NWN2: Computer Requirements Q

Sammael

cool. i'm due for an upgrade myself, but i have about a half a dozen other things i need, all in the $300+ range. pooter gets to wait. it'll probably be summer before i get to upgrade anything other than extra memory.

given the issues with my mobo (8237 HDD controller died), i'm probably going to do a complete wipe and do the duo.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I can run Oblivion fine with this:

P4 1.8

512 RAM

Radeon 9600 256

40Gb Matrox 7200

WinXP Pro

Will NWN2 run?

:huh:

That's about as close to the exact same specs that I have as you can get. I've been running at 1024 with everything off (except textures at medium) and I'm getting 10-15FPS in most situations. There are a couple things that just horribly kill my framerate, one of them being big spell battles and the other being the winter room in the temple of seasons. :brows:

Semaphores, and Mutual exclusion, stuff like dekkers algorithm, are surprisingly simple.

Deceptively simple concepts, yes, but it's a b*tch to write complex and efficient programs with them and reason about their correctness. Lock-free approaches (such as transactional memory) greatly simplify the programming and reasoning process.

I can run Oblivion fine with this:

P4 1.8

512 RAM

Radeon 9600 256

40Gb Matrox 7200

WinXP Pro

Will NWN2 run?

:huh:

That's about as close to the exact same specs that I have as you can get. I've been running at 1024 with everything off (except textures at medium) and I'm getting 10-15FPS in most situations. There are a couple things that just horribly kill my framerate, one of them being big spell battles and the other being the winter room in the temple of seasons. :brows:

So if I play at 800x600 with everything on the low I should be able to get 20-25 FPS?

Semaphores, and Mutual exclusion, stuff like dekkers algorithm, are surprisingly simple.

Deceptively simple concepts, yes, but it's a b*tch to write complex and efficient programs with them and reason about their correctness. Lock-free approaches (such as transactional memory) greatly simplify the programming and reasoning process.

Conceptually, I agree... I haven't had to work on such a system yet so... To me it's all theory, but i certainly understood the principles easily enough.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

So if I play at 800x600 with everything on the low I should be able to get 20-25 FPS?

Turn v-sync off with everything on low at 1024 and you should be able to get 20FPS in most areas. Outdoor areas just wandering around I seem to get around 24fps, but indoors and during relatively large fights I get around 10fps. I haven't noticed any difference in FPS going from low to high textures. :)

My new rig is here, and I am now in pursuit of NWN2.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

i've got everything on "high" (high textures, linear mapping) with no shadows, no bloom, no water using 1024x768 @ 85 Hz and i'm getting up to 60 fps outdoors and around 20-30 indoors. it dips a bit when there are a lot of critters/NPCs running about. massive spell fights also dip, but not quite to slide-show mode. (i've got a vanilla 128 MB 6800 with the extra pipes turned on).

good luck on your adventure sammael. i'm envious of your new system. looking at what it will take for me to do the same came up to around $1500 for a mid-level system. ugh.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

$1500 is about how much this system cost me with VAT (18%... UGH). Plus another $250 for mouse (MX Revolution) and keyboard (G15). And it pains me to admit that it's still considered a mid-level system.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Well, I can run it!

systemrequirementslabs.com says only my CPU is below minimum reqs so I borrowed a copy, installed and patched it and it runs. Slowly.

I have the character shadows on medium and in the advenced tab all the windows in which you have 3 otions including "Point" are set to the middle option.

Everything else is at minimum with resolution at 800x600.

So I'll lower some settings and see what happens...

It doesn't recognise my CPU, either, and says it fails. That's because I have a Pentium M, which was never sold cheap enough to become mainstream. But it is quite adequate to play NwN2. :)

I have a P4 1.8... :p

You are .1 ahead of me. 400FSB motherboard sucks. I can't upgrade anything on it except the graphics card. :)

It doesn't recognise my CPU, either, and says it fails. That's because I have a Pentium M, which was never sold cheap enough to become mainstream. But it is quite adequate to play NwN2. :)

I have a P4 1.8... :(

You are .1 ahead of me. 400FSB motherboard sucks. I can't upgrade anything on it except the graphics card. :(

Without changing my MB I can still upgrade up to P4 2.4(s478) and to 1GB of RAM, of which I have half now.

I think I'll start by adding RAM, see what that does. I just want an increase in FPS, I don't mind the horrible graphics for now.

Edited by astr0creep

Without changing my MB I can still upgrade up to P4 2.4(s478) and to 1GB of RAM, of which I have half now.

I think I'll start by adding RAM, see what that does. I just want an increase in FPS, I don't mind the horrible graphics for now.

There used to be 2.4GHz P4's with a 400FSB that would overclock real well, but unfortunately for me I haven't seen any in at least 2 years now. :(

I've got the two memory slots. Both are being used right now although one has a 256 while the other is a 512. I could bump that up, but considering the rest of the computer I don't really see much point in it right now.

I have a P4 1.8... ;)

The Pentium M is quite competitive with the AMD chips, and definitely much better than the burst architecture of the pre-Core 2 Duo Intel CPUs.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have a P4 1.8... :)

The Pentium M is quite competitive with the AMD chips, and definitely much better than the burst architecture of the pre-Core 2 Duo Intel CPUs.

I understand everything you just said. Oh yes. I do. Honest.

:thumbsup:

I'll summarize...

Intel Core 2 = Good

Intel Pentium M = Good

AMD Athlon64 = Good

Intel Pentium 4 = Bad

Intel Pentium D = Bad

:thumbsup:

P4 is bad? I thought it was more like average.

Where does a Celeron stand? Worst?

Celerons don't deserve to be on the same list. *kicks old computer* <_<