Playstation 3 a bargain?

mkreku

I was searching for a tidbit about the Playstation 3 that we argued about on these forums a while back, but then I ended up reading a bunch of old threads and forgot what I was looking for.. But it wasn't entirely fruitless! I found this post, by our very own profit Epiphany, that I thought was kind of funny in hindsight:

Yet, continually, as more information is released regarding the X360/PS3, I'm proven correct.

He starts off strong with this bold claim (we'll ignore his DirectX 10 debacle for now)..

Well, the proof is in the pudding, and the simple fact of the matter is Bethesda made it publicly known time and time again, that every console that could handle Oblivion would get it - Guess what, it's X360 exclusive.

..and a few lines later in the post comes this claim: Oblivion is Xbox 360 exclusive!

I think it's common knowledge by now that Oblivion will indeed come to the Playstation 3.

The only prediction/opinion I was proven wrong on (and not even by you people), was when I said that MS would most likely put HD-DVD drives in the X360 before launch, and that decision would be made in late August.

Because he was so clearly proven wrong earlier in the same post I thought this last little paragraph was hilarious. :))

Ahem.. back to searching! :thumbsup:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

When I first heard the PS3 would be able to run Linux as an Operating System, it never really hit me what kind of possibilities there would be. I didn't think about it, I guess.

Now that all of this news is hitting...I'm totally shocked. Sony's answer to Xbox Live isn't just a free online plan with a unified login and a marketplace...it's giving you Linux. Real Linux. That can emulate Windows. That can pretty much do anything. :lol:

This is great news to me. Sony are geniuses for doing this.

And yeah, it sucks that it won't be released in Europe until next year, but I don't know why you'd want a boycott over it. The supply should be a bit higher, you probably won't have to deal with all the Ebayers, a lot of the defects will be worked out, along with (most likely) most of the minor issues the PS3 is currently having.

Europe got the PS2 after the US and Japan too, I think. Honestly I think Microsoft sorta spoiled everyone with that worldwide launch. I know Sony planned it...but with only less than 500,000 units, releasing in Europe wouldn't have done much. You wouldn't have a PS3 right now even if they did, I don't think, due to such limited quantities. Just look at the bright side dude, when it does come out over there you'll have more games (*GOOD* games haha) and less problems to deal with.

And yeah, it sucks that it won't be released in Europe until next year, but I don't know why you'd want a boycott over it.

I am perfectly aware of all the benefits we get from letting the rest of the world act as beta-testers for us. But it's that horrible attitude that Sony has against Europe that makes my buttocks itch. They even said, "Europe doesn't mind waiting, they'll buy it anyhow", which is true.. I just wish we could prove Sony wrong and NOT buy it whenever they deem us worthy of purchasing their high flying product.

Another reason for a boycott would be the fact that not only do they (Sony) let us wait longer, they also translate the prices directly from $ to

If by bargin they mean shabby games that actually run worse than their 360 counterparts, a lack luster launch line-up, horrible online service, and a controller that needed drastic remodeling, then yeah, it's a bargin.

PS3 am fail.

Wow, were you trying to make the MOST TROLLISH post seen on the forum since ... well, you last posted? ^_^

Stating facts equals trolling now? Interesting.

So then you've played a PS3 and the majority of the games for it? The controller remodeling and "lack luster launch line-up" are completely opinion.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

The PS3 launch is just as good as the X Box 360 launch.  Neither had anything worthwhile.  Of course X Box 360 has been out for 1 year and still doesn't have anything worthwhile.

Minus Gears of War, GRAW, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Hitman: Blood Money and a bunch of others.

Just because a game isn't worthwhile to you, doesn't make it worthwhile for everyone else.

Edited by Krookie

See mkreku, sometimes finding old posts and doing some digging CAN be fun.

You're well on your way to becoming like me!

My favourites are still:

There is no GPU in the PS1 or PS2, all graphical opperations are done via the CPU. That's where the whole "emotion engine" came from, regarding the PS2. The emotion engine is part of the CPU - which is not a GPU.

I believe there is far more code than simple "choice" strings that create a fully dynamic and robust AI.
Edited by alanschu

Well, for me personally, the games available for the Xbox 360 stinks. I've already played Oblivion on my PC, and then what? If I want a really good RPG for the Xbox 360, what should I get?

Also, I like good sandbox games (a la GTA). What's there for me to play?

There are plenty of FPS's on the Xbox 360, but only one (of the really good ones, and it's a third person shooter) is Xbox 360 exclusive. Which is good, because I really think shooters are more fun with WASD + mouse anyhow.

The Playstation 3 is in an even worse situation, game wise. But that'll have changed once it's released in Europe sometime next year.

By the way, I thought this was kind of funny:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155480

Wii had the crappiest launch games of the three new ones?! :thumbsup:

Edit: speeling.

Edited by mkreku

A game system is only as good as the games on it. So far none of the consoles look all that appealing to me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

And they would play better on the PC aswell, GoW with the 360 controller was just awkward and messy

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, since all I needed was patience to play Jade Empire I am going to wait for JE2 and ME come on PC, which they will eventually do.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Alright I got my PS3 via UPS yesterday. I don't have any games for it yet, but I guess I'll give some first impressions on my experience with setting everything up and the Motorstorm Demo.

Setting up the PS3 is very, very, very easy. The main PS3 interface is actually very simple and intuitive. I thought it would be difficult, judging from some peoples opinions, but it was in fact very simple. Everything has a graphical picture which represents the area it leads to. You navigate by going left and right to select the area you wish to go to (Music, Display, Game, Movie, etc), then up and down to go through the subcategories. Pretty easy.

Downloading updates and demos takes a long time. It took me about 10 minutes to download and install the latest PS3 update, and about 20 minutes to download and install the Motorstorm demo. It's really not that slow, and considering you don't have to pay any sort of fee to use the service, I suppose it's adequate. The main problem I have with that is you can't do anything else while it's downloading. I guess when a PS3 update comes, it's time to go hop in the shower or grab a sandwich or something. :brows:

Motorstorm looks okay. It's nothing graphically overpowering. It didn't make me go "Wow!" or anything. It really wasn't all that fun to play, though. I don't even know how to say it. The game's probably going to suck.

The motion sensing in Motorstorm is fun for a few seconds, but it doesn't really work too well. It could work, I think, but it just isn't optimized. It's just too sensitive. Plus, swaying the controller back and forth kind of gets irritating after a while. I think the best thing gaming devs can do with the motion sensing is just implement minor features to help immerse you in the game, instead of giving you full on "gameplay experiences" using it to control your guy. The motion sensing with Motorstorm is optional, and I turned it off after a while. Maybe it'll be better when the game's released, I know it's a few months off.

The PS3 controller is lighter than the PS2's, but it doesn't really feel "cheap". It's exactly the same as the PS2's, except that L2 and R2 are trigger buttons now. I'll say this now...

I DO NOT LIKE THESE TRIGGER BUTTONS. My finger constantly slipped off of them. They felt uncomfortable. There's no "up slide" at the back of it to hold your finger on it and keep it from slipping off. The angle is strange. I just don't like them at all. It probably isn't so bad if you use it as a trigger in say, a shooting game, but in a game like Motorstorm where you have to hold it down practically the entire time (as it's the main acceleration), it's awful. I don't like the trigger buttons at all. Some people love them though...we'll see I guess.

The last thing I (briefly) looked at was the PS3's browser. I only messed with it once, but it pissed me off. I tried to go to gamespot.com, and it wouldn't go. So I tried to go to rpgamer.com and my PS3 froze completely. Bleh.

I watched a Blu-Ray movie, Space Cowboys, and it looked great!

So, in retrospect...good interface, crappy browser, crappy trigger buttons on the otherwise flawless (my opinion) tried and true PS2 controller converted to uber PS3 wireless omgz0rzness, Blu-Ray plays great, system runs completely silent, touch buttons for ejecting disks and turning the PS3 on make it "cool" (Don't ask), the Chrome Trim and shiny surface are sexy as hell. Until you touch it. Then it's a fingerprint magnet. :brows:

I really need a game to try out on it. All in all, I can see the potential the PS3 has. There's some minor problems I have though. The biggest being those freakin trigger buttons.

Edit: Oh, PSN ID. Mine is: Incinerat3. If any of you Obsidian / Old School Black Isle Fans happen to be on Resistance later today, hit me up.

