So how buggy is NWN2?

Atreides

Well, crap, just found out I am susceptible to the Toolset That Won't Load bug. Bio forums & obs devs suggest framework, dvd firmware, vidcard drivers and so forth, but nothing does it for me, and for a few others as well.

It's a pretty serious bug, so I supose that's my first big tick off against NWN2's polish. Really deflates me since I dont plan on starting the campaign again so quickly.

I just tried using the toolset for the first time. I cant use the toolset either, I get an error message at the loading screen.

This simply sucks.... I dont think any game has ever had a worse release. And the game is still thisbug infested after two patches. I dread to think of what the game would play like if I hadnt patched it.

And the game is loaded with clipping errors. Once my party clipped right through a chest. Chain helmets look downright stupid on elves with the ears sticking out. And in about a third of the cutscenes, I cant see what is going on or who is speaking because the camera is positioned in a wierd place.

There are also many quest and also game stopping bugs that are due to cutscenes not triggering properly.

This simply sucks.... I dont think any game has ever had a worse release.

uh, toee anyone, ultima 9 anyone, pool of radiance anyone, bloodlines anyone, NWN1 anyone???

i can see now how you manage to label the rest of us fanboys. from your obvious prejudice, anyone else is _obviously_ just a fanboy.

if you hate this game so much, STOP PLAYING IT!!!

sheesh...

:thumbsup:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

uh, toee anyone, ultima 9 anyone, pool of radiance anyone, bloodlines anyone, NWN1 anyone???

i can see now how you manage to label the rest of us fanboys. from your obvious prejudice, anyone else is _obviously_ just a fanboy.

sheesh...

taks

Ultima 9 and Blodlines yes, NWN1 no, not like this.

IB1OsQq.png

Here's a funny one...

I was returning to

Capt. Brelaina (she's beautiful so I return often) to tell her of our elimination of the githyanki 'assassin' threat. Upon arrival I found a female member of the Nine waiting to address the Captain.

I clicked on this knight to see her description and what pops up? "This is a lizardman." :thumbsup:

I have a gig (1024mb) of RAM and things run okay for me. I get slowdowns when enemies spawn onto the map, and in the fire giant mountains, but I usually have to play for hours before the game becomes unstable. Then again, rarely it will lock up just minutes into play. I never see an error as it either locks the system completely so I have to do a hard reset, or it bombs to the desktop. Kind of hard to report errors when there's no information provided.

If your virtual memory subsystem isn't up to par, you can experience memory errors. Remember than all modern Windows systems treat your hard drive like an extension of system memory. Thus it's good to defrag regularly. It's also a good idea to kill all unnecessary tasks while the game is running, so nothing competes with it for CPU resources. Since I don't play the game online, I also put my cablemodem on standby to cut the internet connection; this can help because it keeps the firewall from logging intrusion attempts and so on.

Overall my experience with game and toolset stability has been slightly better than average.

Spell battles don't affect my computer, but some areas (or perhaps their scripts) do cause regular pauses now and then.

Here's a funny one...

I was returning to

Capt. Brelaina (she's beautiful so I return often) to tell her of our elimination of the githyanki 'assassin' threat. Upon arrival I found a female member of the Nine waiting to address the Captain.

I clicked on this knight to see her description and what pops up? "This is a lizardman." :thumbsup:

LOL, FUNNY bug! :D

....or a great spy! :ph34r:

IB1OsQq.png

sheesh...

taks

Ahahahaha. Ultima 9. Hahahaha.

After I received updated CDs, the game was much more playable, too bad it ran like a stuck pig. At least it didn't implode on me.

On the plus side, they didn't have to worry about people pirating it. I remember a friend of mine tried pirating it, and he said it was unplayable, and since patching pirated copies is not usually an easy thing. I laughed my ass off :D

u9 was simply unfinished even by all of the developers' accounts. this was why lord british left the team. the patch made it playable on my system, though it took nearly 2 years before technology allowed me to really play it. then i discovered all the holes in the game. oh my was it done poorly. a really sad ending to an otherwise great series (yeah, mario ultima wasn't the best, but it was better than 9).

taks

It's funny, because I work with NWN at work, and one of the grad students was bitching because even though the engine is many years old, it still jerks. And he's on a dual core Pentium with an ATI x850 card.

The wierd thing is that when we dumped the settings down to minimum, the stutter didn't go away.

btw, i should note that after a few patches with NWN1, it worked much better. however, not every update (and there were many) did favors for me. some caused more problems than i wanted, others were benign.

taks

Ultima IX and NWN run like a dream on my computer, even though NWN2 has issues.

