i need some help

Darth Tratious

i am gonna upgrade my video card soon but i am on a budget of about 250 dollars i am looking for a 512 mb card that can run nwn2 and oblivion and all these great games but the card i have now sucks its a ATI Radeon 9550 256MB 4/8 agp and it has lived passed what it is needed for ,please make some suggetions as i really have no idea what to look for and it has been a while since i really purchased anything computer hardware wise

Are you absolutely sure you need a 512MB card? Amount of video memory has a very indirect effect on performance. The first thing you should look at is the GPU, next look at the memory bandwidth, and finally the amount of video RAM.

Unfortunately, it looks like you need an AGP card. This leaves you with very few options, although you have a very reasonably budget. The 7800GS is one possibility, you should be able to get it anywhere between $205 to $250 (rebates may apply) from Newegg. It's a very nice card, but you would've had more options with PCIe. Never, ever buy a card from Best Buy or Circuit City or CompUSA unless they can match Newegg's prices.

If you are unwilling to budge from the 512MB factor, you can probably get plenty of cheapo 6200's or 7300's or X1300's for $100-$150 (they are all as fast as their 128MB variants but cost twice as much).

i know mostly software not hardware so i am kinda lost

yes i am stuck with agp which sucks because i thought the board i bought had pcie support and it doesn't ,so i am gonna have to buy a new mobo to get better features ain't i oh well thats ok also

i found this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130274

is this good

Yes, eVGA is a good brand, but currently BFG seems to be offering a much better price: $236 before rebates, and $206 after a MIR. In terms of quality eVGA and BFG are at par, so you can't go wrong with either.

The 7800GS is a good GPU, and will be quite an insane jump over your 9550. Just don't expect to get any better performance on NWN2. From what I've read on these forums, the better your hardware, the more the game screws you. :aiee:

Also, what CPU do you have? And main memory? If you're running an old CPU, the 7800 could end up being a huge overkill since you'll primarily be CPU limited.

There's also the Radeon X1950Pro for AGP. But I couldn't find it in any American online stores, for some reason.

http://www.powercolor.com/global/main_prod...tail.asp?id=137

Also, if you want to stick with the 7800GS suggestions, I'd suggest the Gainward version of the card. It uses another G70 core (G73?) that's a bit faster than any other 7800GS card on the market.

http://www.gainward.net/products/product.php?products_id=48

Unfortunately, since all my prices are in SEK (swedish currency) I don't know how much these two suggestions retail for in the US. But they're pretty cheap in Sweden, considering what you get. The Gainward is probably way too expensive.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

ok i am really liking all these cards ,but do u think i should also upgrade my mobo so i can have the pci-e capability

( from swedish to american money is no problem i could get a currency converter and figure out the price )

i am gonna upgrade my video card soon but i am on a budget of about 250 dollars i am looking for a 512 mb card that can run nwn2 and oblivion and all these great games  but the card i have now sucks its a ATI Radeon 9550 256MB 4/8 agp and it has lived passed what it is needed for ,please make some suggetions as i really have no idea what to look for and it has been a while since i really purchased anything computer hardware wise

If you are still looking for just a AGP video card, I have this one which does a fine job.

VisionTek RADEON X1600XT XGE 256MB GDDR3 AGP

Product Features 

*Avivo video and display technology allows you to connect to high-resolution displays and home entertainment devices and produces vibrant colors, sharp images and smooth video playback 

*Advanced multidisplay capability lets you connect and run 2 monitors at the same time 

*Supports Shader Model 3.0 for improved image quality 

*DirectX 9.0 support for cinema-quality images and enhanced gameplay 

*Dual DVI, S-video and composite video TV out; component HDTV out 

*XGE (Extreme Gamer Edition) designation; meets high standards for performance, features and functionality, ideal for game and Media Center enthusiasts 

*DualCool SS heat dispersion system for quiet and efficient cooling 

*Windows Vista compatible

Now if you want to wait and save your money, by a new mother board that has PCI-E slots, this way you can get a better graphics card like others have suggested here.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

If you can afford to upgrade the MOBO as well you definitely should, but then you'd also probably have to get a new CPU so it may or may not be worth it to you at this point in time.

why would i have to buy a new cpu i would buy the same socket type board for an amd 64. i should have listened to my bro i should have bought that sli/pci-e mobo i was such a noob but i guess i still am

i also think i will wait and save some more money and just upgrade the mobo and video card i appreciate all the suggestions thanks

Edited by Darth Tratious

It depends on how long ago you got your AMD 64.

AMD switched socket types for their new processors not to long ago. They way I generally do a motherboard upgrade is pick on that will last a considerable amount of time, buy something pricey. A motherboard isn't a thing to skimp on. If you want to be able to use the same motherboard you'd be better off upgrading the CPU so you had the option to upgrade in the future.

Is this clear enough or do I need to explain it differently?

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP