Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX (DX10)

LadyCrimson

I'm going to play it safe and see how ATI's are going to perform against the Nvidias that will be out at that time.  It seemed that Nvidia was rushing it, i wonder what kind of corners they might have cut if any? I know for sure they didn't cut the price.

After being merged with AMD, ATI are working on some rather nifty technlology. But, who knows if 2x32 pipelines and 80-65nm core will really make a differance?

My bet is that ATI will push their new top card to be slightly faster than Nvidias, whereupon Nvidia will counter with a 8900, then ATI does a an XXXTXXTX-something.. and on it goes.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

NVidia spent 4 years developing this card. I don't call that taking shortcuts.

This card is also twice as fast as ATI's best card, in a day when new cards typically are considered good if they get half that much additional performance over current cards.

your probably right, meanwhile the newer cards rise in price. Really, these prices are giving me a headache personally. Is it just me or are these CPU's, and GPU's getting abnormally expensive for the good stuff?

Is there a reason why this hardware is so expensive?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

NVidia spent 4 years developing this card. I don't call that taking shortcuts.

This card is also twice as fast as ATI's best card, in a day when new cards typically are considered good if they get half that much additional performance over current cards.

:thumbsup::(:p

Ok Nividia Fanboy. You must be on the mailing list.

The 8800 is not twice as fast as the fastest ati card out. While the 8800 is fast, its not even close to twice as fast.

Clicky!!!

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Ok Nividia Fanboy. You must be on the mailing list.

Wrong, and wrong. :thumbsup: I like whichever card is currently the best, and I'm on nobody's mailing list.

Thanks for helping prove my point. You must've been looking at the low-res comparisons. Anyone can do well at 1024x768. NVidia clobbers ATI at hi-res even with everything cranked to maximum settings, and hi-res is what some of us care about.

My expression 'twice as fast' was close enough. The reviews I've seen paint a consistent picture that's pretty close to that. Everyone's numbers are slightly different, so I used a generalization.

Edited by Wistrik

The 8800GTX is approximately 35% faster than the 7900GTX on average. The 1950XTX-whatever is a 1-2% percent faster than the 7900GTX

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Thanks for helping prove my point. You must've been looking at the low-res comparisons. Anyone can do well at 1024x768. NVidia clobbers ATI at hi-res even with everything cranked to maximum settings, and hi-res is what some of us care about.

My expression 'twice as fast' was close enough. The reviews I've seen paint a consistent picture that's pretty close to that. Everyone's numbers are slightly different, so I used a generalization.

Hmm, let's look at those benchmarks he posted shall we? Just looking at the maximum resolution for each graph...

Doom 3 4xAA 8xAF:   ATI=55.9FPS NV=59.4FPS Difference = 5%
FEAR 4xAA 8xAF:     ATI=24.0FPS NV=33.0FPS Difference = 27%
Oblivion: Outdoors: ATI=14.1FPS NV=21.6FPS Difference = 35%
          Indoors:  ATI=73.7FPS NV=91.3FPS Difference = 19%
                              Oblivion Avg Difference = 27%

Looks to me like it's around 20-25% better performance, atleast according to these figures. No where near double. <_< Still a damn good card though. :shifty:

You didn't specify the resolution. They test everything from 1024x768 up to 25xx whatever. I was referring to the upper resolutions, not the lower or mid resolutions. <_<

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, but I did see big differences in all three reviews linked by this thread, but those big differences were mostly in the highest resolutions. The cards are much more competitive in the mid to lower resolutions.

Edited by Wistrik

You didn't specify the resolution. They test everything from 1024x768 up to 25xx whatever. I was referring to the upper resolutions, not the lower or mid resolutions. <_<

I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, but I did see big differences in all three reviews linked by this thread, but those big differences were mostly in the highest resolutions. The cards are much more competitive in the mid to lower resolutions.

I did say I was taking the maximum resolutions in from each of the graphs. :( Just for reference that would be 2560x1600. :p)

This card pwns Oblivion, seriously.

What about NWN2?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm damn impressed with what I've read so far about the 8X00 series (except perhaps size and power needs..), but I'm quite happy with my X1950XTX so far (I only game at 1280x1024) and I wouldn't make a purchase before seeing what the R600 is all about. I love when both companies release new generation cards and the war starts up again! :aiee:)

Of course, I won't be getting any of these babies until there's actually some use for DirectX10.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

NWN2 still lags. And it's the uglier game, so it doesn't make sense.

Electron is a poorly written, poorly optimized engine so it needs more power to do less.

I heard something about the lead programmer either being fired or quit shortly before the release.

But at what resolution are you trying to run the game, Bok?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm really looking forward to Unreal Engine 3 now, it should go bonkers on this beast... Gears of War already looks absolutely phenomenal on the puny X360. Imagine running the engine on a Kentsfield/G80 setup. The fact that it runs so well on the 360 also indicates that it can probably extract every last bit of juice from a unified-shader architecture.

Words of wisdom from Brother Kaftan.

Kaft, any suggestions on getting 30+ FPS during those ungodly lagastic indoor/dungeon/crypt areas?

For me, indoors areas are the ones with the highest FPS. I get lag/choppiness in outside areas which are brightly lit (like west harbour, that was way slower than neverwinter)

forcing off vsynch seemed to give some improvement, turning off shadows and normalmapped terrain makes it flow nicely except it looks like crap.

Angs, what do you reckon is the minimum cost for a Kentsfield/G80 setup? I'm guessing the CPU+GPU alone will be around $1500, let alone the price of an entire system.

--

For me, indoors areas are the ones with the highest FPS. I get lag/choppiness in outside areas which are brightly lit (like west harbour, that was way slower than neverwinter)

forcing off vsynch seemed to give some improvement, turning off shadows and normalmapped terrain makes it flow nicely except it looks like crap.

Talk about the lack of v-sync toggle, huh? The game capped my LCD FPS at 30 so I had to manually disable that sucker form the GeForce control panel which fixed the problem.

Those damn Electron shadow options are probably the worst I've ever seen. It's sucks power faster than Bush on Veteran's Day. Can't turn all the options off however, as it'll looks something from an 80's game with dime sized pixels FFS.

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

Angs, what do you reckon is the minimum cost for a Kentsfield/G80 setup?  I'm guessing the CPU+GPU alone will be around $1500, let alone the price of an entire system.

Yeah that sounds like a reasonable estimate :aiee:. Hopefully prices should drop somewhat after R600 and 4x4 are launched, but it'll probably be a long while before it reaches the sub-$1000 mark. Fortunately, there's always Conroe E6600/8800GTS which is no slouch of a setup either, and you should be able to get that for $750 today. :D