Anyone watch SG1 or SG Atlantis

Kalfear

I gotta admit im a fan of Star Gate Atlantis and have been from the start. SG1 never really grabbed me (because of the actors I think) but since I been watchng SG Atlantis I find myself watching more and more SG1 now.

One thing that absolutely amazes my about this series is the imagination they must have to tie so many of earths history and lore into their series. Its absolutely amazing to me and so well done!

Makes me almost wish their version was the real one LOL.

Anyone else watch these and notice this?

I swear its the one thing that keeps me coming back week after week to watch the show, the revised history and lore.

I think the history is rather tacked on. I never liked the premise that almost every major historical figure and god is an alien. I was half-waiting for an Attila character to spring somewhere.

That said, I really like their visual style and the show kept me entertained for a long time.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I used to alot .. watched SG-1 all the way to season 7 and Stargate Atlantis season 1 .. but then I lost interest - the story is repetitive and badly written, it has imho opinion outlived it self.. it's time to wrap it up!

But I thought that Richard D. Anderson was pretty good .. he made the show a little less serious (in a good way) and made the characters seem more alive..

But it was BSG that made me turn away .. it outshines SG/A in every way and is by far the best Sci-fi show I've ever seen!

Fortune favors the bald.

thats strange as I really dont like BSG to be honest.

Maybe cause I was a fan of the original in my youth and its changed so much.

I find BSG just depressing to watch, nothing good ever happens and when something good does happen its down played into a depressing side line.

Much prefer SG1 and SGA because its lighter fair that doesnt take itself serious all the time.

Corse I watch TV to be entertained, I can watch the news to be depressed.

BSG is inspired by the news... :(

I find it refreshing that with BSG, Sci-Fi is more serious. Maybe it will help the genre to get more serious recognition but I wouldn't bet on that right now.

Besides, drama can be entertaining too. Even if it's in space. ^_^

Yeah I'm personally really tired of happy endings.. and let's face it BSG is still a happy ending show compared to reality!

I like it when something questions my moral, my way of thinking and generally forces me to take a stand instead of just entertaining me .. TV is just as good a media for Drama as theatres imo, since it can do things theatres can't - create entire worlds and sets in full 3D ..

Fortune favors the bald.

TV simulates imagination, you could say. Which is why some criticize it for being dumb - you need to think less.

Personally, I think the word 'simulate' is just missing a 't'. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

TV simulates imagination, you could say. Which is why some criticize it for being dumb - you need to think less.

Personally, I think the word 'simulate' is just missing a 't'. :D

then it's our imagination that is lacking .. although I would argue that it's our will to face reality .. I don't use these things to escape - only to enrich .. which is why I hardly watch TV anymore.. There's plenty of things that makes me forget already..

Fortune favors the bald.

Isn't all entertainment escapism? Mind you, I'm not putting any negative traits into escapism. I think it's well and good.

I don't think there's any need for stimulation, and in my opinion it just follows that our imagination(if we go by the normal Joe's traits) is not lacking.

kirottu said:

BSG is inspired by the news... :o

I find it refreshing that with BSG, Sci-Fi is more serious. Maybe it will help the genre to get more serious recognition but I wouldn't bet on that right now.

Besides, drama can be entertaining too. Even if it's in space. ^_^

Oh im all for seriousness, ive long maintained the only things I dont like about star Wars is the stupid cutsy creatures lucas comes up with for the kids. Id much rather Star Wars be created for adults so it doesnt get dumbed down in spots to appeal to kids (Jar Jar and crap like that).

Im all for swearing and nudity (and other adult situations) in Games and movies IF IT FITS THE SITUATION at hand (swearing for the sake of swearing and nudity for the sake of nudity is just lazy and stupid IMO). Disney is for kids, the rest should be for Adults!

But IMO (only my Opinion) BSG goes beyond seriousness and enters the land of depressing (as i have said).

You can be serious and still uplifting, you can tackle racism as a topic and not be all negative and mellow drama. This is where BSG fails for me, sure it tackles real topics but it NEVER has a uplifting finish to it.

Its like that Clint Eastwood Western he made "unforgiven". Hated that movie when I saw it because there was no hero. Everyone was trash and evil, just different shades of bad.

I watch movies and TV for the drama and story but in the end I wanna be able to cheer for the good guys. Maybe its nieve of me but I see nothing wrong with that. Our lives are filled with negative role models already (be it drugged out rock stars or actors, racist political figures (or actors), ect that we dont need our entertainment to copy them.

When I watch BSG I feel drained and negative because I dont particularly like the good guys and dont particularly hate the bad guys, they all just different shades of negativity and thats depressing to me.

I like shows that make you think but there is a clear cut hero or main character you can get behind like Boston Legal. Alan Shore might have questionable morales but when push comes to shove he tries to do whats morally right. If his same character was on BSG they would leave out him doing anything right or good and just focus on the bad.

Maybe im a optimist at heart but id rather see a show that focuses on the good of a person then try to glorify the bad of a person. Sorta is the glass half empty or half full type of question.

We can turn on the news and see muderous scum and religious fanatics every day of the week, tv shows should make you think but they should also entertain you. I find nothing entertaining about being depressed and glorifying the bad in a person. Thats just bad writting in my book.

As I said, just my opinion but I HONESTLY beleive shows like BSG, the Wire, and Brotherhood do nothing but harm to our society at large. We need our make beleive heros as we have so few legit heros in the real world. The real world has enough villians and morally void figures that we shouldnt need to glorify them in our TV shows as well.

As I said, it might be neive of me but give me good old fashioned Good over Evil any day of the week, im bored to tears with Bad over Worse. Being evil (or writing for it) takes no talent or imagination, its easy to do (which is why so many are doing it in the world) but doing the right thing (or writing about it) demands thoughtfulness, decency, and intellegence. Why watch a show thats so void of thought, decency, or intellegent that they try to make negativity and taking the easy route the normal choice?

Edited by Kalfear

I liked SG-1 a lot the first three or four seasons. Then it got old. And then there was no more MacGuyver and the new guy just doesn't cut it for me. He's not bad...he just has no definitive personality to get attached to, as far as I'm concerned. I still watch it occasionally if I happen to be watching TV when it's on, but not often.

SG-Atlantis - the tech-nerd character grew on me, I like him. The show itself...not so much. I find the Wraith uninteresting as enemies...kind of like how I always found Klingon stuff in ST:TNG boring.

They're not bad shows...just kind of tired....

I personally believe you can watch, enjoy and like both lighter and darker fare. They don't have to be exclusive. Even with dark shows, they usually "win" a conflict eventually. They're heroes in a different way; gritter vs. breezy. While I like amusingly cartoonish/light-hearted heroes, I also like anti-heroes...and those inbetween.

CSI:Las Vegas/House/Rome are my fave shows at the moment.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I liked SG-1 a lot the first three or four seasons. Then it got old. And then there was no more MacGuyver and the new guy just doesn't cut it for me. He's not bad...he just has no definitive personality to get attached to, as far as I'm concerned. I still watch it occasionally if I happen to be watching TV when it's on, but not often.

SG-Atlantis - the tech-nerd character grew on me, I like him. The show itself...not so much. I find the Wraith uninteresting as enemies...kind of like how I always found Klingon stuff in ST:TNG boring.

They're not bad shows...just kind of tired....

I personally believe you can watch, enjoy and like both lighter and darker fare. They don't have to be exclusive. Even with dark shows, they usually "win" a conflict eventually. They're heroes in a different way; gritter vs. breezy. While I like amusingly cartoonish/light-hearted heroes, I also like anti-heroes...and those inbetween.

CSI:Las Vegas/House/Rome are my fave shows at the moment.

True but here is a better example.

I was a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of the West Wing series.

Now we all know that most of our political figures are void and empty of any morales in real life and the West Wing was definately driven by whats happening in the world.

Yet rather then focus on evil men (and women) taking the easy or most profitable way out, they decided to give the characters a STRONG foundation in good. So even when they were forced to do something negative you knew they struggled with that choice and would have prefered to have done the good move but were out played.

Now flash forward to BSG. When Adama is forced to do something negative, I dont truely beleive there is regret from the character for that move. You can blame the actor for not getting the emotion accross but fact is thats a damn good actor they have for that role, which tells me its the writing and director moreso then the actors failure to get across a emotion or inner struggle after a negative situation or choice.

Probably the worst character in that show is the 1st officer (forget his name). He is the most generic bad guy you have ever seen and his character has NO inner struggle or decency to him. Hes just plainly a drunk A hole whose manipulated the system to get where he is riding on the coat tails of Adama. Its such a bad character Im surprised anyone can stand the guy. It took NO imagination to create the character, takes NO imagination to play the character, and if thats what people consider SERIOUS, they should be ashamed of themselves!

Again, it doesnt take any talent to write or play a bad guy with NO redeaming qualities. It takes ALOT of talent to write for and play a bad guy people come to care about, but BSG has no one like that. Again it focuses totally on the negative. There are no heros, no inner struggles, everyone just takes the easy way out and to hell with the concequences. Thats not entertainment to me.

Again, these just my own feeling on the topic and dont think im going to change anyones idea or concepts of the shows. But if at least one person takes time to think about what im saying then it was worth it.

SG1 and SGA are not fine wine of sci fi but they definately are creative and imaginative, and they definately have heros that when forced to do a evil dead, they struggle with it and show that even though they had no choice they feel remorse and sadness over the act.

At least they promote a positive message for the fans and people watching.

Oh on side note, heheh I like the new guy more then I did McGyver to be honest. But keep in mind I LOVED the original movie and Kurt Russell set that character up for what he is, the TV show changed the character entirerly which is part of the reason I never really got into SG1. But still ifnd the imagination used for the history and story of the show to be amazing.

I love that all our old world gods were Aliens of different races and how they interacted with each other because our worlds lore. Really well done on that aspect IMO.

And Rodney Mckay is hillarious! SGA would be nothing with out Rodney, he fits in so well with the other cast members!

Welp time to go watch STA :sorcerer:

cyas all later

-snip-

As I said, it might be neive of me but give me good old fashioned Good over Evil any day of the week, im bored to tears with Bad over Worse. Being evil (or writing for it) takes no talent or imagination, its easy to do (which is why so many are doing it in the world) but doing the right thing (or writing about it) demands thoughtfulness, decency, and intellegence. Why watch a show thats so void of thought, decency, or intellegent that they try to make negativity and taking the easy route the normal choice?

I don't think you've watched BSG with an openmind (although that would probably depress you more since it's even worse once you dig down through the waste of human deprevation) .. but this show is actually about the nature of humanity - asking the simple question - why should we survive? It's also a show that looks very seriously at human flaws and somehwat celebrates them, since it is our flaws that enables us to surpass ourselves.. it is the fact that we sin, cry, despair and fail, that makes it even more glorious when we rise to the challenge in spite of our shortcomings .. and the only reason that we rise is because - essentially it would be suicide not to..

But now it's a discussion of something more than just entertainment.. it's a question of what we want to believe in - and why...

I don't need a posterboy with a few cracks in the facade - that depresses me - because few are like that (very very few) - and it's an unrealistic ideal - we are above, and below, heroes these days .. it's time we face the truth and start dealing with reality instead of mellowing in idealistic and unrealistic selfglorification.. and maybe alot of people can't handle that, which makes me sad - fairytails are for kids.. Don't be naive just because it's easier .. I understand why some need to escape - and why some can't .. but a choice needs to made and questions asked.. what do I believe in? what will sustain me when reality consumes all the fairytales that kept me warm?

I say.. even if the glass is half-empty - at least it's not empty.. yet...

Fortune favors the bald.

Now flash forward to BSG. When Adama is forced to do something negative, I dont truely beleive there is regret from the character for that move. You can blame the actor for not getting the emotion accross but fact is thats a damn good actor they have for that role, which tells me its the writing and director moreso then the actors failure to get across a emotion or inner struggle after a negative situation or choice.

