Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (DX10)

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
But at what resolution are you trying to run the game, Bok?

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
Words of wisdom from Brother Kaftan.

Kaft, any suggestions on getting 30+ FPS during those ungodly lagastic indoor/dungeon/crypt areas?

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm really looking forward to Unreal Engine 3 now, it should go bonkers on this beast... Gears of War already looks absolutely phenomenal on the puny X360. Imagine running the engine on a Kentsfield/G80 setup. The fact that it runs so well on the 360 also indicates that it can probably extract every last bit of juice from a unified-shader architecture.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes

Words of wisdom from Brother Kaftan.

Kaft, any suggestions on getting 30+ FPS during those ungodly lagastic indoor/dungeon/crypt areas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For me, indoors areas are the ones with the highest FPS. I get lag/choppiness in outside areas which are brightly lit (like west harbour, that was way slower than neverwinter)

forcing off vsynch seemed to give some improvement, turning off shadows and normalmapped terrain makes it flow nicely except it looks like crap.

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts
Angs, what do you reckon is the minimum cost for a Kentsfield/G80 setup? I'm guessing the CPU+GPU alone will be around $1500, let alone the price of an entire system.

--

For me, indoors areas are the ones with the highest FPS. I get lag/choppiness in outside areas which are brightly lit (like west harbour, that was way slower than neverwinter)

forcing off vsynch seemed to give some improvement, turning off shadows and normalmapped terrain makes it flow nicely except it looks like crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk about the lack of v-sync toggle, huh? The game capped my LCD FPS at 30 so I had to manually disable that sucker form the GeForce control panel which fixed the problem.

Those damn Electron shadow options are probably the worst I've ever seen. It's sucks power faster than Bush on Veteran's Day. Can't turn all the options off however, as it'll looks something from an 80's game with dime sized pixels FFS.

Edited by jaguars4ever, 11 November 2006 - 05:20 AM.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Angs, what do you reckon is the minimum cost for a Kentsfield/G80 setup?  I'm guessing the CPU+GPU alone will be around $1500, let alone the price of an entire system.

Yeah that sounds like a reasonable estimate :aiee:. Hopefully prices should drop somewhat after R600 and 4x4 are launched, but it'll probably be a long while before it reaches the sub-$1000 mark. Fortunately, there's always Conroe E6600/8800GTS which is no slouch of a setup either, and you should be able to get that for $750 today. :D

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts

Bok will probably get it tomorrow, the blasted money pooper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It will arrive on Monday actually ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bok what do you do with all your old hardware? Because I'd be glad to take it off your hands for you.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
He probably makes model airplanes out of his month old pc parts.

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
:'(

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts

But at what resolution are you trying to run the game, Bok?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1680x1050

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
So what other card would you recommend to those who don't have the funds for the 8800?

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
AGain, depends on how much you want to spend. Assuming you're looking for the next cheapest rung below the 8800GTX and GTS: If you run only Windows, then I'd recommend the X1950XTX. If you need *nix support, then get the 7950GX2 or 7900GTX.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

NVidia spent 4 years developing this card. I don't call that taking shortcuts.

This card is also twice as fast as ATI's best card, in a day when new cards typically are considered good if they get half that much additional performance over current cards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:- :lol: :lol:
Ok Nividia Fanboy. You must be on the mailing list.

The 8800 is not twice as fast as the fastest ati card out. While the 8800 is fast, its not even close to twice as fast.

Clicky!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The previous issues with Nvidia not being able to do AA with HDR are history.

That's good to hear.

I'm damn impressed with what I've read so far about the 8X00 series (except perhaps size and power needs..), but I'm quite happy with my X1950XTX so far (I only game at 1280x1024) and I wouldn't make a purchase before seeing what the R600 is all about. I love when both companies release new generation cards and the war starts up again! :))

Of course, I won't be getting any of these babies until there's actually some use for DirectX10.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree 100% ... the problem now is that the (older!) cards don't power higher resolutions at all well enough, and the new 8800 isn't tried on DX10 ... also the ATi I have read is a better design (actually has unified shaders).

Though by the time any DX10-compatible games are released, we'll be a couple of card generations along from here. :deadhorse:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
This card overheats and artifacts up on me after awhile, and there are stories of it happening to other people.
Don't get me wrong, when it's working it's great; Oblivion 8xAA + HDR + all grafix sliders maxed = avg 38 fps, and I was able to play Cell Factor at max grafix /w motion blur.. 7800 would crap out if it tried to do motion blur..
But all that is worth NOTHING when the card jams up randomly. I'm going have to return this card, and wait for a better batch. Being early adopter can suck sometimes.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9128 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Hmm...I'd assume you have tons of cooling in your pc, and it's still doing it? Oh well...early versions are like that sometimes.

I'm still excited tho - the thought of being able to play at such high resolutions with relative ease is my kind of heaven.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I found the problem! I have resistor 68C.. Maybe I'll just get an exchange..

http://www.legitrevi.../article/417/1/

Edited by Bokishi, 12 November 2006 - 11:24 PM.

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9128 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Good link to read, thanks. Hopefully you'll find it to be accurate when/if you exchange it. :)

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts

I found the problem! I have resistor 68C.. Maybe I'll just get an exchange..

http://www.legitrevi.../article/417/1/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard about that a week or so ago, but didn't even consider it when you mentioned you were having problems. The vendor I heard mention it said that they had had their entire stock replaced. ^_^

@\NightandtheShape/@

@\NightandtheShape/@

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1561 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Grimmling

I wonder if Obsidian has had the opportunity to test NWN2 with these cards.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

NWN2's engine is very badly optimised so I doubt it would make that much of a differance. It doesnt really matter how big your engine is when the parking break is stuck.

( still an awesome game though )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True but I'm pretty certain it's not actually the GFX stuff that's slowing down the code it's something else, atleast i believe so, some internal in the engine.

Walsingham

Walsingham

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5647 posts
  • Location:The drawing room of Lady Muldoon's residence one morning in early spring
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I've got a dual card slot for my PC, with an NVIDIA card in it (I think 6900GT). Can I add a second card of a different more powerful type? And, more importantly, will they form a mismatched comedy duo?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users