Wii reviews: Zelda, Wii Sports & Trauma Center

kumquatq3

The more info I get about this Zelda game, the more i want to get a wii. Ouch my wallet! >_<

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I think I will just wait till the Wii gets the DVD feature. I am not sure if its worth it though. We have so many dvd-players at home and we barely use them.

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The more info I get about this Zelda game, the more i want to get a wii. Ouch my wallet!  :o

Funny thing, today I had the chance to try out a Wii for the first time, along with a Twilight Princess demo. The demo was rigged to play two scenarios, a sort of training area and fishing. After selecting the manly option, I was tossed the newfangled thingy controller type.

Whoa.

It was kind of hard at first managing the two separate bits, but I managed somewhat. Making a swiping motion will have Link drawing his sword, while quick motions to the sides will make him slash forth in a combo style similar to Ocarina of Time. On the other hand, a frantic left and right wiggle will trigger his spin attack. The pointer portion, by the way, has a nice wrist holder so you can grab it without worring about it falling.

I trudged on and was ocasionally interrupted by what seemed to be an Imp playing the part of Navi, that of the inquisitive and action-breaking reminder for those with short attention span. The lock on system and sword swipes were tested on a nearby scarecrow, with the bow being used against another one on a high place. There were some box lifting and throwing, swimming and minor combat. The combat was standard fare although to be honest I took one or two hits while trying to adapt to the pointer. It's all just a matter of getting used to since the blows were direct results of a different button placement than that of a standard gamepad.

Unfortunately I couldn't try much else since I was in a hurry but it felt the same old familiar Zelda, with only the controlling device getting a bit used to. I can't say the sword fighting felt satisfactory, though: I tried swinging the damn thing quickly to see if Link would do the same but he was slow to respond, up to a point where he just stood there because he didn't register my motion. I suspect that I should move my hand in a preset speed so he can register them but if that is the case then it felt too slow.

I may buy Twilight Princess for the Gamecube instead.

If I buy a wii, i will make sure to buy the classic gamepad too. I won't last long with that freakish remote control...

Edited by ramza

I can't wait until they start expanding the Wii's games into the survival horror zone of gaming.  :p"

You don't say.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

The classic gamepad is really just for the Virtual console. So one would be crippling oneself by trying to use it for a Wii game.

And Super Smash Bros. Brawl. :brows:)

Actually, the Wii has slots for 4 GC controllers and memory cards. The next Smash Bros will be designed for the GC controller. if you have a gc controller, I doubt the classic controller will be needed.

Much like what Nintendo offered up in Brain Age, Wii Sports has a Wii Fitness mode, where you can test yourself at a variety of sports. You're evaluated on your performance and given a fitness age based on your speed, stamina and balance. There's a monthly calendar that will plot your progress, and with time, you can strive to reach that optimal fitness age. Maybe Chuck Norris should be called in to endorse the Wii, since thirty minutes of boxing, golf and tennis every day could work wonders for improving the fitness level of your average gamer.

Hahahhahahahhahahahhaa

And when SSBB comes out is when I'll get a Wii. Right now Twilight Princess, Trauma Center and Metal Slug are interesting, but not to the point in investing in a new console. In any case, time is what will show how devs will actually harness the Wii's potential.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The classic gamepad is really just for the Virtual console. So one would be crippling oneself by trying to use it for a Wii game.

And Super Smash Bros. Brawl. :))

Actually, the Wii has slots for 4 GC controllers and memory cards. The next Smash Bros will be designed for the GC controller. if you have a gc controller, I doubt the classic controller will be needed.

Yeah, but I don't have any gamecube controllers... :)

I guess the Wii is well worth its money but if one waits for one year or so, he might get it cheaper (50 dollars-euros less)

Cheaper, maybe

DVD playback, yes!

Don't you already have a DVD player or two or three?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152902

that's it, I am outraged! How the heck am I supposed to play the new zelda now? Oh, WTH, I will buy myself a GC later in the next year... It will surely be cheap enough...