Edited by TravisPennington

I was searching for a tidbit about the Playstation 3 that we argued about on these forums a while back, but then I ended up reading a bunch of old threads and forgot what I was looking for.. But it wasn't entirely fruitless! I found this post, by our very own profit Epiphany, that I thought was kind of funny in hindsight:

Yet, continually, as more information is released regarding the X360/PS3, I'm proven correct.

He starts off strong with this bold claim (we'll ignore his DirectX 10 debacle for now)..

Well, the proof is in the pudding, and the simple fact of the matter is Bethesda made it publicly known time and time again, that every console that could handle Oblivion would get it - Guess what, it's X360 exclusive.

..and a few lines later in the post comes this claim: Oblivion is Xbox 360 exclusive!

I think it's common knowledge by now that Oblivion will indeed come to the Playstation 3.

The only prediction/opinion I was proven wrong on (and not even by you people), was when I said that MS would most likely put HD-DVD drives in the X360 before launch, and that decision would be made in late August.

Because he was so clearly proven wrong earlier in the same post I thought this last little paragraph was hilarious. :))

Ahem.. back to searching! :brows:

How is my comment on Oblivion wrong? Oh yeah, it's not. Bethesda said time and time again that every console that could handle it would get it. - It was 360 exclusive, they continually claimed so, and then got it up and running on the PS3. How is that comment wrong?

Dig up quotes, I couldn't care less, but I've been right the vast majority of the time. Multiplatform games are better on the 360, be it by color contrast or by framerate/stability. I constantly said 360 games would be better, or equal to PS3 games. Hell, even 1up's "What the cell is going on?" article is an utter mockery of what Sony claimed the PS3 would be, versus what it actually turned out to be.

The hardware is almost a joke - the lack of unified memory will cripple the system. Epic (who is a multiplatform developer) has already said the 360 runs the UE3 better than the PS3, and that Gears of War would be impossible to run on the PS3 due to its lack of memory.

Online is better on the 360, as Sony's free service doesn't even begin to compare to the quality of Live. Nothing is global and everything is slapped together. Sony was so sloppy with their online component that some games had to have online support completely removed - THPS 8 for instance.

No hardware scaler? LOL - I guess Sony is still waiting to let everyone play in HD - since it (next-gen) was supposed to start when they said so.

I fully understand that most of the people here are anti Xbox/MS, that's fine and no big deal. I'll continue to post, and I'll continue to be here to laugh and chuckle when another PS3 failing comes to light.

Dig up more quotes though, it saves you from actually participating in the topic itself.

Oh and you wanted games, but can't "find" anything good on the 360?

Sandbox = Just Cause and Saints Row [GTA 4 with exclusive episodic content next year]

RPG = Oblivion and Enchanted Arms - [blue Dragon (9/9/9/10 in Famitsu and second most wanted game in Japan - per a Famitsu poll), Lost Odyssey, Fable 2, Infinite Undiscovery, Eternal Sonata, and Mass Effect next year (except perhaps Fable 2)]

Edited by Fionavar

The problem is that any CRPG coming out or is out on the X Box 360 that I want or will want to play is also on or eventually be on the PC. Why get a X Box 360 then?

Because you could stop upgrading your PC every time a game comes out. Buy a $400 console and you're set for 5 years.

The majority of my games that I play are on the PC.

Because you could stop upgrading your PC every time a game comes out. Buy a $400 console and you're set for 5 years.

So a bunch of games developed for a static platform will DEMAND upgraded specs on a PC?

I'm playing NwN2 on a three year old laptop; the only imperative to upgrade remains personal whim.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So a bunch of games developed for a static platform will DEMAND upgraded specs on a PC?

I'm playing NwN2 on a three year old laptop; the only imperative to upgrade remains personal whim.

I disagree. Very few games are optimized for the lowest-common denominator. Most PC games are designed to run well only on the latest hardware configurations and provide a sub-par gaming experience on older machines. Some are very well made in that you can experience most of the content as the developer intended even on slightly dated hardware, but if you have a new system you will get additional bells-and-whistles and eye candy that enhance your experience. HL2 and Guild Wars are two such games. I can't think of many other games that use this philosophy. Most are designed to provide a satisfactory experience only with "recommended" configurations.