University Tuition Fees

Fenghuang

At Surr's request.

Basically if you are a US resident it is pretty easy to get into a University if you have a little bit of perseverence. Tuition is high, but there are grants, scholarships, and student loans you can apply for. As I said before, if you can't get any of these because of a poor academic track record or whatever, you can clean up your act at a community college for a couple of years until your transcript looks better. Community colleges can also be an attractive option, because the way it works in California at least, is students coming out of a community college get top transfer priority, i.e. if you're stacked against a newbie out of highschool with an identical transcript/qualifications to you, you're in; period. Community colleges are also hella cheap compared to universities.

I learned from a friend that came from out of the country to study at NYU that if you're foreign you apply for pretty much diddly except a few foreigner specific aid options.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Ya, the com college deal is pretty sweet. I'm taking advantage of it presently, since I never did anything in high school (I had a <2 GPA) the fact that I'm financially invested in my classes turns skipping out of class or partying too hard before tests more stupid than rebellious.

The only problem I have with college thus far is the text, which is groin-grabbingly expensive. Costs hundreds of dollars a semester, and I'm pursuing an associates'. Going after masters or doctorates would result in some serious financial ankle-grabbing. But then again, if you're smart about it, you can pull it all off with minimal debts incurred.

It's funny, I hated how expensive my textbooks were, but I use quite a few of them in my career. Granted, I was a History major and now teach that in school. But I also use a fair amount of literature books. I'm glad I sold back my Biology books though.

If you have permanent resident status or citizenship in Canada, tuition at one of the nicer universities is something like 1500-4000 a year, depending on the program. Private schools are much more expensive. It depends on the province too. Quebec is dirt cheap for example, the average tuition being around 1100 a year, while ontario I belive average is like 4000 a year. While BC and Alberta are more in the middle averaging around 2500 a year.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If you have permanent resident status or citizenship in Canada, tuition at one of the nicer universities is something like 1500-4000 a year, depending on the program. Private schools are much more expensive. It depends on the province too. Quebec is dirt cheap for example, the average tuition being around 1100 a year, while ontario I belive average is like 4000 a year. While BC and Alberta are more in the middle averaging around 2500 a year.

Quebec is dirt cheap for Quebec residents only. If you don't live in Quebec then tuition goes up higher than the $4000 average from Ontario. <_<

Rule 1 of buying books at college... use the internet. College bookstores will always gyp you on the price so you have to pay though the nose.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

My sister studied at NYU for about three times the price of attending a UK university. I don't see how that makes US college 'easy'. :bat:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Are we talking about sensible colleges here, or just ones featured in Playboy?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How much do you get say monthly for attending a college Ros?

depends on alot of things.. but it's around 900-1000 $ as soon as you turn 18 and is attending school (double if you have kids) .. although if you earn more than 500-600$ on the side (pr month) you have to pay full taxes (51%)..

That's in Denmark though.. I would imagine they get more in Sweden or Norway - since things are a bit more expensive there.

Edited by Rosbjerg

Fortune favors the bald.

Learning about all kinds of ****, it doesn't really matter, every student in the land gets paid a certain amount no matter what study he or she has chosen.

And yeah Alan, some are more difficult to get into than others, like medicine or civil engineering, however the amount of cash you get is in no way more lucrative than if you had a regular job, and you gotta be prepared to have it like this for 5-6 years, which I personally never could :rolleyes:

Edit: also there will always be some slackers just wanting to cash in, but imo they quickly get filtered out because they really don't wanna learn.

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I went to a private liberal arts university in Wisconsin. On paper, it's the most expensive in the state (tuition + room and board are around $34,500 now), but the university's endowments from wealthy trustees are enormous. My family was pretty poor, but I received ~$10,000 in grants each year and a little less than that in loans.

I've been out of school for about seven years now. I think I have about $11,000 left to pay on one set of Federal Loans and $2,000 on another. Not too bad, all things considered, but I never went to grad school.

I'm studying English(academic branch) at open university and it costs me around 4000

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Do you think it's a good thing?

I have no qualms about encouraging people to get a University degree, but I'm curious if you have more people going to University simply because.  Is it at least difficult to get into?

Yeah I actually think it's a very good thing.. mostly because it allows you to focus on your studies and let that be your job - which many of the more serious students do! they consider it work and therefore put extra effort into it .. but working a regular job with similar hours you can earn up to twice as much.. so if you are in it for the money - well then you are an idiot! ^_^

But it's not easier to get in .. you have to have a certain grade to be admitted.. so there is a filtering process - but even the poorest kid can attend college, if he's smart enough.. and that's a really good thing imo!

What are they learning about? And do they stay in the country, or is there a braindrain?

What they are learning about? I don't know what you mean .. it's College - there's like a thousand different classes..

The braindrain is a starting trend, yeah.. but our goverment is trying very hard to stop it .. mostly it's because of the high taxes! when you reach a certain income threshold you have to pay 60% ... but then again, in our own way we are very patriotic - so alot of them stay in spite of it..

Fortune favors the bald.

but even the poorest kid can attend college, if he's smart enough.. and that's a really good thing imo!

Though the same could still be said for our schools. Though unless they are exceptionally smart and get everything funded by scholarships, they may have to take out some student loans or something. Though if they are exceptionally poor, they'll undoubtedly qualify for the bursaries which are handed out based on financial need. THere's also plenty of smaller scholarships that are handed out more liberally that make things easier.

As for the hours, I'm not sure if them seeing it as a job is any better or worse. They'll work harder, but in my own personal experiences I worked harder at university when I had some personal financial investment in it. I imagine that this is a bit of a wash, and probably cancel each other out.

The biggest benefit of your system is that people would not be coming out of school with any student loan debt.