Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (DX10)

LadyCrimson

NVidia spent 4 years developing this card. I don't call that taking shortcuts.

This card is also twice as fast as ATI's best card, in a day when new cards typically are considered good if they get half that much additional performance over current cards.

:-:lol::lol:

Ok Nividia Fanboy. You must be on the mailing list.

The 8800 is not twice as fast as the fastest ati card out. While the 8800 is fast, its not even close to twice as fast.

Clicky!!!

The previous issues with Nvidia not being able to do AA with HDR are history.

That's good to hear.

I'm damn impressed with what I've read so far about the 8X00 series (except perhaps size and power needs..), but I'm quite happy with my X1950XTX so far (I only game at 1280x1024) and I wouldn't make a purchase before seeing what the R600 is all about. I love when both companies release new generation cards and the war starts up again! :))

Of course, I won't be getting any of these babies until there's actually some use for DirectX10.

I agree 100% ... the problem now is that the (older!) cards don't power higher resolutions at all well enough, and the new 8800 isn't tried on DX10 ... also the ATi I have read is a better design (actually has unified shaders).

Though by the time any DX10-compatible games are released, we'll be a couple of card generations along from here. :deadhorse:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

This card overheats and artifacts up on me after awhile, and there are stories of it happening to other people.

Don't get me wrong, when it's working it's great; Oblivion 8xAA + HDR + all grafix sliders maxed = avg 38 fps, and I was able to play Cell Factor at max grafix /w motion blur.. 7800 would crap out if it tried to do motion blur..

But all that is worth NOTHING when the card jams up randomly. I'm going have to return this card, and wait for a better batch. Being early adopter can suck sometimes.

Hmm...I'd assume you have tons of cooling in your pc, and it's still doing it? Oh well...early versions are like that sometimes.

I'm still excited tho - the thought of being able to play at such high resolutions with relative ease is my kind of heaven.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Good link to read, thanks. Hopefully you'll find it to be accurate when/if you exchange it. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I found the problem! I have resistor 68C.. Maybe I'll just get an exchange..

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/

I heard about that a week or so ago, but didn't even consider it when you mentioned you were having problems. The vendor I heard mention it said that they had had their entire stock replaced. ^_^

I wonder if Obsidian has had the opportunity to test NWN2 with these cards.

NWN2's engine is very badly optimised so I doubt it would make that much of a differance. It doesnt really matter how big your engine is when the parking break is stuck.

( still an awesome game though )

True but I'm pretty certain it's not actually the GFX stuff that's slowing down the code it's something else, atleast i believe so, some internal in the engine.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I've got a dual card slot for my PC, with an NVIDIA card in it (I think 6900GT). Can I add a second card of a different more powerful type? And, more importantly, will they form a mismatched comedy duo?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Your motherboard needs to support SLI (for Nvidia) and no, you can't combine two different cards. The video cards has to be the same model.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Buying a just released video card is just like buying a newly released console. They are going to go fast, be buggy, and someone... somewhere... will beat up a 15 year old kid to get it.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

There are rumors that the Geforce 8600 series will debut in February along with ATI's batch of DX10 cards. This is a major blow to my plans on building a computer...

Should i buy a 7900GS to hold me over until February or buy a 88000 GTS now? hmmph. I think I'll just get a 7900gs now.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Why buy a card if you're getting a new one in less than four months?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Why buy a card if you're getting a new one in less than four months?

Because we like to throw money down the drain?

I'm personally getting the best DX10 card available whenever Crysis (and company) is released. Even though I am extremely satisfied with my one month old Sapphire Radeon X1950XTX, and still haven't found a game that will get it on its knees (although I haven't tried either Gothic 3 or Oblivion on it..). The most impressive game so far has been Battlefield 2. That game really is beautiful in 1280x1024 with everything on max and 60+ fps! I never knew that 6x AA could make such a difference :aiee:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

• 1 month later...

Ya, these 8800 cards cool, but they are also so new, we will not see them realy do what they were made to do until the following critearia are met:

The cards need up-to-date computers

They need Microsoft Windows Vista

The games need DirectX 10 encoded games

Until then they are just kick @#$ X9 cards with a big price tag. Anyone getting them can know that they will not fade out of usefulness for some time.

As far as I know the 360 and PS3 do not have DirectX10. They have parts that can do some of it but graphicly they will fall behind the tech curve when this gets up and running.