If I was to be executed if I refused the draft then I would of course join, unless I could somehow flee the country. And if I did join, I would desert at the first opportunity to do so.

Sacrificing your life or murdering other people for a cause you dont believe in is complete madness. Very often its madness if you do believe in it aswell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If I were drafted, I would serve my country to the best of my ability.  I wouldn't line up civilians and slaughter them, but I am not naive to the realities of war.  If one is not willing to fight for one's country, well, there are a lot of countries out there.  Choose another one.

I'm deadly serious.  When a country is at war, real war, its citizens shouldn't have the luxury of deciding whether they will participate or just take the benefits that others will bestow upon them through their own sacrifice.  I hate the Iraq war.  I believe it to be a massive mistake.  Yet people I care about are serving there, and doing their level best to perform their duties, whether those duties are trying to enforce security in the midst of chaos (yes, yes, a chaos that wouldn't exist if they hadn't been sent there in the first place, but that is a discussion for another thread) or rebuilding schools and hospitals and trying to get decent water and electricity to ALL of Iraq, not just the Baathist areas in and around Baghdad, which was the only place Saddam offered these nice little perks of civilization.

Maybe it's old school, but JFK was right.  People who only take the good stuff from their country without being willing to give back to it, whether they refuse to give back under the guise of "personal morals" or just plain lazy selfishness, should find another country, one that they care enough about to be part of society rather than just a drain on it.

Right. In an ideal world where forced service breeds the best possible fighters.

Ask people in the military, I know a few. The general consensus, that I've seen and heard, is that they don't want a draft. It makes for poor soldiers, poor morale, and a considerable increase in mortality rates, not just my virtue of there being more people there to die, but more inexperience, and less ability to actually perform.

Who would you want beside you in that fox hole? A drafted soldier who's too scared to move and wishes nothing more than to NOT be there, or a volunteer who's devoted his time and life to the service, keeps his head down, and knows what he's doing.

There's a reason most who go into boot camp don't become soldiers. They're deemed incapable of performing up to the exceptional standards of our armed forces.

These people are truly the cream of the crop. Throwing someone like me in there would lead to my death and possibly that of other soldiers.

- Everlast

Er, you seem to be under the impression that I am in favor of reinstating the draft. I'm not, not unless it was a matter of our country's survival, as it was in WW2.

The question was not whether I was in favor of reinstating the draft; the question was simply that if there was a draft and I was drafted, would I serve. And I would.

Mostly focusing on the "I'm deadly serious. When a country is at war, real war, its citizens shouldn't have the luxury of deciding whether they will participate or just take the benefits that others will bestow upon them through their own sacrifice." part.

Took it as relating to the primary subject matter, the draft, or just took it upon myself to relate it then make what I thought was a valid point.

I was wrong. :)

Edit: Quoted the wrong damn line. ;)

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Out of curiosity, I searched how many countries have mandatory drafts. There are, according to this site , nearly 50 nations where military service is compulsory, including most nations south of the USA, lots of African and Middle East nations (not surprisingly), Asia and more than I would have though in Europe.

Just a bit of topic-related trivia. Carry on! :)

Edited by ~Di

I don't see why people should feel obligated to serve in a war they feel is imoral. A lot of people fled to Canada or Europe during Vietnam, and considering that the whole enterprise was a monumental failure I don't see how serving out of a sense of possibly misguided loyalty is better than refusing.

A war where litterally everything is at stake like ww2 is another matter.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Again, there is no draft on the horizon in the US, so this is all just talk, but I really liked what ~Di said. People fail to see the people through the politics when we are dealing with Iraq and Vietnam. They are unpopular wars, but jumping off a carrier isn't going to stop it from getting to its destination. Also, complaining about isn't going to change anything either.

If you really want to stop the Iraq war, figure out how to end sectarian violence and bridge the gap between Muslim countries and the Western world. So many people spend all their time complaining about our very presence in Iraq, but the fact is if we pull out completely, things will likely get worse.

People love to complain about stuff, but not enough people are willing to work towards change. The avenues are available. Educate yourself, find like minded people, and institute change. The tricky part is keeping an open mind during the process and not closing yourself off to other options. That's how you get extremists and violence.

I'm not worried about any draft, being 30 something has its benefits.

A few years ago, the patriotic side of me would have accepted being drafted. It's the duty of a citizen to serve their country. But now with some wisdom gained and not being a blind patriot, I refuse to go fight and die for a bunch of clowns sitting in Washington. They want to cause an unjust war to happen, they go fight it, not I.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I refuse to go fight and die for a bunch of clowns sitting in Washington. They want to cause an unjust war to happen, they go fight it, not I.

.. only, they e

I think thats a healthy attitude. People can go on about serving your country but all in all, its about doing the bidding of a bunch of suits that are only in it for the money. And duty, honour etc. are just constructions to persuade you to do it.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Wait, since when could women be drafted in the US?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.