Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (DX10)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Your motherboard needs to support SLI (for Nvidia) and no, you can't combine two different cards. The video cards has to be the same model.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Lame ass newegg is out of the BFG's, so they give me a refund instead. A refund! LOL!

:)

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Buying a just released video card is just like buying a newly released console. They are going to go fast, be buggy, and someone... somewhere... will beat up a 15 year old kid to get it.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Bok, is this true? :(

Did you bash up a fifteen-year-old child?

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Meta dude, you're confusing this with the PS3.

But yeah I took the refund and ordered an Evga 8800 gtx this time. Screw BFG LOL.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Are there going to be any midrange cards out for DirectX10 $200-300?

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I think there will be next year. It's not like they'll be really needed soon or anything since Crysis got pushed back to next Fall *angry*

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
There are rumors that the Geforce 8600 series will debut in February along with ATI's batch of DX10 cards. This is a major blow to my plans on building a computer...

Should i buy a 7900GS to hold me over until February or buy a 88000 GTS now? hmmph. I think I'll just get a 7900gs now.

Edited by WITHTEETH, 23 November 2006 - 03:05 PM.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
Why buy a card if you're getting a new one in less than four months?

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ill just stick with the 7900GS for a year is what im implying.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts

Because we like to throw money down the drain?

I'm personally getting the best DX10 card available whenever Crysis (and company) is released. Even though I am extremely satisfied with my one month old Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX, and still haven't found a game that will get it on its knees (although I haven't tried either Gothic 3 or Oblivion on it..). The most impressive game so far has been Battlefield 2. That game really is beautiful in 1280x1024 with everything on max and 60+ fps! I never knew that 6x AA could make such a difference :aiee:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Oh yea, you should see 16x AA :aiee:)

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
I probably will:

Posted Image

Using the R600!!

Source: http://vga.zol.com.cn/46/468342.html

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Not sure what is at the end of that link, mkreku, but here's some Rumour & Innuendo! :lol:)

Watchman

Watchman

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 163 posts
Ya, these 8800 cards cool, but they are also so new, we will not see them realy do what they were made to do until the following critearia are met:

The cards need up-to-date computers

They need Microsoft Windows Vista

The games need DirectX 10 encoded games

Until then they are just kick @#$ X9 cards with a big price tag. Anyone getting them can know that they will not fade out of usefulness for some time.

As far as I know the 360 and PS3 do not have DirectX10. They have parts that can do some of it but graphicly they will fall behind the tech curve when this gets up and running.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
My friend (the one with the two 30" monitors and a 7600 GPU) is swearing at nVidia because of the poor driver support, currently.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
I had a Geforce 7800 for a while, but I couldn't stand the constant problems with the drivers. Every time I was trying to show a movie on my TV it gave me problems. It distorted the picture, sometimes not showing a picture at all and often it required a restart of the computer, but it never said so. I just happened to notice that I'd set all the parameters correctly and the damn thing still refused to work. But the next time I turned on the computer it was ok. For a while.

The damn card used to change the colours too! Sometimes everything even remotely movie-like turned all black. Streaming movies from Gamespot, downloaded game trailers in Quicktime format, everything. Then it was a struggle trying to balance the colour degrees. GOD I HATED THOSE DRIVERS! They were incompatible with a few games too, but I can't remember which right now. I just remember trying out one of my older games and it was impossible to play because of the artefacts.

I've sold that card now and I'm currently using a Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX instead. The only problem I've had with ATI's drivers was that they recommended that you'd install .NET 1.1 when you installed Catalyst Control Center. I accidentally installed .NET 2.0 instead because I thought 2.0 meant that 1.1 was included in the package. Apparently it wasn't.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Yeah the 8800 drivers were pretty crappish, but I think I finally found stability with the latest version.

And how can a 7600 do two thirty inch monitors?

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Yeah the 8800 drivers were pretty crappish, but I think I finally found stability with the latest version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

640x480 on each?

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, he's not playing Half-Life 2, he's using one JUST for online poker (albeit five hands at once), and then has a game (typically the copy of NwN2 I bought him for his birthday) running in a window that takes up the other screen ... but they are both running at native resolution (2500 x 1600 or whatever it is).

I don't know what he's doing to play the game, but I can only conclude he's not got all the juice on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users