I don't know...I sense a lot of regret (and anger/doubt) in him. The ability to "sense" emotion from an actor's protrayal of a character is very subjective, imo...it won't effect everyone the same way. I can understand why you, and perhaps thousands of others, may not see regret, but that doesn't mean myself, and thousands of others, don't

Probably the worst character in that show is the 1st officer (forget his name).

I'll agree with that - not because he's "bad" but simply because he has no dimmension. He's a boring one-note ranter and his character never grows. This isn't dependant on his being "bad", however. I also find the President character boring and lifeless. :)

It took NO imagination to create the character, takes NO imagination to play the character, and if thats what people consider SERIOUS, they should be ashamed of themselves!

Hold on now...it's one thing to disagree about what's imaginative/creative/fun and another to start placing shame labels on the personal, subjective likes and dislikes of fictional content on others. Liking such things doesn't automatically make someone a bad person w/something to be ashamed of. :thumbsup:

Again, it doesnt take any talent to write or play a bad guy with NO redeaming qualities.

IMO it doesn't take much talent to to play a generic good guy, either. Both good and bad characters are very dependant on writing, actor, and story, not just whether they are "good" or "bad."

At least they promote a positive message for the fans and people watching.

So does BSG, imo - but it's more of an overall message, not an episode by episode one...tenancity and survival and all it entails...constant survival/war against high odds would likely affect characters in many different - and often negative - ways, and I think the show just tries to reflect that.

I can understand not liking such a theme or preferring more of the always-positive - but the always positive has the danger of being too idealized and presenting a warped sense of "reality" to viewers, just as too much "bad/negative" may do the same. Thus I like and appreciate a balance - some of both.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

one thing that I think a lot of people are wondering about is whether the Reimagined BSG will ever have aliens.

Classic BSG was able to find stories that did not always involve the Cylons or the cramped conditions of the fleet, etc because it had aliens and human settlements scattered far and wide (that were still considered Colonial, just very remote).

Olmos has apparently said that if aliens appear on the show, he is leaving. While the show would be losing a lot to lose him, I think the show could take it at this point.

Bringing aliens into it would also charge up the hard core sci fi fans who have always been somewhat ambivalent about the show (and the Firefly show, which has no aliens).

the whole "what is a soul" thing is very good but the series needs more I believe.

I would leave it too if Aliens appear .. especially if it's badly written .. of course, if they just come across some semi-intelligent life on a remote planet, I would have no problem with it. Because, while I can't somewhat accept that they speak english, I wouldn't find it distasteful that Aliens do too .. not in this show.

But I think there's still a lot to discover in the direction the show has gone so far (have only seen season 1&2 so far though).

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

See, one of the reasons I could never get into SG-1 was that there were too many aliens and the whole thing was more like a dumbed down version of Star Trek.

BSG is about the human condition, the human spirit and how these things react to extreme situations, how humans can find the will to go on, the human instinct for survival.

BSG is about not pulling any punches, about showing how anyone could react facing their own race's extinction.

Aliens have no place in this.

I would accept aliens in BSG in only one instance and that is when they finally find Earth it is already inhabitted by other intelligent beings other than humans or Cylons and even that would be completely unnecessary.

I would still watch it even if EJO would leave though and I would still give the show a chance if aliens were introduced. I wouldn't like this but I'd give it a chance.

WOW, im surprised you all like Star Wars then because at its core its cowboys and indians in space with a hooky religion and aliens galor! Its whole premise is good vrs evil in the most generic way possible. But good vrs evil sells, always has, always will to the general public.

From what I have read BSG has had alot of trouble finding a audience and its still touch and go if it keeps going from season to season. Definately hasnt grabbed the public the way SG1 or SGA has.

As I said, In my opinion I dont care for the show. I know thats not going to change others opinions and thats fine. I DID watch it with a open mind (well somewhat open, im old enough to remember the original series so of course comparrisons will be made. And ill even admit I was turned off by the female starbuck character and still am.

I dont watch BSG faithfully but if its the only thing on ill catch a episode here and there. I did watch the first season from begining to end and it really came off to me (and everyone I know to be honest) as a sci fi soap opera of the same quality (regarding writing, visually it was good).