I had the horizons cranked out to the engine's max capacity in U9 and it looked sweet, though it also revealed just how cramped the game 'world' was. The only glitch was a delay when opening books/scrolls that was caused by running it under D3D instead of glide (or glide wrapper), but I finally got rid of the game. At one point I had edited all of the stores, books, and item/object descriptions. Some other fans had released a dialog patch to help eliminate some of the stupidity, but I didn't feel it went far enough.

In NWN I cranked everything I could and often encountered scenes that rivaled NWN2 for beauty and immersiveness. Sure, models were simpler and there wasn't any fog to speak of, but the wind blew, the crickets chirped, the grass and banners swayed, and so on. I enjoyed parking in that game to enjoy the view.

So far in NWN2 I haven't been so inspired, though the view behind Daeghun's house is nice. Perhaps when I upgrade and can finally play this game at a decent resolution (1680x1050) with all features enabled, then I'll be able to use it as a screensaver.

Oh, regarding NWN2 bugs...

The vein of ore that doesn't work is in the bottom level of

Logram's caves, where the shadow priest is located. You can click on it and click on it and it won't work. No XP, no mining later when you have a stronghold.

Also I find it odd that all the ore deposits have immersion-killing names, like TILE_ORE_CV1 or some such.

If you're interested, you can go to your savegame folder, under the Neverwinter Nights 2 folder in My Documents, and edit the Globals.xml file. This file contains all the current global variables for that saved game. Among other things, there are the variables for current ore deposit count (I added one point to account for the bugged deposit I found), and companion influence levels (I'm currently at 12 with

Elanee

, 11 with

Khelgar

, 7 with

Casavir

, and -3 with

Neeshka

). Note that influence variables aren't added to the file until you've adventured with someone long enough to influence them once. If you open the file in IE, you can right-click and View Source, then edit the source file and save it. Refresh IE to see the changes. Be careful with this file because you could break quests and possibly even ruin your chances of finishing the game. :unsure:

Well ran into a game-stopping bug last night, after cleaning up my saves.

After Shandra was abducted from the Sunken Flagon, I told Bishop that we wouldn't head out yet. I then left the inn to buy and sell equipment. When I spoke to Bishop next (after overwriting the save I was using), the option to head to Luskan was not available.

Due to me cleaning up saves and preparing for a new build for my character, I was left with no recourse for that save. Bummer :unsure:

Still, this is the first bug that I believe I've encountered.

Awesome,

I didn't know you could leave her there. I was always Mr. Nice Guy and invited her along, so there was never an abduction. She was with us right up to where we entered AJ's Haven. This next time I'll leave her in the tavern so as not to tarnish my relationship with Elanee. I'm really close to that point now.

I've run into several bugs/issues, but I have an eye for that sort of thing.

Also, revisiting the

dead nobles

issue...

Capt. Brelaina mentioned another dead noble last night, but she makes it sound like there have only been two, yet three names have been dicussed so far (not by her, but by Duncan and Sand, who aren't figures of authority). This particular segment of the game is rather confusing, but thankfully it's cosmetic.

After Shandra was abducted from the Sunken Flagon, I told Bishop that we wouldn't head out yet.  I then left the inn to buy and sell equipment.  When I spoke to Bishop next (after overwriting the save I was using), the option to head to Luskan was not available.

uh, i thought you could just go to the world map transition with bishop and

luskan

would be there... it seems that's what i did anyway.

wistrik, u9 runs like a dream on my system, too. but that game was released when, 6 years ago? it was pretty cutting edge for its time, and pretty broken. it's hardly cutting edge anymore, however.

taks

Ultima IX and NWN run like a dream on my computer, even though NWN2 has issues.

Ultima 9 better run like a dream on your computer. It was released like 6 or 7 years ago.

I know, I was among the first to get copies of it. I was there when Origin shut down the forums prior to european release, and I was one who received a new install disk in the mail. I installed it again after I upgraded my computer a year ago, just to see how it would run, and I wasn't disappointed. But after that I cleaned out my old game CDs and got rid of a bunch of them.

I still have Ultima 1 through 8 archived in a special folder. I'm an old Ultima fan, since 1983. I won't touch the online stuff though.

Edited by Wistrik

After Shandra was abducted from the Sunken Flagon, I told Bishop that we wouldn't head out yet.  I then left the inn to buy and sell equipment.  When I spoke to Bishop next (after overwriting the save I was using), the option to head to Luskan was not available.

uh, i thought you could just go to the world map transition with bishop and

luskan

would be there... it seems that's what i did anyway.

taks

It didn't show up on my map :unsure: