Playstation 3 a bargain?

mkreku

According to Jonathan Cassell over at Isupply.com, the Playstation 3 is a bargain, considering what's hidden beneath that fingerprint-magnet of a plastic shell that is the Playstation 3.

"With the PlayStation 3, you are getting the performance of a supercomputer at the price of an entry-level PC,

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

According to Jonathan Cassell over at Isupply.com, the Playstation 3 is a bargain, considering what's hidden beneath that fingerprint-magnet of a plastic shell that is the Playstation 3.

Source: http://www.isupply.com/news/default.asp?id=6919&m=11&y=2006

I'm still not getting one when it's released in Europe. I actually hope that the entire EU decides to boycott the Playstation 3 because of the decision to delay it in Europe. Not likely to happen, but one can dream.

Thats how its always been. :lol: At least this way we will get PS3s without some of the problems currently experienced such as the HDMI and resolution problem.

As for the article, the loss leader model isn't new but $240 sure does sound like a good saving. By contrast I think it only costs MS $400 per 360.

It doesn't matter what's under that hood, if the games don't take advantage of the possibilities it offers it's all wasted.

If PS3 games are innovating, original, clever and, most of all, fun, then maybe they'll get my hard-earned money. As of now, the only game that I would, maybe, get a PS3 for is Oblivion and I won't pay 600$+ for better FPS over my low-end PC.

Right now I see Wii games taking full advantage of those possibilities(for better or worse) and since Nintendo had the good sense to provide a decent amount of consoles for the consumers, I feel they deserve more of my money than Sony does.

Well, I must say I'm a bit interested:

PS3 running Fedora Linux:

There's also an article (in japanese) about a guy who managed to start Windows XP (through an emulator) on the Playstation 3.

Seems you can do a lot of fun stuff already! We'll see in a few months how much it's really possible to do with it. Emulators of all sorts are already up and running.

He described some of the real cons of PS3.

Doesn't make him less of a troll though.

Ars Technica Review (Conclusion)

Overall, I am impressed with the system's potential. The graphics power is there and once developers have had the time to tap into it, things should change a bit. In fact, I think we'll see great things from the second generation of games from the PS3. Combine that with a few software upgrades, better HD scaling, and a major overhaul of the online system and you can go ahead and add two points to the current score, three if Sony really delivers with the udpates. The hardware is solid, and the games are only going to get better, but the software implementation leaves a lot to be desired; the score reflects the PlayStation 3 as it exists now.

The Good

• The hardware looks great, and runs nearly silently and very cool

• Wireless controller is light and feels great

• Great-looking Blu-ray movie playback

• Price is low for a Bluy-ray player

• A lot of multimedia options

• Solid backwards compatibility

The Bad

• Terrible online store

• Slow, unituitive browser

• No background downloading

• Games continue to play even if you eject the disc; you have to manually restart the UI via the controller

• Messy UI

• HD scaler doesn't work right

• Price is high for a video game console

• No rumble, controller loses sync with system sometimes; little game support for motion-sensing features

• Uninspired launch lineup

The Ugly

• Knowing that no one is actually playing this thing, every system is waiting in a box somewhere for the eBay profit

6.gif

Edited by Diamond

I think it's hard to rate any console until you get the 2nd generation of games. Right now is a good time to review the Xbox360. They've developed a lineup of games, and even have a few platform unique titles that weren't thrown together for launch. The UI has been patched a few times and upgraded as well.

The PS3 needs about a year to get its bearings. Heck, the PS2 didn't really hit its stride until about 2 years in.

I think it's hard to rate any console until you get the 2nd generation of games.  Right now is a good time to review the Xbox360.  They've developed a lineup of games, and even have a few platform unique titles that weren't thrown together for launch.  The UI has been patched a few times and upgraded as well.

The PS3 needs about a year to get its bearings.  Heck, the PS2 didn't really hit its stride until about 2 years in.

When you have a company that hyped their product to such a degree that they failed to deliver on nearly every aspect, then yes, they should be judged from day one. Sony spent too much effort downplaying the 360, and claiming they were "real" next gen - utter failure. It was an abysmal launch for an overhyped and underwhelming console. They held on to it for a full year and never once looked at what MS did right/wrong, they just kept the blinders on and pushed forward without realizing just how FUBAR their system was.

Sounds like the X Box 360 launch, Epiph. LOL :thumbsup:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

By the way: the best value for money right now would be the cheaper version of the Playstation 3. The only thing that differs from the 60GB version is that the cheaper version lacks built-in wireless network capabilities (which I don't have and I'm sure a lot of other people don't have) and has a smaller harddrive. BUT (Yes, it's a big but) you can connect ANY 2.5 inch SATA harddrive you buy! So if you buy the biggest, meanest harddrive on the market, you can instantly add it to your console! You don't have to wait for Microsoft to sell you one of their extremely overpriced ones, like you have to with the Xbox 360.

In Sweden, you can get a Hitachi Travelstar 7K100 100GB 7200RPM SATA 2,5" for the same prize as Microsoft is selling their 20GB Xbox 360 harddrive.

I couldn't find the specs for the Xbox 360 hd, but I know that the ones that come with the Playstation 3 are 5400RPM ones, so getting that Hitachi wouldn't only mean more storage, it would also mean better performance.

Edit: forgot the keyword "wireless"!

Edited by mkreku

Gizmodo collected a bunch of hardware reviews (Xbox 360 vs. Wii vs. Playstation 3):

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/feature/giz...ttle-216581.php

1. Wii

2. Xbox 360

3. Playstation 3

The Wii is off to a great start.

If by bargin they mean shabby games that actually run worse than their 360 counterparts, a lack luster launch line-up, horrible online service, and a controller that needed drastic remodeling, then yeah, it's a bargin.

PS3 am fail.

Wow, were you trying to make the MOST TROLLISH post seen on the forum since ... well, you last posted? ^_^

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

5400 RPM? Man, that is sluggish.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Or, if you're a computer wiz, you could always beat this challenge and win a Playstation 3 with a 160 GB hd, a HDMI-cable, the game Resistance: Fall of Man and a Linux Fedora preinstalled thingie:

http://ps3.shimpinomori.net/index_en.html

All you have to do is hack the Playstation 3 (which is currently the machine powering the site!) and replace one picture with another, found in the root of the Playstation 3's file system. Kind of neat.

If by bargin they mean shabby games that actually run worse than their 360 counterparts, a lack luster launch line-up, horrible online service, and a controller that needed drastic remodeling, then yeah, it's a bargin.

PS3 am fail.

Wow, were you trying to make the MOST TROLLISH post seen on the forum since ... well, you last posted? ^_^

Stating facts equals trolling now? Interesting.

Preliminary analysis indicates that server's locked up pretty tight, I'm impressed. Three real ports open all running services that are pretty unhackable, lots of fake ports. With the exclusion of DOS based attacks and unisolated attacks breaking in is going to be a pain.

More to come after sleep.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

PS3 am fail.

Stating facts equals trolling now? Interesting.

No, using deliberately inflamatory language with the aim to denigrate and/or cause injury is trolling. :lol:)

Shabby games? You certainly won't be on any game developers' Christmas lists. And I wouldn't be bragging about the Xbox 360's launch titles, either.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The PS3 launch is just as good as the X Box 360 launch. Neither had anything worthwhile. Of course X Box 360 has been out for 1 year and still doesn't have anything worthwhile.

Who cares what kind of release titles the Xbox 360 had? That was a year ago and this time, at the same time the Playstation 3 is semi-released, it has Gears of War. I see no point in comparing year old titles with today's titles, as it's what here right now that counts. And the Xbox 360 sure has Playstation 3 beat right now. Or is anyone going to try to claim that Resistance: Fall of Man can compete with Unreal Engine 3-powered Gears of War? Not I.

Right now, the Xbox 360 is in a clear and indisputable lead. The good thing for Sony is that they'll be having the same sharp increase in quality (of services, hardware failure rates and software) as Microsoft has had in their first year. By the time Playstation 3 launches in Europe (said to be in March 207, but I doubt it) the comparison will be more interesting to make.

Since the Playstation 3 is more difficult to code for, I expect the games to lag behind for quite a while, but once they tap into the hardware and manage to extract the power within (which I believe is greater than that of the Xbox 360), I suspect the most spectacular looking games might come out on the Playstation 3.

I'll wait with the PS3 for the following reasons:

1. I'm from europe. No PS3 here until march 2007 the earliest (summer seems more likely)

2. No Heavenly Sword, no F1, no Motorstorm, no Final Fantasy, no Metal Gear Solid and no other RPG at the moment either.

3. No need for the "next-generation" features such as HD and Blu-Ray when you you don't care about buying a HDTV in the near future.

Xbox360 has GoW, but it doesn't interest me. Wii FTW!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy