Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playstation 3 a bargain?

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

I think the idea angshuman was talking about was that if the kernel is Linux-based, it'd be part of the numerous open-source licenses, such as the GPL, that Linux is distributed under.

Yes, but they don't have to modify the kernel source. Chances are that what they need is drivers for PS3-specific hardware. If implemented as loadable kernel modules, GPLing the code can be avoided. It is the practice used by many embedded Linux vendors.

As far as I know, there's nothing "Linux-based" about the closed-source driver that nVidia makes, outside of the fact that it's designed for Linux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is not that simple actually. There is a lot of controversy whether a kernel loadable module is a part of the kernel or not, because it "interacts with kernel in a very intimate manner" [Linus Torvalds]. I haven't been following this debate for a couple of years now, so I can't tell what's happening today.

Edited by Diamond, 19 January 2007 - 01:44 AM.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Linus has swapped sides recently, too, hasn't he? (Isolating him from the community he created.)

karka

karka

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1818 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
What about getting $840 worth for $840?

http://www.eurogamer...rticle_id=72194

Edited by karka, 24 January 2007 - 03:41 PM.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
While at Eurogamer I found this article:

http://www.eurogamer...rticle_id=72081

>_<

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts

What about getting $840 worth for $840?

http://www.eurogamer...rticle_id=72194

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but an equivalent PC would cost 800 anyway. This is is just rip off Britain. *shrugs*

As far as the exchange rate is concerned... its unfortunate timing.

Edited by Surreptishus, 24 January 2007 - 04:13 PM.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Yes, but the Brits gave us Bonnie Langford so they deserve to get ripped off. >_<

Edited by Sand, 24 January 2007 - 04:09 PM.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
The Playstation 3 seems to be having a few serious problems:

Sadly what he has said is something that anyone who knows me on these forums will know I have warned about ever since I began doing work on PS3 (I contract so sony can't really slap me with an NDA as I'm not affiliated with them, only certain projects I can't mention ha!).

The PS3 is great for small projects due to the hard and fast memory split, which doesn't hamper casual games.

PS3 needs to stream content for anything larger like resistance or motorstorm and as I've mentioned before, blue-ray is no good at that full stop. As a result we had to compress the sh** out of all graphics and then uncompress on the fly, before moving the uncompressed stuff to graphics memory and...yep we get framerate issues!

This will be true of any PS3 project. We are getting better at arranging the data on blue-ray to facilitate efficient streaming but, can do jack about the slow seek speeds of the disk drive itself. No wonder the British devs have been gagged. In the circles I move in we were all more than vocal about the crap sony have handed to developers.

It really does feel like they made a blue-ray player and then though oh heck it's supposed to play games too isn't it! The cell can actually play a blue-ray disk without even accessing the gpu so maybe this is why they thought the cell was all powerful. Not realising that de-compressing blue-ray movies and reading a disk serially is not what a games oriented processor needs to do! For games it's all about the texture storage, ai based on branching instructions, good predictive branching in short almost the opposite of what an spu does well.

Developers almost without exception (it depends on the game you write) have scaled up their projects from the proof of concepts that you see at shows like E3 (well did see anyway) simply don't fit into PS3 memory and then stall once you try to stream the data from the disk. Haveing done this myself, I bet there are developers at most PS3 software houses who have had to go to their boss and say "Er you know we said march, well er...no way that's happening. We couldn't get the big track to perform above 30fps when we streamed the data for it and did all the compression/decompression etc. etc. for the realtime game and 1080p er unless everything fits into 256mb of graphics memory well forget that too!".

For the record the 256mb for data is not a real restriction yet. I've yet to work on anything that was above about 100mb or so for actual game code (usually less than that even)

Looks like Epiphany might have been right about one thing.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts
Why a hard disk can't be used for temp texture files? Or PS3 doesn't have one?

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I was thinking about that too. I mean PS3 comes with either 60gb or 20gb HD.

Edited by kirottu, 26 January 2007 - 02:30 AM.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Or even some flash memory ... :blink:"

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
clickie

PS3 Launched 23 March in UK: Official.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
This was news to me: the Playstation 3 does indeed have a very secret hardware scaler!

Apparently it's just their SDK that's not up to snuff. Yet.

http://www.beyond3d....cles/ps3scaler/

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Things are looking brighter for the Playstation 3's future:

"In terms of Cell on 65nm, Yuhara said only that production is presently underway."

"Yuhara indicated seperately that as of December, blue laser diode yields have improved greatly..."

Source: http://www.beyond3d....x.php#news38360

I also read today that a new firmware update will allow the Playstation 3 to do background downloading, just like the Xbox 360:

Source: http://www.eurogamer...rticle_id=72821

The Playstation 3 is shaping up. Hidden potential and all that crap that Epiphany so vehemently denies.

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts

Things are looking brighter for the Playstation 3's future:

"In terms of Cell on 65nm, Yuhara said only that production is presently underway."

"Yuhara indicated seperately that as of December, blue laser diode yields have improved greatly..."

Source: http://www.beyond3d....x.php#news38360

I also read today that a new firmware update will allow the Playstation 3 to do background downloading, just like the Xbox 360:

Source: http://www.eurogamer...rticle_id=72821

The Playstation 3 is shaping up. Hidden potential and all that crap that Epiphany so vehemently denies.

What is the advantage of 65nm? Will that make it more power efficient and produce less heat?

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yes.

karka

karka

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1818 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
And also it means more dice(cutted chips) per wafer. This reduces production costs.

aVENGER

aVENGER

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 392 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

PlayStation 3 in Europe will play fewer old games
"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," a Sony spokesman said. PlayStation 3 (PS3) was first launched in Japan and North America in November and the model that will be introduced in Europe will be designed differently. Software will take over some of the functionality that was originally taken care of by dedicated chips, which means far fewer PlayStation 2 (PS2) games can be played on a European PS3 compared with the Japanese and American PS3 models which play 98 percent of old games.

Click here to read more.

What the hell? It costs more (as usual) and actually does less than the US version? With PS3 games being region-free, I really don't see why anyone should buy the EU version instead of importing the US one.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Wow, that's crap. Too bad they don't mention any numbers as to how many fewer games the EU version will play. And most importantly, which games are being axed? I want my God of War 1 & 2, Okami, Final Fantasy XII, Rogue Galaxy, Dragon Quest 8, Burnout 3, Singstar bundles and so on to remain intact!

Surreptishus

Surreptishus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1347 posts
Personally, I maintain that backwards compatibility is an extraneous feature, so I am pretty nonplussed to see it diminished in the European PS3.

What I would like to know is if the savings will be passed on to the consumer or just used to soak up the loss incurred for each unit.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

What I would like to know is if the savings will be passed on to the consumer or just used to soak up the loss incurred for each unit.

Well.. Considering that the average European has to pay $850-900+ for a Playstation 3.. What do you think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users