Canada Parliament recognizes Quebecers as a nation

kumquatq3

I'm still sore about the bet I made with one of the cooks at work in '03 when the Flames beat the canucks and I was out a case of beer.

Just one? And you call yourself a Canadian.

bah... In russia the beer bets YOU!

In russia they also bet four bottles of good vodka.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm 99% sure that the French find the Quebecers silly. Much in the same way that the Irish do Irish-Americans.

The Old World tends to view New Worlders hanging onto a past that isn't really theirs in a rather antipathetic light.

This sort of thing's not unusual, though. Three out of the four nations in the UK have a healthy seperatist movement. The net result of declaring independance would be the same. Economic collapse in short order. I can easily see that it would also be the case for Quebec.

The girlfriend's Nova Scotian, incidentally, that's why I'm replying. I hear a lot of this stuff off her.

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I'm 99% sure that the French find the Quebecers silly. Much in the same way that the Irish do Irish-Americans.

The Old World tends to view New Worlders hanging onto a past that isn't really theirs in a rather antipathetic light.

This sort of thing's not unusual, though. Three out of the four nations in the UK have a healthy seperatist movement. The net result of declaring independance would be the same. Economic collapse in short order. I can easily see that it would also be the case for Quebec.

The girlfriend's Nova Scotian, incidentally, that's why I'm replying. I hear a lot of this stuff off her.

Good points.

Were the Irish colonising America at one point, as the French were colonising it?

French-Canadians exist because France, as a condition for a peace treaty with England some 200 years ago(don't remember the year), had to concede its colonies on the new continent to the English.

The English, instead of eradicating the French that had been living in eastern Canada, allowed them to live and keep some of the traditions and ways of living, such as their religion(they could've imposed Protestantism but didn't).

I don't think France thinks of us as silly, more likely they don't care. They moved on with their history but we seem to still be living in the past, holding very old grudges against our conquerers, which I believe to be completely pointless.

Anyway, looky here!

Good points.

Were the Irish colonising America at one point, as the French were colonising it?

French-Canadians exist because France, as a condition for a peace treaty with England some 200 years ago(don't remember the year), had to concede its colonies on the new continent to the English.

The English, instead of eradicating the French that had been living in eastern Canada, allowed them to live and keep some of the traditions and ways of living, such as their religion(they could've imposed Protestantism but didn't).

I don't think France thinks of us as silly, more likely they don't care. They moved on with their history but we seem to still be living in the past, holding very old grudges against our conquerers, which I believe to be completely pointless.

Anyway, looky here!

No, the Irish never had colonies, they did have a bit of a diaspora to the colonies during the potato famine, though. I'm referring more to the habit/desire/whatever of former colonials to try and hang onto a past that isn't really theirs anymore and the European attitude to it. If some American told me he was English because his great, great maternal grandfather came from Shropshire I'd say "yeah, whatever you say mate" and walk off. The same goes for the French.

In fact, I'm not certain, but I'd be willing to believe that the French attitude to Quebec is pretty similar to the general English attitude to the US. Faint guilt, stronger embarrasment and even stronger dislike of the way they've mangled the language.

As I understand it, a lot of the nationalism grows out of Quebecois resentment over being ruled by an English-derived Government. There's always been simmering dislike in Quebec over being dominated by England, much in the same way as there has been in Wales. Or anywhere else, really. The trouble with nationalism in this context is the rather blinkered attitude they tend to have. Does Quebec have any *serious* idea of how they'd survive as an independant nation? Probably not. I suspect they probably think they'd still get subsidies from the Canadian Government.

FYI, I'm pretty up on British history, including her colonies. There was earlier mention of Spanish involvment in Florida being relatively recent. It's not, Florida was another colony we stole from the French. Before that it was Spanish.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

I'm from Quebec, but I don't think anyone remotely cares.

The whole thing is a joke, anyway.

A joke that will destroy your country!

Quebec doesn't have any of Canada's oil reserves, right?

If not, let em leave.

No, they have our supply of beer and hookers though. :lol:

Ya but they're french. And women that smoke is a turn off to me.

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

As I understand it, a lot of the nationalism grows out of Quebecois resentment over being ruled by an English-derived Government. There's always been simmering dislike in Quebec over being dominated by England...

The funny thing is, Quebec has provided most of our political leaders. They have run the government for a good portion of its history.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

As I understand it, a lot of the nationalism grows out of Quebecois resentment over being ruled by an English-derived Government. There's always been simmering dislike in Quebec over being dominated by England...

The funny thing is, Quebec has provided most of our political leaders. They have run the government for a good portion of its history.

Same with the UK and the Scots. Westminster is full of them.

Dirty deeds done cheap.