Ros, im not surprised you disagree with me either after your reply about SWG and why it failed in other forum. We definately see things differently on pretty much every level, and thats fine but dont tell me my mind was closed when you actually dont know that as you dont know me. Im a VERY open minded person and everyone I know put alot of faith into my opinions on MMORPGs and Sci fi/fantasy stories as im VERY VERY VERY well read (from Dickens in original english text - to law- to finances- to history- to more fantasy/sci fi then you probably seen in your lifetime) and one of the true pinoneers you will ever meet in MMORPGs having beta tested the very first MMORPG ever made and played close to 90% of all MMORPGs that came afterwards. Fact is I put alot of though and practical experience into my comments and they come from real experience and not just fly by my pants ideas. I see the good and bad and the reasons behind the good and bad in almost everything and its truely rare that I think something is outright bad. BSG just happens to be the exception to the rule is all.

WOW, im surprised you all like Star Wars then because at its core its cowboys and indians in space with a hooky religion and aliens galor!

Star Wars is not drama in space like BSG is. SW is fantasy, barely Sci-Fi imo.

And looking at the big picture, as much as I like BSG, I'd be surpised if it last for more than 4 seasons, for some important reasons you mentionned, most notably the trouble finding an audience which leads to lower ratings.

Time will tell I suppose.

Ros, im not surprised you disagree with me either after your reply about SWG and why it failed in other forum. We definately see things differently on pretty much every level, and thats fine but dont tell me my mind was closed when you actually dont know that as you dont know me. Im a VERY open minded person and everyone I know put alot of faith into my opinions on MMORPGs and Sci fi/fantasy stories as im VERY VERY VERY well read (from Dickens in original english text - to law- to finances- to history- to more fantasy/sci fi then you probably seen in your lifetime) and one of the true pinoneers you will ever meet in MMORPGs having beta tested the very first MMORPG ever made and played close to 90% of all MMORPGs that came afterwards. Fact is I put alot of though and practical experience into my comments and they come from real experience and not just fly by my pants ideas. I see the good and bad and the reasons behind the good and bad in almost everything and its truely rare that I think something is outright bad. BSG just happens to be the exception to the rule is all.

I still respect you though.. never said otherwise (fyi) .. (and if I didn't, I wouldn't even be discussing with you) But no, we don't see eye to eye, clearly.. the "open-minded"card was played because I felt that would make you rethink what you thought - as I felt you were going on somewhat of a rant rather than critizism.. but sure, that seems like an impressive list - says nothing about what you think or how you think though.. My friends listen to my advise as well - but that says more about them than me.. ^_^

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Hadn't seen anyone mention this so I thought I would: SciFi is moving BSG to Sunday nights on January 21, following the premiere of The Dresden Files (based on the wizard-detective series by Jim Butcher) earlier that night.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Hadn't seen anyone mention this so I thought I would: SciFi is moving BSG to Sunday nights on January 21, following the premiere of The Dresden Files (based on the wizard-detective series by Jim Butcher) earlier that night.

Apparently for us Canadian viewers (I'm looking at you astro!) Space is planning on doing the same. Both networks will be moving to 10pm Sundays.

Classic BSG had a major flaw: they kept looking for Earth even though they found other worlds with a suitable atmosphere, gravity, etc. Of course, to Larson, the idea of reuniting with the 13th tribe was important to him as a Mormon.

But there was no military reason to not inhabit these other worlds. In the Reimagined BSG, worlds with Nitrogen/Oxygen atmospheres are extremely rare and permanent settlements are always on the table.

But the flaw of classic BSG (looking for EARTH, not earths) was also a convenient storytelling device: they could waltz into town, take down the local protection racket and be on their merry. Cowboys in space. RBSG cannot do that as easily because any world that can sustain human life is earth.

So, there is the alien thing. Yes, maybe BSG can do aliens right: no English, no universal translators and aliens don't breathe what we breathe.

I also liked the Eastern Alliance thing that classic BSG had going....basically, they find their human cousins but there is a bitter war going on. How do you sit down and talk about settlements, etc when there are 2 bitterly-divided camps?

Anyway, the shows needs more than the Cylons to keep going, I believe.