NWN2: Discussion

metadigital

Wrong method of delivery though. If you are under time constraints or budget constraints or whatever and can't do a full FMV or even a cutscene, then at the very least have 1/ a narrator that doesn't soundl ike a **** and 2/ none of the stupid real-time voices. Was easily the worst part of NWN2.

The battle wasn't even really important to the plot in any way, was it?

The silver sword and the Ritual powers were both supposed to be needed to beat the KoS, but the general consensus is that the Ritual powers were not terribly useful. As for the sword, I believe the shadow portal that appears during the last battle can only be destroyed using it.

I thought the ritual powers were very useful. The second part of the fight would have been much harder without them. However, what they were not, was needed. I'm sure the KoS could have been beaten without using them even once.

I don't understand why the shadow portal needed to be destroyed, and by the silver sword.

The King of Shadows was being fed power through the portal. As long as it was open, he kept renewing his powers and thus couldn't be defeated. With the portal down, the source of his powers was gone. The silver sword, I'm guessing, had to be used due to it's ability to sever the silver threads that links a person to their homeplane. All silver swords have that ability, but given how powerful the KoS was, it makes sense that the most powerful of the silver swords was the only one that was up to snuff.

Thanks! :) BTW, after searching the Bioware forums I've discovered that Bishop having Two Weapon Style is in fact a bug.

Bishop's character package is set for archery style, but for some inexplicable reason it insists on giving him two-weapon fighting.

Heh, after reading that I have absolutely no qualms about giving him the archery path via console. :o

You're welcome. :)

I ran across the same comment, which is why I felt ok with using the console as well. Hopefully it's fixed now so that I won't have to do it again.

I thought the ritual powers were very useful. The second part of the fight would have been much harder without them. However, what they were not, was needed. I'm sure the KoS could have been beaten without using them even once.

Not only they were useful, but also made the last fight incredibly easy. All you have to do is to stand still and spam Soothing Light endlessly, occasionally making raids to Cleansing Nova + Web of Purify.

SPOILERS AHEAD

is not how we saw.  how you gots Guardian coming up with clandestine plans and making deals with garius and shadow priests n' such if he is simply golem-like?

I don't think the KoS made any plans, per se. To use an overthought comparison, the KoS is akin to a Lovecraftian god, potent but remote. The shadow priests are cultists who revere the KoS in the same way Lovecraft's cultists revered Cthulu. They follow him because they know he'll come anyway, and when he does they might be spared destruction. But like Cthulu, the KoS doesn't really concern himself with his cult's aims. The cult worships him, but their interests aren't his.

Black Garius sought out the KoS out of a lust for power. He knew that the KoS was powerful and overestimated his ability. He thought he could steal the KoS' power and discard him, and instead he became enslaved.

Exactly! ^_^

maybe you only feel this way 'cause character were written so bad. what kos does to those elf chicks were kinda twisted... takes immagination and anger, not just programming. our character mocks garius for being the servant/slave o' garius, and garius not deny it... concedes he is slave, but is a slave with power, so he not mind.

did anything the dead librarian or other spooks say suggest that the Guardian gave up his will as well as his soul? no? so why you jump to that conclusion? when some of the spirits were making excuses for the kos or complaining 'bout what were done to him you not think that they would add in fact that the Guardian were incapable of making intelligent choices? sure, the one spirit says that Guardian is still guarding, but that not mean that it is golem-like. crystal dragon not bring it up either.

so the real question is, in spite of fact that there not seem to be no evidence to suggest that kos is golem-like, why you come to that conclusion? the hollow dialogue at end were bad dialogue, but is that the only thing that actually convinced you that kos were golem-like? we gots folks telling us that Guardian were twisted and perverted by shadow weave. we gots folks telling us that he were master of garius. we gots you holding an intelligent (but horrible) conversation with a seemingly intelligent being who not seem interested in allowing you to inspect his bellybutton as many games allows you to do.

kos not seem golem-like save for fact that he gots no life... literal. he exists for a purpose, one purpose. such utter devotion and singlemindedness is gonna seem inhuman, but we not see mindlessness. you recall the terminator movies? the terminators ain't big conversationalists, but they got intelligence and can adapt. second terminator movie even got a terminator growing as a person once he is given programming that allows such growth.

am not saying you is wrong, but other than gut, what sorta evidence is you guys using?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am not saying you is wrong, but other than gut, what sorta evidence is you guys using? 

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not. I obviously have to replay the game again. ;)

hey, keep in mind that you and pop may be right and Gromnir might be wrong. am simply trying to see how you and he got to your shared conclusion(s.)

in any event, if kos character is so badly written that people ain't sure if he is a golem or not, that in itself might be a bit o' a problem.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A few questions...

1) I got a nice red dragon hide from one of my hunting trips. How do I use that in crafting? It lists a few armour types for which it can be used, yet those armour types all require more than one hide/ingot. I tried the molds just with the dragon hide, then the mold with dragon hide and "filling up" with a quantity of other materials to no avail. Do I need to find two more red dragons to kill?

2) My manual and the in-game description of Eldritch knight has *very* differnt oppinions about the requirements. Which one is correct?

3) The Warpriest PrC says something to the effect of getting a priest spell level for every second Warpriest level. Does that mean, if I pick, say 7 levels of priest and 10 level of Warpriest, I would have a frenzied, mouth frothing killing machine casting spells like a 12th level cleric? Some examples in the manual would have been nice.

I've now started on my 5th "second game", just can't make my mind up which class to stay with. I miss my Duellist. Even kept the Duellist garb from deeking, my fedora and my +3 rapier until the very end. Only when the portal insisted on a very special weapon did I discard my trusty rapier :'(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A few questions...

