Why wii? why have thou done this to me?

ramza

If someone posted this, I missed it...

I'm not surprised you missed it, it's only the first post.

Agreed. Including making faulty products.

I'm pretty sure users with glandular problems being hopelessly retarded while swinging the controller about like a monkey isn't covered by manufactural fault. Hmm, and as the world hasn't yet been flooded with the cacophonic din of a million snapped wristbands and shattered televisions, I'm going with this being squarely in user error.

Now, if only there were products which covered these people's special needs.

Gamers grips have grown weak from their soft dual shock controllers

Makes one long for the days of the NES. Now there was a controller. All those sharp edges on everything. Guaranteed to give you blisters before you managed to tear yourself away. :dancing:

After a long hiatus from Nintendo a while ago, the controller felt nigh unusable. It was just so small.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

• 3 weeks later...

Here we go, a class action lawsuit filed against Nintendo.

SAN FRANCISCO -- Nintendo has announced a replacement program for the defective Wii remote wrist straps. Nintendo's announcement follows the December 6, 2006 class action filed in federal district court in Seattle, Washington which requests that the defective parts be replaced. It also follows about a month of increasing reports posted on the internet of damage and injuries resulting from the defective strap. Green Welling LLP, of San Francisco, California along with Siebken & Siegele of Austin, Texas and Short, Cressman & Burgess of Seattle, Washington, filed the nationwide class action lawsuit on behalf of the owners of the Nintendo Wii against Nintendo of America, Inc., in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.

The Nintendo Wii game console includes a remote and a wrist strap for the remote. Owners of the Nintendo Wii reported that when they used the Nintendo remote and wrist strap, as instructed by the material that accompanied the Wii console, the wrist strap broke and caused the remote to leave the user

Nintendo has already admitted to being at fault for the wii remote accidents so while I dislike frivilous lawsuits depending on the individuals being represented; this case h as merits.

You nsimply should not sell defective products that cna cause damage either to property or people and not expect to be appropriately published under the law for it. I'd have to know the specifcs of this case before judging this specifc case.

Period.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"People throwing their Wii remote straight into the TV have no less knowledge than people putting their cats or little babies into microwaves"

Yeah. The same thing. Yeah.

Wii has admitted that it is their fasult. They have admitted culpibility. Theys crewed up, and wer ehonest about it. Thye forgot the best word of advice in these situations when you make a major screw up - "Deny. Deny. Deny."

Microwaves that are used to commit heinous acts like you suggest are not the fault of the micromakers because sad as it is; it is the job of the MW to cook stuff.

People ar eusing the Wii remote as advertised, and the unsafe role/attachment/whatever snaps. That's faulty craftsmanship. And, Nintendo admits it.

Period.

They're admitting the fault because otherwise they'd just have to face another stupidly and outrageous lawsuit. But that's not an excuse for the users stupidity to just use the strap properly like anyone else does.

Edit: LOL, now I read some posts above and I see somebody already filed a lawsuit against Nintendo.

Edited by Morgoth

Nope. It doesn't matter how many people it happened to. btw, I'm not even sure Wii has a million buyers yet - at leats not much more than that - so, your threshold is obviously silly.

The bottom line is Nintendo made a product. It's faulty which leads it to breaking while people use the product in one of the ways it was advertised. This lead to accidents. Nintendo admits their craftsmanship was faulty which led to the snappage which lead to the accidents. They are very much liable.

Now, if you can prove that actual user error was at least partially at fault then some of the blame needs to be shared and Nintendo's burdern of restitution will likely get lowered; but not cleared completely.

btw, I'm not saying people should sue for billions of dollars. I think getting a replacement for the remote and any damage to other applaices should be enough to satisfy people. Or pay medical bills if any. There's no need to be greedy even though Nintendo is at fault.

Edited by Volourn

As long as Nintendo pays for the remote and the damages done, no more and no less, then all is good. I have to agree on Volourn on this one.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, I wouldn't say that, but it is Nintendo's idea to go for the more unorthodox controller yet failed to realize that some people really get into their games. They should have foreseen this sort of thing happening.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

As long as Nintendo pays for the remote and the damages done, no more and no less, then all is good.  I have to agree on Volourn on this one.

Sounds rational and agreeable, but in reality this hardly works. Usually it's more like that the manufactorer has to pay billions to the poor and deeply injured subject.

Edited by Morgoth

If I got a Wii and this happened to me all I would ask for is a new television of similar make and model I had before and a new remote. I don't see the point of being greedy.

Oh, I am greedy, but I rather fulfill my greed on my own merits than that of a lawsuit.