What's so bad about the dark side anyway?

What I hate about the Jedi code is "There is no emotion, there is peace." That is the dumbest teaching I have ever heard. It is the biggest reason why many Jedi fall to the dark side in the first place.

I don't think it's so much no emotion as much as the control of emotions. Acceptance that sometimes life sucks and there's nothing you can do about it - you can't control everything. Er...or something like that. The idea is one can have negative/sad emotional feelings, but that doesn't mean an end always justifies the means, ala Anakin's fears/decisions.

That said, SW does have a certain...fortune cookie kung-fu-master-with-long-white-hair fantasy element. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Jedi knows that there is emotion.

There is no emotion, there is peace can be interpreted as the need to understand ones emotions and controlling them rather than letting them control you.

It is not a denial of emotion or a rejection of emotions, that is they do not seek to become emotionless automatons but they seek to understand the emotions they possess and not let their emotions and passions rule them and their actions.

Basically a Jedi is selfless, nonmaterialistic, self sacrificing not greedy, helpful, tolerant, modest, humble and serves rather than rules.

A Jedi should never act through ignorance, or act because his passions and emotions tells him to, he should act with serenity in mind and not let selfishness guide him.

In the Star Wars universe killing is not an evil act, Jedi kill.

A Jedi should however always try other solutions for a problem rather than to rely on his lightsaber as his first choice.

The Dark Siders let their emotions and passions rule them, emotions such as fear, anger and hate often leads to them causing harm in a way which could be avoided,

by for example a Jedi who acts with serenity and harmony.

About the light and darkside: I don't think you can interpret dark side as "eveil" or as the notion people seem to usually call evil. I think it's more likely that the dark side or "falling to the dark side" and all the insanity and skin afflections, etc that follow are just a backlash from the use of the force for acts that pervert or twist the natural order. Seizing control of life, killing or destruction all go under that. You could argue that since force exists in everything - in all living(Yuuzhan Vong doesn't count)- messing with the force is messing with nature and life itself.

The act of playing god - seizing control of a life is nothing short of opression.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A good person does not use torture.

Using torture is an evil act.

Inflicting physical or mental pain is both distasteful and evil.

It is even worse if one feels joy or satisfaction while doing it.

Good people kill to defend themselves or to save others or to prevent other beings from coming to harm but killing is not inherently an evil act.

The difference between and evil person and a good person

(where can those be found in these days?) is that the good person does not kill without a good reason and if death can be prevented he tries to prevent it.

A good person feels distaste against killing and does not like it and only does it

when it is necessary.

Lives taken to survive and with respect, such as killing a plant or an animal to eat it is not evil, but natural.

Whereas killing a person to take his money or other valuables is an unnatural and evil act.

The way I see it, no Force power is inherently dark or light.

I disagree with that statement because in KotOR II you have Dark Nihilus (spelling?) using that power that completly destorys life/drains the Force from the planet or whatever he fed on at that particular moment. Beyond that single point, I agree

Nihilus is an anomaly. He's unnatural by principle.

And by the by, certain plants can drain a soil dry of all resources, parasitically kill host trees and drain all oxygen from an entire lake. Are they evil?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

A good person does not use torture.

Using torture is an evil act.

Inflicting physical or mental pain is both distasteful and evil.

It is even worse if one feels joy or satisfaction while doing it.

Good people kill to defend themselves or to save others or to prevent other beings from coming to harm but killing is not inherently an evil act.

The difference between and evil person and a good person

(where can those be found in these days?) is that the good person does not kill without a good reason and if death can be prevented he tries to prevent it.

A good person feels distaste against killing and does not like it and only does it

when it is necessary.

Lives taken to survive and with respect, such as killing a plant or an animal to eat it is not evil, but natural.

Whereas killing a person to take his money or other valuables is an unnatural and evil act.

Btw what if torture is the only way to get informantion out of an enemy?

That informantion can possiblity save many people.

Also What if by acting like you enjoying the torture inorder to break their will to get the informantion faster?

Torture is half physical and half mental.

Nihilus is Galactus from a certain standpoint

Neither good nor bad, more of a immutable force of nature. (and their MO is the same)

I don't think there should be such a thing as the dark side and light side given you can use almost any power incorrectly and it comes out hurting someone.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

What's so bad about the dark side anyway?

Ahem, to answer the question, nothing. Its a perception, a point of view, like Palpatine said to Anakin. The Dark Side is a perception, both politically and traditionally.

Right there you should see how stupid your argument is. You think Palpy was gonna tell Anakin how bad the Dark Side is in hopes of winning him over? Duh. No he wasnt going to tell him the truth, he was going to tell him something that SOUNDED like the truth, or at least something that would give Anakin an excuse from the real truth. Dark side = evil. Light side = good. End of story.

What you just described is called the "Potentium Heresy". Aka: The belief that there is no light or dark, it's how you interpet it personally. Aka: Bologna.

There is a light side, and there is a dark side. The two oppose each other constantly, each trying to gain the upper hand.

Of course if you'd like to debate further, by all means, go for it.

-Benjamin Korr, still standing in the light.

Edited by Benjamin Korr

"The dimmest light can shatter the darkest night, and the light I carry is in no way dim."

benjamin1kn.jpg

Guest The Architect
I disagree with that statement because in KotOR II you have Dark Nihilus (spelling?) using that power that completly destorys life/drains the Force from the planet or whatever he fed on at that particular moment.  Beyond that single point, I agree

So you are saying that if say Master Vrook knew how to drain life from an entire planet, then he is evil? Like I've said, no force power is inherently light or dark. What if Vrook decides to never use that power? Or what if he uses it for good intentions or only uses it when the justification for the use of that power is reasonable?

For example, would Revan be considered as evil if he drained the life out of someone who burnt his house down, pissed on the ashes, killed his parents and raped Bastila? I wouldn't blame Revan for slowly torturing the scumbag to death, and then finishing him off by slowly devouring his life in a scenario like that. Would you?

The Jedi are retards. If someone uses force lightning, then to the Jedi, they're instantly bad, when that is not always the case. What if someone used force crush to crush a can of cool drink once they've finished it? Are they evil?

The Jedi shouldn't avoid using the dark side all together, as their would be benefits to using it. What the Jedi should of taught their students was how to use the dark side responsibly. How to not abuse it, to not treat it like a toy, kind of like with a car.

But in the end, Xard is right. Star Wars is a fictional fairytale world where the DS = evil and the LS = good. It's pretty stupid how it's portrayed that way, but Star Wars has always been simple, black and white and cartoonish.

In K3, I'd like to see DS'ders who are 'good' and LS'ders who are 'evil', just to show that you can use LS powers for evil intentions and you can use DS powers for good intentions.

Edited by The Architect

Killing/harming - Not always reflective of darkside. Both sides kill or harm to some extent in varying ways. It is more of sequence or how it is prioritised for each side depending on situation and opposition involved.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

I disagree with that statement because in KotOR II you have Dark Nihilus (spelling?) using that power that completly destorys life/drains the Force from the planet or whatever he fed on at that particular moment.  Beyond that single point, I agree

So you are saying that if say Master Vrook knew how to drain life from an entire planet, then he is evil? Like I've said, no force power is inherently light or dark. What if Vrook decides to never use that power? Or what if he uses it for good intentions or only uses it when the justification for the use of that power is reasonable?

For example, would Revan be considered as evil if he drained the life out of someone who burnt his house down, pissed on the ashes, killed his parents and raped Bastila? I wouldn't blame Revan for slowly torturing the scumbag to death, and then finishing him off by slowly devouring his life in a scenario like that. Would you?

The Jedi are retards. If someone uses force lightning, then to the Jedi, they're instantly bad, when that is not always the case. What if someone used force crush to crush a can of cool drink once they've finished it? Are they evil?

The Jedi shouldn't avoid using the dark side all together, as their would be benefits to using it. What the Jedi should of taught their students was how to use the dark side responsibly. How to not abuse it, to not treat it like a toy, kind of like with a car.

But in the end, Xard is right. Star Wars is a fictional fairytale world where the DS = evil and the LS = good. It's pretty stupid how it's portrayed that way, but Star Wars has always been simple, black and white and cartoonish.

In K3, I'd like to see DS'ders who are 'good' and LS'ders who are 'evil', just to show that you can use LS powers for evil intentions and you can use DS powers for good intentions.

Well heres the thing. No, it wouldnt be bad for a Jedi to crush a coke can when he finished with it. Thats not the problem. Where the evil comes in is that, the only way for a Jedi to use force lightning is to have some level of apptitude with the dark side. Visa-ve, if he is dark side enough to use lightning, he's probobly dark enough that he'll have a hard time resisting the temptations of the dark side. Thus the Jedi feel it is best just to leave dark sided powers alone.

"The dimmest light can shatter the darkest night, and the light I carry is in no way dim."

benjamin1kn.jpg

This thread tries to question morality in general (I feel) - but fails to do so as it's foundation is fictional universe in which things are supposed to be stereotypical.. Now you can question reality through fiction (as it will always be inspired by the real world), but not fiction through reality - because then you remove the very foundation of the fictional universe, it's own reality.

Fortune favors the bald.

This thread tries to question morality in general (I feel) - but fails to do so as it's foundation is fictional universe in which things are supposed to be stereotypical.. Now you can question reality through fiction (as it will always be inspired by the real world), but not fiction through reality - because then you remove the very foundation of the fictional universe, it's own reality.

well spoken

IB1OsQq.png

well spoken

Sounded like a lot of gobbledegook to me, but whatever. I see what you're saying anyhow, but I still think that there was a very simple basis for all this laid out early in SW's life, and it's gotten distorted over the years. Kinda makes you wonder if the dark side hasnt tainted your minds to think this way and thus rule the universe! Hahahah, dont worry, I'm still here to make sure that doesnt happen. :thumbsup: lol

Edited by Benjamin Korr

benjamin1kn.jpg

Guest The Architect
This thread tries to question morality in general (I feel) - but fails to do so as it's foundation is fictional universe in which things are supposed to be stereotypical... Now you can question reality through fiction (as it will always be inspired by the real world), but not fiction through reality - because then you remove the very foundation of the fictional universe, it's own reality.

I thought that was obvious. Of course you can't question fiction through reality, because the laws of authenticity don't have to apply to fictional stories, and they certainly don't in Star Wars.

Still, the purpose of this thread was to discuss what is so bad about the dark side. I don't see why this cannot be discussed. IMO, if a force user uses the dark side, it doesn't make them evil.

How and for what reasons an individual uses the dark side should define if they are evil or not. A Jedi should be allowed to use the dark side if they want. As long as they don't do anything wrong, what's the problem?

Sure, I understand that most Jedi 'don't want to take the risk' but the dark side is nothing to fear. Why would using the power of the dark side corrupt you? Look at Kyle Katarn. He uses the dark side, but he's a Jedi. Those who become corrupted by it are just weak minded fools.

By the way, who deleted my last post in this thread, mentioning how I hate goths and how they suck?

Edited by The Architect