A question about PC game registration

alanschu

I'm just curious how many people take the time to register the PC games they buy?

I usually register all of my games, since it provides some feedback to the company about the types of games I am interested in and whatnot, and I was just curious if other people did the same thing.

The reason why I brought this up is I just registered Madden 07, and it asks questions such as whether I have a DVD drive, my preferred gaming platform of choice, and so on.

The DVD one in particular caught my eye, because I know a lot of people in North America are annoyed that more games don't come out on DVD (though it's less of an issue now IMO). It's hardly scientific, but I'm the only person in my group of PC gaming friends who bothers to register my games, so maybe PC gamers are unknowingly giving themselves a quieter voice than they really need?

Discuss. Or not.

The only games I've ever registered are NWN, KOTOR, and NWN2. And I generally don't answer those kinds of questionnaires.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Whats the point ?

Usually all you get for your trouble is spam and access to an FAQ database.

You provide feedback to the game company about the game styles you are interested in. You also provide hardware specifications such as DVD drive capability.

People claim that DVDs should have been the mainstay for years now, but if the registrations that they get are from people that all answer 'no' to that question, why should they think that the bulk of their target base does have DVD drives?

I understand that the biggest vote is the sale itself (money talks), but I guess I just figure that taking the time to tell them the game types that I am interested in, as well as some information about my computer and my gaming preferences is worth it.

Oh well.

I never register any software unless Im forced to. All you normally end up with is an increase in spam activity.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'd say so.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I usually don't "register" in the traditional sense. Several games I've purchased recently have had some form of implicit registration, e.g., Steam games, Guild Wars, etc. The only "survey" I ever completed was Valve's excellent hardware survey where some script automatically scanned my hardware within a fraction of a second, prepared a report and sent it to Valve, and also showed me some nice bar charts on the data they had collected thus far.

Put me in the Never Register category. Except occaisonally when I am forced to do so in order to download patches and what not.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Oh, one more thing, since I realized it later on.

Admittedly there's not much tangible incentive to do so, but I did think it was pretty cool that Electronic Arts gave every person that registered Ultima 9 a free remastered CD with all of the patches built right in.

Also included was a letter of apology for the state that the original game was sent in.

That was pretty neat.

I've registered very few games. The Sims 2 and Beyond Good and Evil were two of them, and I can't remember many others beyond that. When I don't register games it's because either a) sometimes there isn't a way to register the games (old games, for instance), or b) sometimes it just so happens Nintendo doesn't like Portugal and won't let me register my Gamecube, Cube titles, Gameboy Advance and GBA titles at all because they'll only accept other countries.