Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Playstation 3 a bargain?

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Well, that's reassuring, but there is still some (though apparently not much) resource cost involved ... even though the XBox 360 uses ATi's Xenos graphics technology, for example, but Microsoft still has to pay nVidia a fee for every box sold as a licence royalty for Xbox games.

Backward compatibility

Sony stated every PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game that observes its respective system's TRC (Technical Requirements Checklist) will be playable on PS3 at launch. SCE president Ken Kutaragi asked developers to adhere to the TRC to facilitate compatibility with future PlayStations, stating that the company was having some difficulty getting backward compatibility with games that had not followed the TRCs. It has been confirmed (image) that initial PS3 units include the CPU/rasterizer combination chip used in slim PS2 (EE+GS) to achieve backward compatibility.[41]

The PlayStation 3 does not include interfaces for legacy PlayStation devices, though IGN.com tested a legacy controller using a PS2-to-USB adapter, finding that it is compatible, though most other devices (such as the Guitar Hero controller) may not be compatible.[42] USB devices for PlayStation 2 may be compatible with PlayStation 3. The PS3 supports both the USB Eye Toy camera/webcam and SOCOM Headset for video and voice chat. A memory card adapter is available so users can save their PS/PS2 data on to a virtual memory card in the hard drive.[43] The PlayStation 3 can also use Memory Sticks to store save data for PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software.[44]

At least 3% of the games from the previous generations of the PlayStation had problems at launch such as dropped audio[45], freezes or controller malfunction[46]. Popular games reported to have this glitch include Final Fantasy, Tekken 5, and Gran Turismo. As of 16 November 2006, a firmware upgrade has been posted online by Sony that is intended to address some of these issues.[47]

In addition, the backward compatibility function is not region-free[48] and as of this moment there are no known homebrew hacks/patches to solve this issue.

Backward compatibility

For more details on this topic, see List of Xbox games compatible with Xbox 360.

Backward compatibility is achieved through software emulation of the original Xbox. Emulated games offer graphical enhancements because they are rendered in 720p, 1080i, or 1080p resolution with anti-aliasing enabled rather than the Xbox standard of 480p.[34] Some games also benefit from an improvement in the rendered draw distance, possibly due to the system's greater memory bandwidth. However there are also games that do not perform well in emulation; these often exhibit a lower framerate on the Xbox 360.[39] A hard drive and the downloading of an emulation profile is needed in order to play original Xbox games. Updated emulation profiles can be obtained through Xbox Live, by burning a CD with profiles downloaded from Xbox.com, or by ordering an update disc from Microsoft.[40] The full list of backward-compatible games is maintained at Xbox.com. Although the current U.S. list includes 298 games (about 30% of the total Xbox game library, as of the December 14, 2006 update); fewer titles are backward compatible in European and Japanese markets, with 295 and 71 titles respectively.[41] Microsoft has stated that they intend to release more emulation profiles as they become available, with a goal of making the entire Xbox library playable on the Xbox 360. They have since made multiple statements indicating that this may never be complete, and the rate of updates to the backwards compatibility list is in line with this stated attitude.[42]

Watchman

Watchman

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 163 posts
I made a guess as to the future of the game concoles success at the end of November.

I was guessing that the Wii would have a great start but that it would fade fast as the Wii controler became "some old gimmick" Also contributing to this is the weak performance of the Wii. It is still a last gen console.

The PS3 would have a very bad start. You will not hear much of anything about it for most of 2007. Only by the end of 2007 will it take root in the gaming world. The reason? It will be a match between the 360 and the PS3. PS3 being newer will help, able to generate better graphics than the 360 will too. It biggest slow will be time to learn how to program it and use that power. Once that is handled it will out perform the 360 and just look better - a major reason for success. After that it will have 2 years to stand next to the 360 and ot shine it. Still it will most likely never overtake the 360 for the rest of its life.

360 has it made. At the time the others were being released some games that would do well were being released for the 360 giving it the permanent hold it needed before the others had even managed to sell one console. I think that Microsolt will stick to their promise to get the 720 out by 2009. I think the 360 will hold its own until the 720 comes along. But not without some hardware help by Microsolt to keep it from being antiquated by the PS3.

There you go, a little late but that is my prediction.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
I believe you may be right. Eurogamer ( http://www.eurogamer.net ) had a series of articles just recently where they looked at the upcoming games for all consoles during 2007. The easily best looking list of games was the one for Xbox 360. It has something like 12 exclusives and among them are Bioshock, Mass Effect and.. some other huge title I've forgotten right now. The Playstation 3 had something like 10 exclusives, but even though they were more diverse than the Xbox 360's equivalents, they didn't seem as interesting as the ones previously mentioned. The Wii.. Well, the list is like five games long and I really think the motion sensing controller is a gimmick. The Wii is just a pumped up, over priced Gamecube.

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
I went to Target today and they had like, 5 PS3s, and I was kind of suprised.

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
My town sucks. There isn't a Wii or a Playstation 3 anywhere within city limits.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

.. some other huge title I've forgotten right now.

:lol:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
It's starting to move..

http://www.keshi.org...PS3/Debian/Live

and

http://www.gentoo.or...base/ppc64/ps3/

Both versions still very basic, but they're up and running now.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Okay, you can put Linux on PS3. Is there any practical reason to do this beyond the cool factor?

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Application development is very convenient on a GNU/Linux platform (completely my biased opinion, of course). For people that want to write, distribute and share homebrew apps such as games, media frontends and encoders/decoders, a familiar and powerful platform is a huge deal.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It certainly does seem that many think that way. My tool is used in Windows, but all of our development is done on Linux.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Okay, that is a definite plus. If we could put Linux on the PS3 is there other OSes that could be installed or is Linux based material is it?

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
I think the distributed development methodology would be very conducive for multithreading, too. ;)

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Okay, I am convinced that I should, at some point, get a Playstation 3. Probably right after I get myself a HDTV and do a serious system upgrade for my PC.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Okay, that is a definite plus.  If we could put Linux on the PS3 is there other OSes that could be installed or is Linux based material is it?

I believe Yellow Dog Linux (the "official" PS3 Linux distro) co-exists peacefully with the PS3 primary dashboard OS, and you can choose to boot either of the OS's during startup.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Okay, I am convinced that I should, at some point, get a Playstation 3.  Probably right after I get myself a HDTV and do a serious system upgrade for my PC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I think the HDTV is the priority for me too. Nothing less than 40 inch. And at the rate prices are going down you'll probably be able to get a decent 40-50 inch HDTV for under a grand by next christmas.

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

I believe Yellow Dog Linux (the "official" PS3 Linux distro) co-exists peacefully with the PS3 primary dashboard OS, and you can choose to boot either of the OS's during startup.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It has an OS other than Yellow Dog Linux? I was under the impression PS3 was running it exclusively.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
IIRC the primary PS3 Dashboard's kernel is also Linux-based (although I don't understand how they can get away with not distributing the source code). YDL is a full-featured Linux distribution that you can install and dual-boot into.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
It would be cool if we could install Windows on a PS3. If we could do that I would then ship it to Bill Gates. HA!

Diamond

Diamond

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1454 posts

(although I don't understand how they can get away with not distributing the source code).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably the same way NVidia distributes its closed-source Linux driver.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I think the idea angshuman was talking about was that if the kernel is Linux-based, it'd be part of the numerous open-source licenses, such as the GPL, that Linux is distributed under.

As far as I know, there's nothing "Linux-based" about the closed-source driver that nVidia makes, outside of the fact that it's designed for Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users