What are you playing now?

Darque

I came home last week to find a gift from some relatives out in British Columbia. Turns out they bought me Half Life 2 Episode 1. Unfortunately I had never played Half Life 2 itself. Just purchased a copy of Half Life 2 so I'm now about to go through both of these games for the first time. :)

Enjoy! :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I came home last week to find a gift from some relatives out in British Columbia. Turns out they bought me Half Life 2 Episode 1. Unfortunately I had never played Half Life 2 itself. Just purchased a copy of Half Life 2 so I'm now about to go through both of these games for the first time. :)

Enjoy! :)

I second this wish. Though I played the original HL years ago, HL2 stands on its own, and is lots of fun. Has great atmosphere too, and many places worth stopping at to enjoy the view.

My 360 says different.

yes, it would, wouldn't it. sry. :)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

After almost 2 and a half years, I cancelled my WoW account. It was a good run, and I'd be happy if every game gave me even a 1/10th of the enjoyment I got out of it. I'm cancelling because I'm pretty sold on Vanguard, and I've just had enough of WoW. The expansion also just didn't excite me enough.

I do still pay for my wife's account though, so I can always jump on that one and play for a bit if I'm jonesin'

I am considering expanding my game library to include Half Life 2, but I haven't played Half Life 1. So two questions. 1) Does it look better than the X Box version? 2) Do I have to play Half Life 1 to know what is going on in Half Life 2?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I am considering expanding my game library to include Half Life 2, but I haven't played Half Life 1.  So two questions.  1) Does it look better than the X Box version?  2)  Do I have to play Half Life 1 to know what is going on in Half Life 2?

Yes (well, technically the answer is "it depends"). No.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

How story driven is it? I know its not a CRPG but I can almost get into any game if it has a good story to it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

For a regular FPS it's fairly story driven. That doesn't mean a whole lot, though. But as I'm not a fan perhaps I should shut up.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wow. I guess that makes me a fanboi, then, because I finished it in under 20 hours after it was released. :D

The original Half-Life is indeed a classic; the atmosphere and the story still hold up today ... which is why I can't wait until Black Mesa: Source is finished. I expect I'll replay λ many, many times.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

How story driven is it?  I know its not a CRPG but I can almost get into any game if it has a good story to it.
Does it even have a story? :lol:

[insert broken record pic]

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Wow. I guess that makes me a fanboi, then, because I finished it in under 20 hours after it was released. :D

The original Half-Life is indeed a classic; the atmosphere and the story still hold up today ... which is why I can't wait until Black Mesa: Source is finished. I expect I'll replay λ many, many times.

I saw a few pics of that. It does look good.

Both Half-Life and Half-Life 2 indeed have stories. I think that the story of Half-Life 2 is not as strong as the original, but it's there.

It has a bizarre narrative style though, where you don't actually leave the eyes of Gordon, and Gordon doesn't say anything. Given it's narrative style, and the fact that it's a linear game, it is possible to play it without paying attention to the story (which you could probably say for all linear games).

I think Half-Life is more interesting because the overall goal of Gordon Freeman changes throughout the game. The goal Gordon ultimately has in Half-Life 2 doesn't really change, except maybe at one part. But it's of smaller scale than the Half-Life shifts.

Deraldin's incident is actually pretty interesting. Perhaps naming the expansion to Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episode One, was not the best naming convention.

My views of First person view isn't going to change but I am willing to give it a go for a FPS. It would be nice to see a Third Person Shooter though. :D

It would be nice to see a Third Person Shooter though.  :D

You say that like you think they don't exist.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Do they exist on the PC?

Do they exist on the PC?

Max Payne was a very popular title of note. As is Hitman. Can't forget the Splinter Cell series.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Max Payne definitely epitomizes it for recent games. THe first one also has a really good story IMO.

Splinter Cell is a lot more sneaking, but Chaos Theory is one of my favourite games of all time. The story and gameplay are just an excellent mix.

Hitman is a bit more inbetween, in that it promotes sneaking around, but it also just as easily allows for guns blazing. I found the first couple of games VERY unforgiving, but Blood Money was a ton of fun.