1) I got a nice red dragon hide from one of my hunting trips. How do I use that in crafting? It lists a few armour types for which it can be used, yet those armour types all require more than one hide/ingot. I tried the molds just with the dragon hide, then the mold with dragon hide and "filling up" with a quantity of other materials to no avail. Do I need to find two more red dragons to kill?

2) My manual and the in-game description of Eldritch knight has *very* differnt oppinions about the requirements. Which one is correct?

3) The Warpriest PrC says something to the effect of getting a priest spell level for every second Warpriest level. Does that mean, if I pick, say 7 levels of priest and 10 level of Warpriest, I would have a frenzied, mouth frothing killing machine casting spells like a 12th level cleric? Some examples in the manual would have been nice.

I've now started on my 5th "second game", just can't make my mind up which class to stay with. I miss my Duellist. Even kept the Duellist garb from deeking, my fedora and my +3 rapier until the very end. Only when the portal insisted on a very special weapon did I discard my trusty rapier  :'(

1) your dragon hide is useless 'cause there is only 2 in game. need 'least three to make armour. a developer mentioned that they was gonna change hide requirement to 2, but that not happen in patch 1.03.

2) am recalling that in-game is correct, but am not positive.

3)7 cleric + 10 warpriest does = a 12th level caster... which is why most pg folks stop taking warpriest after 4 levels. with a 16/4 cleric/warpriest you gets your extra attack and still can cast 9th level spells. end up with arguably the second most powerful build in game... right behind 16 druid/ 4 warpriest.

after playing through once, Gromnir decideds that a LG rogue/priest of hoar is way to go for him... with a human able learner we can max out all social skills we wants, as well as getting tumble and umd. is maybe not the best combat character, but is pretty darn good ('specially once we gets persistent divine favor.) add in a couple of wands we got prepared for knock and bless weapon and we could easily solo... but point is to squeeze as much juice as possible out of game, not to beat... 'cause if you wanna beat easy all you gotta do is play at a difficulty less than max.

'course a rogue/wizard with able learner might accomplish same kinda results.

hope that helps.

HA! Good Fun!

Ok I have another question for you lot!

I have been a good boy so far, a super lawman Paladin/DC with a twist of metro and a whole lot of undead hatred.

Now, my companions are almost equally good, even the dwarf is getting soft

as he moves along the path to become a Monk

, but if I was to start over and make an evil char, would I be able to influence them as well? Wouldn't it be kinda awkward to run around as a Blackguard, for instance, with a band of bleeding heart goody two shoes?  :lol:

You can't change anyone's alignment. You could influence them, especially if you lie all the time, but they stay good.

Based on other comments on the bio-boards, if you role-play an evil person throughout the dialogue, you'll end up with low influence with everyone who's good. For the most part they'll stay with you, though, since however evil you are the KoS is worse. So the disconnect is going to be there.

There is, however, one good NPC who might dump you before the ending.

hope that helps.

It does, thank you :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hmm - just finished it.

Gah, that ending. That was by far the WORST narration I've ever heard. I literally had to turn the speakers off 'cause his monotone was pissing me off to the extent that I couldn't read the text. <_<

If as Tigranes said, the Battle of Highcliff "scene" was the worst moment in NWN2, then this has got to be the second worst. :lol:

On the positive side, I never imagined killing

Qara and Bishop

would feel so good.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

Qara and Bishop

would feel so good.

The only one I had to kill was Qara... Bishop just decided that he didn't need a "Captain", gave me his lifes story and decided to leave the scene all together, KoS beeing so doomed because I was such a kick-arse guy... The only disappointment was Elanee, &^%$ tree hugger AND tree worshipper to boot deserted me long before the end battle. Even the tiefling remained loyal to me, despite being tortured by Garius. Quite touching really.

Trying to see if I can work the influences a bit differently in my second game.

Qara and Bishop

would feel so good.

The only one I had to kill was Qara... Bishop just decided that he didn't need a "Captain", gave me his lifes story and decided to leave the scene all together, KoS beeing so doomed because I was such a kick-arse guy... The only disappointment was Elanee, &^%$ tree hugger AND tree worshipper to boot deserted me long before the end battle. Even the tiefling remained loyal to me, despite being tortured by Garius. Quite touching really.

Trying to see if I can work the influences a bit differently in my second game.

Interesting.

Unfortunately, the Annah wannabe didn't have the strength in her *cough* I didn't have the influence cough *cough* and I was forced to slay her. Quite tragic really. On the bright side, my relations with the Elanee the tree hugger was quite good, and my PC was invited to have sex with her.

I guess the unofficial rule in the Forgotten Realms games is that elven chicks are pretty much fair game.

manthing2.jpg

I guess the unofficial rule in the Forgotten Realms games is that elven chicks are pretty much fair game.

It must be all that nature stuff, gets to their hormone glands somehow.

Edited by Gorth

Looks like I'm done with NWN2's OC. I just can't bring myself to replay it when I have better looking, older games with fewer annoyances. I may break out the toolset and make a module someday, but I think I'll wait for another patch or two. Or I'll go shopping and pick up a few other PC games to play. Probably look for some CRPG type games since they tend to be my favorites.

Qara and Bishop

would feel so good.

It would bring a smile to my face.

I thought that was any form of killing. :aiee:

you and Grimgnaw would get along well :aiee:

She probably did until she pried his bling-bling Order of the Long Gloves from his cold, dead hands before leaving his carcus to rot in the desolate Wastes of Cania.

Only way to do it. :dancing:

As Lilacor says, "Murder! Death!! KILL!!!"

manthing2.jpg